Indiana @ Phoenix - Game Thread - Fri. March 2, 2007 - 7:00 pm

sunsfn

Reaction score
Indiana (29-27) at Phoenix (44-14)
620/92.3 FSN AZ

By NICOLINO DI BENEDETTO, STATS Writer

After suffering their only road loss to an Eastern Conference club, the Phoenix Suns hope a return home will help them regain their dominant form.
The Pacific Division leaders begin a five-game homestand Friday night against the streaky Indiana Pacers.
Phoenix (44-14) is 23-4 against the East, however it failed to become the first team in NBA history to sweep all 15 road games against the opposing conference with a 99-94 loss at Philadelphia on Wednesday.
"We just didn't make enough shots tonight," Suns point guard Steve Nash said. "They played a really good game and we played a sub-par game and they beat us. Someone out there wasn't going to let us win all 15-road games in the East (Conference). Tonight we had a lot of good looks and just couldn't make them." The defeat also prevented the Suns from sweeping a four-game road trip and halted their five-game winning streak that included a 103-92 win at Indiana on Tuesday.
Phoenix rallied from an 18-point third-quarter deficit in that victory and allowed only 13 points over the final 15 minutes.
"It's disappointing, because we had a couple guys play exceptionally well," said Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, whose team has been idle since the loss. "You work so hard to get the lead, and they strike so quickly. It's just a tough team to play.
"I've never seen a team that is able to play their style of game at their level. Nash is certainly the key guy, but they've got the right players around him."
Nash, who left briefly in the first half against the 76ers to get a sore ankle taped, might have to do without starters Boris Diaw (back spasms) and Shawn Marion (left thigh bruise and hand injury). The duo did not play Wednesday after suffering the injuries at Indiana.
"Obviously we missed Marion. We missed Diaw, too," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "The focus wasn't there and we got a little sloppy at the end."

If the Suns continue to be without the pair, it likely would mean more playing time for reserves Leandro Barbosa and Kurt Thomas. Barbosa struggled, going 4-for-16 from the field and finishing with 11 points while Thomas had 10 rebounds in 32 minutes.
Despite the ankle trouble, Nash still finished with 23 points and nine assists Wednesday after getting 25 and 11, respectively, against the Pacers. He leads the league with 11.8 assists per game and the two-time reigning NBA MVP is averaging a career-high 18.9 points.
Nash has averaged 23.7 points and 11.0 assists in helping Phoenix win three straight games against Indiana. The Suns -- the league's highest-scoring team with 110.7 points -- have won six of the last seven home games against the Pacers, winning those games by an average of 17.5 points.

This is the second five-game homestand of the season for the Suns, who swept the first one from Jan. 5-13 and posted wins over three Eastern Conference teams.

The Pacers (29-27), whose last win at Phoenix came on Dec. 1, 2003, are hoping to avoid matching their season-high four-game slide from Jan. 12-20 as they open a four-contest road trip. They are 11-15 on the road with only one win in the last five games.
"It's an important stretch for us. We've got to get wins," Pacers forward Mike Dunleavy said of the swing that keeps the team on the road until a March 10 home meeting with Philadelphia.
Indiana has alternated three-game winning and losing streaks over the past 12 games.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
If Marion and Boris are still out I would start Jones and bring in Barbosa off the bench.

I think they need that little push with the first sub. With LB starting it really takes any punch off the bench away.

Plus I would rather start with a defensive SF than 3 guards.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
I just hope D'Antoni don't put Barbosa to be the starter.
Barbosa or Bell vs Granger or Dunleavy make me sick...:help:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope D'Antoni don't put Barbosa to be the starter.
Barbosa or Bell vs Granger or Dunleavy make me sick...:help:

Yep. I am done with Barbosa as a starter. In fact, I am done with Bell as a starter as well. Oh well. It's not like we have much choice considering the only way D'Antoni goes deep into the bench is if half the starters miss the bus to the arena.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/85083?source=rss&dest=STY-85083

March 2, 2007
Suns' Marion, Diaw out for Friday game with Pacers
Jerry Brown, Tribune

The Suns will be without All-Star forward Shawn Marion for a second-straight game, and Boris Diaw will miss his seventh game in the last eight, when they take on the Indiana Pacers tonight at US Airways Center in Phoenix.

Marion has too much pain and swelling in the hand, although two sets of x-rays have come back negative. Coach Mike D’Antonio is hoping Marion can play in Sunday’s nationally televised home game with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Diaw is likely out until at least Wednesday, when the Suns face the Charlotte Bobcats.

Steve Nash, who sprained the same ankle twice Wdnesday in Philadelphia, practiced Friday and will play tonight.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I am done with Barbosa as a starter. In fact, I am done with Bell as a starter as well. Oh well. It's not like we have much choice considering the only way D'Antoni goes deep into the bench is if half the starters miss the bus to the arena.

D'Antoni says Jr. will start tonight in place of Marion. Good time for him to shine.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Agree. Bell is most effective if he plays less than 30 min. He is not physically gifted and gained his reputation for tough defense on strong will and focus. He can't maintain a high level of them over 40 min. over a long stretch of games.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Coach D just started to use the bench - Pike and Burke on the court in the same time! :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What is the deal with not playing Jumaine Jones? I'd think he'd be an asset with no Shawn Marion or Boris Diaw playing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
another technical on amare?!?

ladies and gentlemen, meet the new rasheed wallace!

he's a tech machine lately. he's creeping up on that one-game suspension. c'mon amare, get your shiz together.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
does that mean no Amare for the next game? He just picked up another technical foul tonight.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's got 11 techs. When does the suspension kick in, at 16 or 18?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
EJ said during the broadcast he should appeal this last one, so unofficially it's 12

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Mike will use his bench now that he knows they can score of few buckets during the course of the game. Will see if he goes back to his 7 man rotation though when Diaw and Marion are back.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
3 guys off the bench in double digits...

I knew Iran were making nuclear weapons.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kevin McCabe just told pat burke that he used to be a novelty act, but now isn't.

freaking hilarious

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Nice to see some of our bench players get some minutes and actually play well.

See! I knew we gave to money to Piatkowski for a reason! :D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pike with 11 points in his first meaningful minutes. I think his game is perfect for the Suns and I hope D'Antoni doesn't forget about him when we are healthy. Shooters like him let Amare succeed.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I know that Pike is hardly a superstar, but why has he not gotten at least 5-10 minutes a game here and there? He was brought here to shoot the 3, which he can obviously do. Tonight he showed that he is at least mediocre and should be able to get a few minutes a game.

On that note, where the hell is Rose? It's a sad world when Pike is beating you off the bench.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn