MLB Steroid Melodrama

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not looking good for Palmeiro.

By LEE JENKINS
Published: August 3, 2005
The positive drug test that has left Rafael Palmeiro's legacy in doubt involved the potent anabolic steroid stanozolol, a person in baseball with direct knowledge of the sport's drug-testing program said yesterday.

Stanozolol, known by its brand name, Winstrol, was most notably linked to the Olympic sprinter Ben Johnson of Canada, who was stripped of a gold medal in 1988 after testing positive for that steroid.

Now Palmeiro, one of only four major league players with more than 3,000 hits and 500 home runs, is being associated with the same substance.

The person who said that Palmeiro tested positive for stanozolol did not want to be identified because the testing policy prohibits anyone in baseball from disclosing information about test results without authorization.

This revelation came on the day that Major League Baseball suspended its eighth player - and second in a span of 24 hours - for violating the drug-testing policy. Ryan Franklin, a starting pitcher for the Seattle Mariners, became the fourth major league pitcher suspended for steroid use. Like Palmeiro, Franklin appealed the suspension, but an arbitrator decided yesterday not to overturn it.

Palmeiro said Monday that he had never intentionally taken steroids, but stanozolol does not come in dietary supplements and is among the most popular steroids on the market. It can be ingested or injected and usually remains in a person's system for at least a month.

"It's a mildly strong to strong steroid," said Dr. Gary Wadler, a professor at New York University who is an expert in sports doping. "Potent is the word I would use."

Palmeiro, who testified in front of the House Committee on Government Reform in March that he never took steroids, spoke on the telephone yesterday with the committee chairman, Tom Davis, a Virginia Republican, according to Davis's spokesman, Rob White. Palmeiro said Monday that he tried to call Davis and planned on calling Henry A. Waxman of California, the ranking Democrat on the committee.

"Rafael was able to connect with Chairman Davis late this afternoon and assured him he will cooperate fully and provide his committee with any information it requests," Palmeiro's agent, Arn Tellem, said in a statement.

Yesterday Davis and Waxman were considering sending two letters, one to Major League Baseball asking for all of the specifics on the Palmeiro testing, another to Palmeiro asking him to cooperate in releasing that information. A final decision on the letters had not been made as of yesterday evening, a committee staff member said.

Palmeiro is probably not at risk of perjury charges for his finger-pointing, categorical denial of using steroids in his sworn testimony because the positive test was taken some weeks later, the committee staff member said, speaking on condition of anonymity because official statements are supposed to come from members of Congress.

In 2003 and 2004, Major League Baseball reported 128 positive steroid tests, including 74 for the steroid nandrolone (known commercially as Deca-Durabolin) and 37 for stanozolol. But last year, only one positive test was for nandrolone and 11 positive tests were for stanozolol, an indication of a changing trend.

Dr. Harrison G. Pope, a Harvard professor, psychiatrist and steroids expert, said nandrolone is detectable in the body for a much longer period than stanozolol. Nandrolone also was common in dietary supplements before it was added to the list of controlled substances in 2005.

According to The San Francisco Chronicle, the sprinter Tim Montgomery testified to a federal grand jury in 2003 that Victor Conte, head of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, told him he had given Winstrol to the San Francisco Giants' star slugger Barry Bonds. The Chronicle reported that in testimony to the grand jury, Bonds admitted to using a clear substance and a cream supplied by Balco and believed to be designer steroids but told federal prosecutors he did not know the substances were steroids. Bonds's lawyer, Michael Rains, has said that Bonds did not take illegal steroids.

Sometime after Palmeiro returns from his 10-day suspension, which is expected to be Aug. 12 against the Toronto Blue Jays, he will be tested again. Under the current drug-testing policy, every major league player is given one unannounced test a year and can also be subjected to random tests. Violators, however, are placed in a separate category. The health policy advisory committee sets up a schedule that ensures they will be tested at another unannounced date. So far this season, 1,000 drug tests have been administered in the major leagues - there are approximately 1, 200 players - and 900 have been processed.

The suspensions of Palmeiro and Franklin came after one of the most anticipated weekends of the baseball season, featuring the Hall of Fame induction ceremony and the passing of the non-waiver trading deadline. The timing is considered a coincidence because both Palmeiro and Franklin issued appeals and needed an arbitrator to hear their cases. While Palmeiro is the highest-profile player ever to be suspended for steroid use, Franklin is a little-known starting pitcher with a 6-11 record and a 4.63 earned run average this season. He told reporters yesterday that he tested positive in early May and negative three weeks later.

"There's got to be a flaw in the system," Franklin was quoted as saying by The Associated Press at Detroit's Comerica Park, before the Mariners played the Tigers. "I have no clue."

In a study conducted by The New York Times six weeks into this season, 63 minor league players had been suspended and 29 were pitchers. Now, half the players who have been suspended at the major league level are also pitchers.

Despite the stereotype of the muscle-bound slugger constantly trying to bulk up, many in baseball say pitchers may be using steroids to increase velocity, maintain strength over a long season, and recover more quickly between appearances.

"As a whole, we've probably been surprised by the number of pitchers that have been involved with it," Mets pitcher Tom Glavine said earlier this season. "I think there was a perception it wouldn't do anything for pitchers. I think we probably all realize we might be wrong."

Murray Chass and Duff Wilson contributed reporting for this article.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now if Bud Selig had any testicular fortitude, he would ban disclosed juicers from the Hall of Fame a la Pete Rose..... or let Pete Rose in.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay Mariotti
With Palmeiro, it's three lies and you're out

August 4, 2005

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST
Advertisement

Click to learn more...

WASHINGTON -- A man known for hitting the big fly, 569 times, has been caught in The Big Lie. Turns out Rafael Palmeiro is the pharmaceutical Pinocchio, a con man of the lowest order, the new symbol of a scandal as dirty as Pete Rose and the Black Sox. I understand this is the Enron age and that ethical misconduct is more common than a sunrise, but I'm having difficulty getting past the snapshot of Palmeiro under oath on Capitol Hill, wagging his finger and saying he never, ever used steroids.

Let us detail the trail of deceit since then. If there was a Raffy Cam in his current place of hiding, we could watch his nose grow. At some point in the weeks after his Congressional appearance, Palmeiro would use what reportedly is the same potent anabolic steroid, stanozolol, that shamed sprinter Ben Johnson for life at the Seoul Olympics. That would be Big Lie No. 1. When his drug test turned up positive, Palmeiro appealed and was allowed by Major League Baseball to continue to play and achieve his 3,000th hit, which would be Big Lie No. 2 and one of the darker ''celebrations'' in baseball history. When his appeal was denied and he was suspended Monday for 10 days, Palmeiro said on a conference call that he didn't ''intentionally or knowingly'' use a steroid, which sure as hell sounds like Big Lie No. 3.

In baseball, three strikes means you're out. In this case, three strikes means he's definitely out of the Hall of Fame and spit out of luck if Congress finds he committed perjury on St. Patrick's Day. The first baseman of the Baltimore Orioles just might wind up a jailbird, a harsh thought but maybe the only thing that will convince professional athletes to stop using steroids, breaking the law and sending bad messages to kids.

Phony as it was to use a steroid after saying he doesn't use steroids, his subsequent cover-up is more pathetic. Evidence is building that the positive test couldn't possibly be an accident, as Palmeiro claimed three days ago. Contrary to his comments that he could be a victim of an unprescribed supplement or even ''contamination'' -- he suggested ''food'' and ''vitamins'' in his limp explanation -- stanozolol is not available in dietary supplements and commonly is injected or ingested, which would seem to eliminate the possibility of someone sprinkling the stuff onto his morning Raisin Bran. The reaction from the baseball community is that we'd have to be stupid to believe Palmeiro was an unwitting victim.

As the increasingly credible Jose Canseco said Wednesday night: ''I truly believe that every professional athlete, especially elite athletes, with the money that they're making nowadays -- you know, $5, $10, $15, $25 million a year -- knows exactly what is going into their body.''

Selig adds to sham

Even more outrageous is that Palmeiro and Bud Selig -- we're still waiting for Mr. Magoo to be a commissioner and make a public statement condemning Palmeiro --- perpetuated the lie by going along with his 3,000-hit party. While Palmeiro was appealing in secret arbitration hearings, he was participating in a historic sham. Yes, Selig had to obey the legal process and let Palmeiro play. But did he have to approve and sign a full-page ad in USA Today congratulating the tainted hero for his milestone? Couldn't he have pulled it? Or was he hoping Palmeiro would somehow be cleared, as the player's agent, Arn Tellem, continued to suggest as recently as Monday? Obviously, Selig is ashamed that the heretofore classy Palmeiro, one of his shining lights that day in Congress, has humiliated the sport more than anyone else in The Steroids Era. But it isn't Selig's job to hope for a public-relations miracle, wait out the storm or contribute in the spin-control process.

He needs to step out, with his hammer, and try his damnedest to impose a tougher system of penalties that would suspend a first-time offender such as Palmeiro for 50 games. He needs to express deep disappointment in Palmeiro and hold him up as a negative lesson for kids. It seems Bud Light is in mourning when he should be saying the system works and that players should be ashamed for continuing to use steroids. When eight players, including Seattle pitcher Ryan Franklin on Tuesday, have tested positive in the months after Capitol Hill, it's clear players think they can get away with anything and will continue to try. A 10-day suspension, obviously, is not an effective deterrent. Fortunately, Congress is revving up for more fireworks, this time with no laughter from a peanut gallery that now respects these men and women for blowing open the scandal. Not only will they investigate Palmeiro for perjury with his total cooperation --- they may invite more players to the Hill.

How about Barry Bonds? Why should he skate from the hot lamps when Palmeiro, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa had to deal with the interrogators? And this time, demand names. Sosa, for what it's worth, told Baltimore reporters that he doesn't use steroids. ''I don't have that problem, OK?'' he said. ''My situation is I eat well and I get my rest. This is my philosophy. I don't use that stuff. Chicken, rice and beans. That's my protein.''

He must have moved on from Flintstones vitamins, his stated drug of choice in 1998 when McGwire was doing androstenedione. Congress also might want to commence proceedings to rub out union chief Don Fehr, whose footing never has been weaker. And how about discussions about adopting the Olympic system of drug punishment? What about trying to regulate the substances that enter a baseball clubhouse?

Buehrle has it right

I'm glad to hear Mark Buehrle of the White Sox refer to steroids users as ''stupid'' and say he doesn't ''use too much stuff,'' the approach all major-leaguers should take in this scrutinized era. A pro athlete's body should be his temple, right? Shockingly, not all players agree. New York Mets slugger Cliff Floyd, the south suburban native, blew me away when he said, ''If you're doing this to take care of your family because you have been in the minors for years, how can I knock you for that?'' A man's conscience, Cliff, is more important than making $3 million a year. Then there was Jason Giambi, whose legacy has been smeared permanently by his own steroids mess, not sounding like the guy who apologized about a zillion times when he returned to the Yankees. Asked about Palmeiro's bust, he shrugged.

''He's a phenomenal player. He's accomplished unbelievable things,'' Giambi said. ''It's just an unfortunate thing, that's all.''

That's all? Either the guy is in denial or he doesn't get it, probably the latter.

The crisis continues, and what's crazy is, Canseco the lunkhead has become the most influential man in the game. He says he may write a second book about 'roids.

Can't wait to read it. He's the only one telling the truth.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could two more players be suspended for steroids?

Rumor going around that two players could be suspended on Friday for steroids. I know it's only internet talk, but here is what I found:

I was just listening to ESPN 1000 here in the midwest and Mac, Jurko & Harry had also heard a report about two players being suspended by friday. No names were released.

I'm starting to believe more and more that this guys report is true.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Kay on his radio show also said 2 players will be suspended...I think he also said one would be in the AL, and one in the NL....1 lock for the hall of fame, one possible future hall of famer.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the same rumor, that two big names were to be suspended (a "sure-fire HOFer and a name that will make jaws drop" was what I had heard").

However, I also heard somebody say, "This rumor has gotten so out of control that MLB issued a press release denying that any big name players were currently protesting a positive steroid test." Whether or not that is true, I dont know.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets play guess the juiced player

Mine are

HOFer-Alex Rodrigez

Jaw dropper-Curt Schilling

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I'm going to say Clemens and Sosa. I hate to do it but I seriously think clemens is on something to be playing the way he is now.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Michael Kay on his radio show also said 2 players will be suspended...I think he also said one would be in the AL, and one in the NL....1 lock for the hall of fame, one possible future hall of famer.

I heard that exact report. According to Kay, not only was the AL guy a future sure fire Hall of Famer, but he was a name that would "shake baseball to it's knees if he's caught."

Leads me to believe it's either Jeter or A-Rod, two guys you'd never suspect.

I'm trapped by the NL guy. Maybe Helton.

AZZenny

Reaction score
AL - Randy Johnson.

NL - stumps me, too. I also thought Clemens. Jaw dropper? - hmm. Gonzo? Nomar? Pujols?

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I'm going to say Clemens and Sosa. I hate to do it but I seriously think clemens is on something to be playing the way he is now.

Sosa's not really one of those players that would be so shocking that baseball would be relegated to his knees by the announcement. One of the worst hidden secrets in baseball is the fact that Sosa's on the juice. So, to me if the announcement is of that high of a magnititude, it's gonna be someone you won't suspect. That all but eliminates Giambi, Sosa and Ivan Rodriguez.

Honestly, the names that immediately jump to mind as ones that would be "earth shattering shocking" are A-Rod, Jeter, The Unit (God Forbid) or Vlad.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Snake said:
Sosa's not really one of those players that would be so shocking that baseball would be relegated to his knees by the announcement. One of the worst hidden secrets in baseball is the fact that Sosa's on the juice. So, to me if the announcement is of that high of a magnititude, it's gonna be someone you won't suspect. That all but eliminates Giambi, Sosa and Ivan Rodriguez.

Honestly, the names that immediately jump to mind as ones that would be "earth shattering shocking" are A-Rod, Jeter, The Unit (God Forbid) or Vlad.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but everyone thinks Raffy was huge turning point in the whole steroids thing. For me it was Sanchez at the beginning of the season, he hit like 3 HRs in his life. I am now convinced 25% of all players use the roids (at least). Ryan Franklin for me too was huge, he was a player I really liked and was mostly a run of the mill picher.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but everyone thinks Raffy was huge turning point in the whole steroids thing. For me it was Sanchez at the beginning of the season, he hit like 3 HRs in his life. I am now convinced 25% of all players use the roids (at least). Ryan Franklin for me too was huge, he was a player I really liked and was mostly a run of the mill picher.

Oh, don't get me wrong.. Anytime ANYONE currently in the Majors tests positive, it's a big deal. I don't care if that person hits for 40 homers a year routinely or is a guy who bats below the Mendoza Line while serving as the occassionally used 8th outfielder on the Pirates.

With that said however, like I mentioned above, this person obviously has some kind of pull (name recognition) in the sport if news of his failed testing would "bring baseball to it's knees".

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Snake said:
Oh, don't get me wrong.. Anytime ANYONE currently in the Majors tests positive, it's a big deal. I don't care if that person hits for 40 homers a year routinely or is a guy who bats below the Mendoza Line while serving as the occassionally used 8th outfielder on the Pirates.

With that said however, like I mentioned above, this person obviously has some kind of pull (name recognition) in the sport if news of his failed testing would "bring baseball to it's knees".

I'm not very familiar with the policy but don't they have to have their names revealed if they fail?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
What I'm saying is in this age when you see someone hit 45-55 HRs you immeadiately think steroids. But then you find someone who hits leadoff with under 5 HRs a year is using steroids it just blows my mind. For example what if my favorite player, Carl Crawford, was found using steroids. Would anyone have suspected it?

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
Roger Clemens on Roids?

A friend of mine sent me an email saying he heard on Gambo and Ash that it is being reported that Roger failed a test. Did anyone else hear this?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sundevilscott said:
A friend of mine sent me an email saying he heard on Gambo and Ash that it is being reported that Roger failed a test. Did anyone else hear this?

Gambo and Ash were/are adamant that these are just rumors. The rumor is that MLB will announce Friday that Roger Clemens and a Red Sox CF (supposedly Gabe Kapler) failed tests.

Fark.com had a link to a report on Clemens and the Sox OF stuff comes from a WHITE Sox fansite (soxtalk.com).

A-Bomb

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
abomb said:
Gambo and Ash were/are adamant that these are just rumors. The rumor is that MLB will announce Friday that Roger Clemens and a Red Sox CF (supposedly Gabe Kapler) failed tests.

Fark.com had a link to a report on Clemens and the Sox OF stuff comes from a WHITE Sox fansite (soxtalk.com).

A-Bomb

If they do not think they are true they should not report this at all. It is that kind of crap that gets rumors flying.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sundevilscott said:
If they do not think they are true they should not report this at all. It is that kind of crap that gets rumors flying.

It isnt that they dont think they are true, it is that they had heard through sources last week that Clemens was currently in the appeal process for steroids. Add on a possible announcement and another player and I dont think there is anything wrong with discussing what is being talked about out there with the preface (which they did for 5 minutes) that what they were talking about was not a report or a first-hand credible source.

I guess we'll all know tomorrow, but it all seems to have some legs.

A-Bomb

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gabe Kapler? That's a real shocker. That guy's been 'roiding since 1998. :rolleyes:

Clemens testing positive for steroids would damage the foundation of baseball's supposed integrity.*

*If this does turn out to be true, nobody should be shocked. It's simply unheard of to rack the numbers Clemens has at his age in that ballpark.

Last edited:

Djaughe

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
...*If this does turn out to be true, nobody should be shocked. It's simply unheard of to rack the numbers Clemens has at his age in that ballpark.

I totally agree with you....this is gonna be a tough one to face.

Somewhere barry bonds pumpin his fists....

Kolo

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
*If this does turn out to be true, nobody should be shocked. It's simply unheard of to rack the numbers Clemens has at his age in that ballpark.

Nolan Ryan? Granted, I don't know where he pitched or what his numbers were, but I know he was still throwing heat into his mid-40's.

Then again, maybe he was juicing.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
Nolan Ryan? Granted, I don't know where he pitched or what his numbers were, but I know he was still throwing heat into his mid-40's.

Then again, maybe he was juicing.

He was popping Advils like they were candy!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard