I’m Beginning to Feel Sorry for Joseph

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I think they will. Especially if the team is confident in how Kugler is developing OL. I will have to rewatch the 49ers game, but I think Cole did pretty well. If that is the case, they may choose to move Pugh to RT moving forward using Murray's injury as an excuse. That would move us into the offseason with the following line...

LT-Humphries
LG-Cole
C-Shipley/Gaillard
RG-Sweezy
RT-Pugh/Murray

It is a ton better in terms of contract/position allocation, and you still have the ability to draft and develop. You could draft a RG and/or RT early and it isn't an issue. You still have versatility along the line. You can draft a C in round 1 if Gaillard doesn't develop as hoped. You have depth if players get hurt.

This is all speculation, but fits if you read the quotes from Kugler in the offseason and look at which players have been kept throughout the roster process. Keeping Shipley means something. and keeping Gaillard does as well. Generally, your backup C is not your swing lineman.

Then you got Murray and Miles as your swing tackles and Garcia as your swing OG/C. That’s got the makings of an above average / good Oline. I’m betting that Gaillard will be a stud at C or one of the OG spots moving forward. That dude loves a fist fight!

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Oh and don’t let Kuggs get away no matter what. Make him your Assistant HC Offense like yesterday.

Reaction score
Two highest PFF* rated OL against 49ers - Cole and Pugh

Who would've thought?

While the situation was less than ideal, Pugh did a tremendous job of holding up, according to Pro Football Focus. He was given a grade of 79.4, which was the third-best on offense and his highest mark of the season.

Mason Cole was inserted into the lineup at left guard and also did well, earning a 68.1 grade, which was fourth on the offense and second on the line behind Pugh.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/justin-pugh-steps-up-and-other-pro-football-focus-observations

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
they are stuck with Reddick next year -- per Overthecap: he will count $4.5mm-ish against the cap -- no matter what happens: keep, cut, trade -- either pre-June 1 or post. (I don't really understand it, but that's what it says FWIW)

so maybe 3 years of NFL experience, plus 15 lbs in the offseason, and maybe he can be a top 4 OLB on the roster.

Reddick would be a great ST'er if he focused on it. And a 3rd OLB'er

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
wo highest PFF* rated OL against 49ers - Cole and Pugh

also FWIW: in 2020, they could move on from Pugh - $4.5mm of cap savings with a $6mm dead money hit

I think that ratio means he stays -- especially (obvs) if he plays at a decent level

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think we extend him or re-sign him in 2021.

I do think he probably is our starter next year depending on what FAs are available.

I don't believe Sweezy would prevent the Cardinals from drafting a RG in the upcoming draft.
He can be extended, playing guard is not rb, can still be good till 35

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think we extend him or re-sign him in 2021.

I do think he probably is our starter next year depending on what FAs are available.

I don't believe Sweezy would prevent the Cardinals from drafting a RG in the upcoming draft.

I agree with all of your statements, but I think he should be penciled in as a starter. He's a solid starting RG.

I'd love for the team to replace him, he's really a limited starter who is good fighting in a phone booth and little else.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He can be extended, playing guard is not rb, can still be good till 35
It's not that he can't be ok, but I am not sure if Sweezy is what you want moving forward. My thought is that we should want to better on the o line than guys who can "get by".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree with all of your statements, but I think he should be penciled in as a starter. He's a solid starting RG.

I'd love for the team to replace him, he's really a limited starter who is good fighting in a phone booth and little else.
That is why I think we would be ok drafting an OG high in this draft but wouldn't feel forced to cut Sweezy. Hell, if a rookie we draft in the 2nd round beats out Sweezy, those are good problems to have.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That is why I think we would be ok drafting an OG high in this draft but wouldn't feel forced to cut Sweezy. Hell, if a rookie we draft in the 2nd round beats out Sweezy, those are good problems to have.

Agreed. The Cardinals are in the position to draft a player to develop and/or compete with a starter right now at most positions on the line, assuming the resign Humphries of course.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard