Crash

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0622kerronline-ON.html

Kerr says Suns are in talks for Garnett

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 22, 2007 02:01 PM
Suns General Manager Steve Kerr acknowledged Friday that the Suns are talking about a trade for Minnesota 10-time All-Star Kevin Garnett but still termed a deal as "tough" to work out because of Garnett's contract and any big deal as a "long shot."

He also said no player is untradable but that it would take "an awful lot" to pry away a 24-year-old All-NBA first team center such as Amaré Stoudemire, the object of Minnesota's interest in the Garnett talks.

"As far as KG specifically, it's tough because of the contract," Kerr said, calling Garnett's listing of the Suns as his hope for a trade destination flattering.
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')

"We're listening to everything and we're trying to see what would be possible in that regard. The only way we would do it is if we could make our team better and do it in a financially viable way. So that's what we're exploring. We're exploring a lot of other stuff, too. That's what we do up there. We'll see where it takes us."

The major hang-ups in a Garnett trade are his contract and how Shawn Marion could be included. Garnett will make $22 million in each of the next two seasons and has an early-termination option next summer. Garnett also has a trade kicker that could add $3.3 million of salary to each year unless he chose to waive a portion of it.

Minnesota wants Stoudemire in return rather than Marion, making it necessary for a third team to be involved. Boston has interest in Marion but Marion's agent has squashed the idea of him landing with Danny Ainge, his first Suns coach. Marion also can opt out next summer but would be walking away from a 2008-09 salary of $17.8 million if he did so. Marion will make $16.4 million in the coming year, meaning other parts (as well as first-round picks likely) would have to be involved to make the salaries balance in a deal.

But having Garnett's interest become known raises the intrigue.

"Maybe because he's said, 'Hey, I want to be there,' maybe that part makes it a little more plausible," Kerr said. "Because if he's taking other teams out of the equation altogether, then it does narrow down the list. In that regard, maybe we'd have a better chance but again to get a guy like that, you have to give up an awful lot. We have to weigh whether we can even make it work out financially and whether it would make us better. We'll do all that research and see where it takes us."

Kerr said he has talked to eight to 10 teams about trade scenarios but that it takes the "perfect storm" to pull one off because of all the involved parties and their changing opinions.

Asked if Stoudemire is untradable, Kerr said, "Nobody's untradable. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar got traded. I tell all the guys and I've tried to visit with all the guys, as many as I could and have been able to on the phone, I can't ever promise someone that they're never going to be traded. That would be ridiculous. With that said, it would take an awful lot for that to happen. We love the guy. He's wise beyond his years. I think he's starting to understand the way the NBA works and he's accepting of that."

If Phoenix pulled off the deal, it could put Stoudemire and Garnett side by side for an imposing front line. It would also be an imposing front on the payroll with Stoudemire to make $63 million over the next four seasons.

"As soon as I looked at the financial part, I gagged and choked a little bit," Kerr said.

Did he mention that to Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver?

"I didn't tell him," Kerr joked. "I told him, 'It's going to work great. Perfectly. We'll be way under the cap, Robert. Don't worry about it.' I'll send him the bill later."

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Translation: "Hang in there, KG, we're still interested if you are. Keep making noise."

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Translation: "KG, we're really interested if you are. Start throwing some Kobe like fits if you want to be here."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure like the way Steve Kerr evaluates situations. I feel much more comfortable with him being the GM this year rather D'Antoni. He seems composed and is looking at the whole picture. He does not strike me as a person who would make a rash or unexplored decision.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Very true.

It's been up to KG from the beginning, honestly. If he caves or breaks focus, the Wolves will go right back to what they've been doing for the last five years or so.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I sure like the way Steve Kerr evaluates situations. I feel much more comfortable with him being the GM this year rather D'Antoni. He seems composed and is looking at the whole picture. He does not strike me as a person who would make a rash or unexplored decision.
I decided to wait for Kerr's three-week anniversary before I start writing eulogies. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to wait for Kerr's three-week anniversary before I start writing eulogies. ;)

What really caught by interest in Kerr is the diligence he has shown in exploring the whole NBA draft. IMO, this certainly did not occur last year or with BC's flawed strategy in ignoring Iggy and Deung.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
So there you go. This is why Kerr is the GM. When is the last time a GM explained the situation to his players and then came out and shared the details in the middle of a negotiation. I don’t know if it’s smart, but it is cool to hear news straight from the source. Extremely rare to have such timely information presented to fans. Obviously there are ulterior (back pressure) motives involved, but still cool to hear it firsthand.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So there you go. This is why Kerr is the GM. When is the last time a GM explained the situation to his players and then came out and shared the details in the middle of a negotiation. I don’t know if it’s smart, but it is cool to hear news straight from the source. Extremely rare to have such timely information presented to fans. Obviously there are ulterior (back pressure) motives involved, but still cool to hear it firsthand.

I agree. I think Kerr understands perfectly well that the only hope is to get Garnett to pressure McHale for the deal. Since he can't talk to Garnett directly, he talks to him in the media to add more fuel to the fire.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I give props to Kerr for waiting this long to come public. Aside from the anguish it has caused everyone on these boards, at least he didnt pull a mchale and deny this and that, then say something slightly different, then say they are in talks about garnett, all while trying to sneak a deal with boston that he KNEW garnett would veto.

Minnesota leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kerr for the win

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Coro's article is probably based on the exact same information Gambo and Ash got, except that Gambo and Ash draw their definite conclusions from that..

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"With that said, it would take an awful lot for that to happen."

Translation... KG for Amare is not enough and that won't happen.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
"With that said, it would take an awful lot for that to happen."

Translation... KG for Amare is not enough and that won't happen.

It would have to be Kevin Garnett +#7 (Noah I guess) for Amare, Thomas and Banks... to come close to making sense for us..

Since we have to deal KT with Amare basically for salary purposes or Diaw maybe, we would have to go big, Noah probably would fit better with Garnett than with Amare, dunno.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Since we have to deal KT with Amare basically for salary purposes or Diaw maybe, we would have to go big, Noah probably would fit better with Garnett than with Amare, dunno.

I think that's pretty lousy for the Suns. Garnett isn't really a low-post scorer, and Noah isn't a scorer at all. The Suns' offense would once again be reduced to Nash wandering around trying to find somebody to pass to.

Edit: I guess there's some chance Diaw could come back to life with Stoudemire gone, but I wouldn't want to gamble the future of the franchise on that.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I think that's pretty lousy for the Suns. Garnett isn't really a low-post scorer, and Noah isn't a scorer at all. The Suns' offense would once again be reduced to Nash wandering around trying to find somebody to pass to.

Edit: I guess there's some chance Diaw could come back to life with Stoudemire gone, but I wouldn't want to gamble the future of the franchise on that.

Or, if they trade Diaw, I could see us going with Julian Wright there, or Brewer in the off chance that he drops. However, what I would do, is deal Diaw straight up for Artest, and still take Noah, so then you can throw up a lineup of:

Steve Nash
Raja Bell
Ron Artest
Shawn Marion
Kevin Garnett

Or if you're feeling even more saucy, you deal Marion and the 24 for Sheed and 14 and you go with:

Nash
Bell
Artest
Sheed
Garnett

with Starbosa, Noah, and Critterton all coming off the bench. To me this is a great lineup, because not only can we run just as well as we used to, but we'd also be one of the best defensive teams in the NBA with three defensive first teamers and a great post defender in Sheed.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Artest and Wallace on the same team is like a mad science experiment.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Artest and Wallace on the same team is like a mad science experiment.

Hey, at least they'd be fun to watch.

And Artest gives us the perfect way to rid ourselves of Diaw and his fat contract. I think if you put him on a contender, and if you put him with great locker room guys like Nash and Garnett, then you can help him return to his form in Indiana before the brawl. This guy is a top fifteen player when properly tuned in.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty surpised that there isn't more fan backlash against Diaw. I loved him the first year but no one drove me crazy during the game like he did.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I am pretty surpised that there isn't more fan backlash against Diaw. I loved him the first year but no one drove me crazy during the game like he did.

I think there is plenty of backlash, but we've resigned ourselves to the fact that the Suns are stuck with him. As for Marion, it appears that Boston actually wants him, so to be denied this opportunity to part ways is particularly frustrating.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Sacramento is the only team desperate enough to take on Diaw... that is unless the Clippers rumors are true, and then we just do the Maggette trade.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
It would have to be Kevin Garnett +#7 (Noah I guess) for Amare, Thomas and Banks... to come close to making sense for us..

And interestingly enough, Noah is coming in for another workout shortly.

I'd consider an Amare (plus fillers) for Garnett + #7 trade, but I'm not sure if I'd pull the trigger.

sunsfn

Reaction score
And interestingly enough, Noah is coming in for another workout shortly.

I'd consider an Amare (plus fillers) for Garnett + #7 trade, but I'm not sure if I'd pull the trigger.

When you say another workout, has Noah been into Phx. for a workout already? Or are you saying he is going into MN for another workout?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

i think that's a "been there, done that" type of deal. we all had such high expectations for him at the beginning of the season and he came in fat and crappy. so a lot of us vented but some took a wait and see approach hoping he'd play into shape and be a difference maker. when that didn't happen we all just threw our hands up in disgust. by the end of the season we had all written him off to the point that when he only scored 1 point in game 6 not only wasn't it a surprise, but no one expected any more from him. all he is, until he proves otherwise, is another albatross contract for this club. a great big "I TOLD YOU SO" from the atlanta hawks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard