Pacers @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-21-2024

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank Vogel says he is sending in video clips to the league office in regard to Durant not being fouled.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Officiating was so bad that I now believe there might be game fixing bets in the background. When Beal was slapped on the arm by Hield with no call, they gave Siakam that phantom call that was rescinded after our challenge, both in the final 2 min.
Our smallball lineup has great D, with everyone aware not conceding any shot without close contest. Our D problem in the middle of the game mainly came from lack of this awareness. KBD for example was giving Wallace way too much space and motioned forward only half heartedly when the latter jumped for 3 and made it. It's lack of situation smartness. Actually Metu is also weak at it, and today Okogie's concentration also seemed a bit off in this area. Our small lineup are all experiented there. Eubanks did quite right today, on both sides.
On offense, after KD made conseq. shots we had like 3 TOs in attempt to repeat it. Then Book missed conseq. shots closely contested. Then we resort to switching Beal to their weakest defender Hield for conseq. lane drives that made them pay. I hope next time coach anticipates other teams' counter moves and mix it up on our own a bit more. As I repeated often, Beal brings another mode of opening up the offense different from KD and Book, complementing them perfectly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A win is a win but this game looked like a lot of regression to how we were losing games. Lots of hero ball and no effort in defense.

Oh, and right now eric Gordon sucks at basketball. Can’t shoot, no handles, literally stands flat footed on defense doing nothing and constantly loses his man, and does not exert even the smallest scintilla of effort to get any rebound - even if it’s dropping directly in front of him. I get it dude, you’re a scorer and your shot’s not dropping - so go do something else productive with all those minutes you’re sucking up.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
A win is a win but this game looked like a lot of regression to how we were losing games. Lots of hero ball and no effort in defense.

Oh, and right now eric Gordon sucks at basketball. Can’t shoot, no handles, literally stands flat footed on defense doing nothing and constantly loses his man, and does not exert even the smallest scintilla of effort to get any rebound - even if it’s dropping directly in front of him. I get it dude, you’re a scorer and your shot’s not dropping - so go do something else productive with all those minutes you’re sucking up.
Unfortunately though our bench is pretty weak, and Gordon may be the best of the lot that plays regularly off the bench. Just look at the game's +/- stats.

Metu, Okogie, Diop, Eubanks all a combined - 23.
Gordon was a +13

We are 6 deep. There is no defined 7th man on this team. Gordon is that sixth player that deserves some minutes. Some being the key word. He shouldn't be getting 30, but with our lack of depth, we probably have to lean on him more than we should.

If we want to make noise in the playoffs, we need more depth.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately though our bench is pretty weak, and Gordon may be the best of the lot that plays regularly off the bench. Just look at the game's +/- stats.

Gordon was a +13

We are 6 deep. There is no defined 7th man on this team. Gordon is that sixth player that deserves some minutes. Some being the key word. He shouldn't be getting 30, but with our lack of depth, we probably have to lean on him more than we should.

Now that our core is getting familiar - I think that's when the bench will follow - these aren't scrubs and until very recently they'd been playing in some very disfunctional conditions - it was awkward as hell all over

Not like the bench is shooting much between our starting 5 and Eric Gordon - after those 6 players we had:

Okogie 0-1 and it was a missed 3 pointer

KDB and Metu had no shot attempts on the box score but Metu was 2-2 from the free throw line

Then we have Eubanks who was 1-1 and 1-2 from the free throw line equalling 3 pts

That's it bro - that's all of our bench's attempts - not because they suck but because our top 6 players took all the shots

Field Goal attempts by top 6 last night:
Allen 7
KD 25
Nurk 2
Beal 16
Book 24
Gordon 6

That's 70 for those counting at home!! Versus 2 shot attempts by the bench!!!

So tell me what player is going to be available in trade or whatever that's going to be a game changer with just 1 or 2 shots a night? How are bench players supposed to get a rhythm? The answer is winning

The more we win the more minutes the bench plays - the better they'll become just like our starting unit - we've seen flashes from most of them - I don't see any moves on the horizon but hey - we've seen Ishbia isn't afraid to mix it up so I guess anything's possible

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Damn the Pacers are good. I never hated Pascal until tonight, guy is kind of a deek. TJ McC looks overrated. Glad we didn’t make a deal for him.

Suns finally locked in. This could have gone a few ways during that stretch where both teams missed shot after shot. Glad we came out with a W.
Not sure Pascal was the player
The Pacers needed. They have Turner, Obi and Smith. Anyways if Durant stays healthy that was one hell of a trade from the Nets

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Gordon was a +13

I am holding out hope against my better judgement that Bol Bol is our 7th man.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

This was a sure loss just a month ago, so think about that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Now that our core is getting familiar - I think that's when the bench will follow - these aren't scrubs and until very recently they'd been playing in some very disfunctional conditions - it was awkward as hell all over

Not like the bench is shooting much between our starting 5 and Eric Gordon - after those 6 players we had:

Okogie 0-1 and it was a missed 3 pointer

KDB and Metu had no shot attempts on the box score but Metu was 2-2 from the free throw line

Then we have Eubanks who was 1-1 and 1-2 from the free throw line equalling 3 pts

That's it bro - that's all of our bench's attempts - not because they suck but because our top 6 players took all the shots

Field Goal attempts by top 6 last night:
Allen 7
KD 25
Nurk 2
Beal 16
Book 24
Gordon 6

That's 70 for those counting at home!! Versus 2 shot attempts by the bench!!!

So tell me what player is going to be available in trade or whatever that's going to be a game changer with just 1 or 2 shots a night? How are bench players supposed to get a rhythm? The answer is winning

The more we win the more minutes the bench plays - the better they'll become just like our starting unit - we've seen flashes from most of them - I don't see any moves on the horizon but hey - we've seen Ishbia isn't afraid to mix it up so I guess anything's possible
This is the primary reason I’m not pining for more bench scoring. We have 5 guys capable of carrying the scoring load. I’m more interested in the bench guys shooting a high percentage in their time on limited shots and playing great defense. That said, one more player likely allows our big 3 to not play so minutes - which is my true concern.

The bench for the playoffs isn’t a concern of mine either. Benches usually shorten in the playoffs. It’s only if one of our big 3 gets into foul trouble that depth becomes an issue. Because if one of them gets hurt we’re done.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the primary reason I’m not pining for more bench scoring. We have 5 guys capable of carrying the scoring load. I’m more interested in the bench guys shooting a high percentage in their time on limited shots and playing great defense. That said, one more player likely allows our big 3 to not play so minutes - which is my true concern.

The bench for the playoffs isn’t a concern of mine either. Benches usually shorten in the playoffs. It’s only if one of our big 3 gets into foul trouble that depth becomes an issue. Because if one of them gets hurt we’re done.
Good thing none of the Suns' Big Three ever gets hurt. lol

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Smith shot 5-5 from the field and 3-3 from 3-point range for 15 points along with 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 blocks.

Not bad for a 23-year-old player shooting 63.1% for the season and only making $5,043,773.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's crazy how bad our bench has been...basically no solid contributors after Gordon in the first couple of months. These guys are getting great looks and should have easy shots with all the focus on the big 3.