I think I see the plan - Rosen + Murray

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With the release of Glennon yesterday, I think that the Cards are planning to draft Murray, and let him compete with Rosen for #1. Then they can trade away the "loser" of that competition, without losing too much face, especially if they both perform well and it's a close decision. Or maybe they even hang onto both of them for at least 2019, since 2 rookie contracts, even drafted that high, aren't a massive financial burden. Glennon's release may imply that's the plan. Or they just pick up another backup during camp/preseason, or even the draft, and trade sooner than later. That part of the plan could be fluid.

Why do I think this? I think they are probably deathly afraid of making the wrong move - so this is a way of playing it safe with that first pick. Or so their perception is anyways. So much to lose - if they draft Murray and trade Rosen, and Rosen blossoms elsewhere (like becoming Tom Brady's successor for 15 years and the rings keep coming - ouch!), or if they trade down and Murray turns out to be awesome for someone, while Rosen struggles as the Cards continue to go through coaching staffs, Keim's inevitable exit, etc. Not hard to see that playing out at all.

Not saying I agree with this strategy, just that I can see it coming. Thoughts?

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
If they draft Murray #1 overall it’s because they think he’s significantly better than Rosen.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. No balls or confident in your own scouting system. It’s called conviction. I see your logic and have weighed this option. However, it is weak. Make a decision and believe in it. You either believe in Rosen which going back to kingsburys hiring they appeared they seemed to think they did or you don’t. To pass on a guy like Bosa who could anchor one side of your defense for the next 10 years because you’re “afraid” of making a wrong decision would be sad. It would create a polarising situation on the team that would be decisive. We have a qb that has one of the weakest supporting cast that any rookie qb has seldom had to endure. We have a coach that has said he can design an offense that can play to his strengths. Just give him a supporting cast then we can assess Rosen.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the release of Glennon yesterday, I think that the Cards are planning to draft Murray, and let him compete with Rosen for #1. Then they can trade away the "loser" of that competition, without losing too much face, especially if they both perform well and it's a close decision. Or maybe they even hang onto both of them for at least 2019, since 2 rookie contracts, even drafted that high, aren't a massive financial burden. Glennon's release may imply that's the plan. Or they just pick up another backup during camp/preseason, or even the draft, and trade sooner than later. That part of the plan could be fluid.

Why do I think this? I think they are probably deathly afraid of making the wrong move - so this is a way of playing it safe with that first pick. Or so their perception is anyways. So much to lose - if they draft Murray and trade Rosen, and Rosen blossoms elsewhere (like becoming Tom Brady's successor for 15 years and the rings keep coming - ouch!), or if they trade down and Murray turns out to be awesome for someone, while Rosen struggles as the Cards continue to go through coaching staffs, Keim's inevitable exit, etc. Not hard to see that playing out at all.

Not saying I agree with this strategy, just that I can see it coming. Thoughts?

I know I see the hype regarding Murray!

Was there ONE pundit the day he won the Heisman that said, "there's your #1 pick in the upcoming draft if he decides to play football." ?

The answer is "no".

What exactly has he done since then to elevate him to #1?

The answer is "precisely" nothing.

There's an easy answer to "deathly afraid."

Select BOSA!

or

Trade with Oakland so they can pick Bosa and pick the best available "D" player at #4.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this because they released a journeyman.

Alright.

A statue qb who doesnt fit Kingsbury offense
Something should mean
Anyway don't see this plan happen and eventually Rosen agent would force a trade

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sounds like a cost cutting move to me.

Chad Kanoff is likely the back up. The team obviously thought highly enough of him to move him from the PS to the active roster.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A statue qb who doesnt fit Kingsbury offense
Something should mean
Anyway don't see this plan happen and eventually Rosen agent would force a trade
It’s a journeyman.

A journeyman.

A guy that doesn’t start & hasn’t since 2014.

A backup.

All this mystery solving cause of a backup.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like a cost cutting move to me.

Chad Kanoff is likely the back up. The team obviously thought highly enough of him to move him from the PS to the active roster.

Kanoff has zero chance of being the back up moving forward

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keeping both would be insane. Have to make a choice now. Whomever loses that competition would bring us back what?.....A small fraction of what they cost us and someone should be fired for it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If people think Rosen is only worth a 3rd now, he won't be worth a ham sandwich, if he loses out to Murray. Same for Murray...if he loses out to Rosen, you just blew the #1 overall pick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So pass on a potential franchise player for a backup quarterback? That shows a lack of faith of your scouting department and ineptitude by the GM.

Picking Murray at #1 is a bad decision. Having him and Rosen on the roster should be grounds for termination

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If people think Rosen is only worth a 3rd now, he won't be worth a ham sandwich, if he loses out to Murray. Same for Murray...if he loses out to Rosen, you just blew the #1 overall pick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Exactly. Would be a horrible strategy and talk about mismanaging your assets.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Rosen will be playing behind Eli Manning to begin the 2019 season. That's my bet, a little birdie told me so.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I dunno. He looks like he's made for KK's offense here. Quick accurate release.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kanoff has a quick release, smart and accurate on short and intermediate routes, deep balls probably meh, but why can he not run KK's scheme... oh, because he was not picked highly in the draft :raccoon:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson