News of the Seahawks Game

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sunday the Seahawks beat the Cards due to a better understanding of math. If Dobbs completed less than 60% of his passes and his completions were only for 4 yards, the Cards simply could not sustain a scoring drive.

This was really the first game where the coaching concerned me. They appear determined to make Moore an impact player. He’s not. He did fight for yardage on one play and he is fast, but in the end he’s a gimmick contributor. Gimmicks are not the Cards strength. Neither apparently is misdirection, which is used less and less. On swing passes Dobbs stares down the receiver assuring the defense would rush up to cover. Most of the time on running plays they just seemed to assume the runners’ speed or guile would be enough to assure success. They were successful when the pulled linemen, even when Beachum failed to block anyone. Apparently he felt intimidation could substitute for contact. Sadly the Cards mostly just sent naked runners or relied on TEs to block, the latter resulting in a costly penalty.

On defense, I need to note it’s hard to defend with a limited DL, no CBs and compromised safeties. There was very limited passer pressure on an offense playing with 2 backup linemen. So far this season Seattle has faced pressure on 40% of their passes. This is compounded by confusing pass defense schemes, prompting the announcer, Vilma, to comment some of the defense seemed to be playing man with others playing zone. Theoretically only one receiver, Lockett, was a major threat but at no point was the CB given help over the top. That’s carrying Gannon’s theory of personal responsibility to the extreme.

I have to wonder if the coaches are reading all the compliments they’ve been getting and felt the need to try to be even more creative.

The Good News

While the results were mixed Demercado finally got a number of carries and showed promise. He’s more sophisticated at using blocks than the average rookie. I’d be interested in what Dobbs could do as an RB. Moore showed better determination when carrying the ball, but still lacks moves. Wilson made a nice block that turned a Dobbs’ run into a first down. On the other hand, drive blocking in the middle of the field was inept.

Brown had another solid game. McBride at least got the targets I was hoping to see. The Cards ran a nice middle screen with McBride who displayed some running skills. This is an old play I haven’t seen in a few years. It’s always been one of my favorites. I wish they’d throw a few more to Wilson.

On defense the big news was Garrett Williams. He showed potential at a position where the Cards are desperately short. It wasn’t just the good hands he displayed when making the interception. He gave far less cushion than the other CBs and stepped up when defending the run. It’s a small but hopeful sample.

Overall, the team’s tackling was better and they hit harder.

Collins delivered his now regular once a game sack, still they add up. Gardeck contributed yet another couple of big plays. For the second time the DL made a great goal line stand. The pulling linemen, other than Beachum, had some nice blocks. Froholdt, in particular, shows excellent agility.

The Bad News

Well, still not many corrections to the issues that have plagued Cards. Certainly roster limitations cause some of the problems, but not all. The Cards continue to put a weak set of CBs on islands, covering some of the NFL’s top receivers. It makes no sense to not occasionally play a defense like the Tampa 2 with over the top safety help. There is still a problem with the massive receiver cushions being afforded to opponents at the snap. Other teams could literally march down the field unchallenged by just throwing passes in the flat. They’re already doing it on third and short. The zone, when used, is porous and is slow to respond. There continues to be communication issues. As previously noted, in the last game a few plays looked like some defenders were playing zone with others playing man. The perfect example was the Seattle touchdown where the receiver stood alone at the goal line. Another was when the TE was left uncovered 20+ yards down the field. White showed why body catching is so ineffective when it cost him an interception.

I don’t think the run defense can be corrected due to personnel and injuries. Passing defense is a different matter. Hopefully Williams will help with the CB issues if Clark returns soon. Baker played poorly but he figured to considering his absence. He should improve. I’m surprised the Cards didn’t blitz more. Seattle has been very vulnerable to pressure yet the Cards often thought they were the Eagles and could go with a four man rush. There was a huge mistake. With time running out and trailing by 7 the Seahawks faced a third down within their field goal range. The best play is an all out blitz hoping to knock Seattle out of range or maybe an interception/fumble. The Cards again took the passive route.

The Cards stacked up penalties handicapping both units. Humphries totally undisciplined penalty should get him a huge fine though likely not a suspension. He hasn’t played as well this year as the last couple.

On offense Dobbs ran well but his passing was atrocious. The Cards were so intimidated by his wayward deep throws last week they rarely even attempted to go deep against Seattle. Mostly he was restricted to 3-4 yard passes. Dobbs field vision is so bad he couldn’t identify open receivers right in front of him. He constantly threw into double coverage while those open receivers were ignored. His footwork made many of his throws wild.

Beachum looked terrible. He won’t be here next season. Johnson was shaky compared to previous games. He figure to be the starting LT next season so that’s a concern. I thought the Cards would stick with Humphries and Daley next season, but that’s in doubt now. The snap over Dobbs head was costly, but Froholdt pass protection improved.

Prater again missed a short kick. Oddly when the Cards signed him he had a history of short kickoffs but he’s fixed that. However, he still hasn’t fixed missing easy kicks. He’s still strong on long kicks but now several young kickers are as well. He may be not kicking up to his salary at this point.

BTW, just so everyone knows after this game the Cards are really 2 losses out of the top pick. Carolina’s strength of schedule is so weak I can’t see the Cards moving ahead of them if tied in the loss column.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think moving PJJ to LT would be a mistake similar to moving Leonard David to LT because of draft position. He’s probably already had more snaps at RT than any other position. He’s FINE there—not dominant.

I think we’ll be in a position to draft an excellent LT prospect in 2024. Let’s do that.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think moving PJJ to LT would be a mistake similar to moving Leonard David to LT because of draft position. He’s probably already had more snaps at RT than any other position. He’s FINE there—not dominant.

I think we’ll be in a position to draft an excellent LT prospect in 2024. Let’s do that.
agree... guys all want that LT money and fand always want a high pick to be the LT... but PJJ has a ways to go and could be a pro bowl level RT...and we should have the draft picks to get Humps replacement.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think with Humphries his position on the team will come down to how the team wants to manage the cap. As you can see below there is a substantial cap savings with him gone otherwise he is just short of eating up $23 million in cap space.

You must be registered for see images attach

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And speaking of a better understanding of math:
*Seven Games Played.
*Six Games, Coaching is Okay.
*One Game, Coaching is a Concern.
*Bottom Line, Math Says Coaching is Okay.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
And speaking of a better understanding of math:
*Seven Games Played.
*Six Games, Coaching is Okay.
*One Game, Coaching is a Concern.
*Bottom Line, Math Says Coaching is Okay.
If all bricks in a dam are good except one, I’d be concerned. The coaching doesn’t scare me but it bears watching.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think with Humphries his position on the team will come down to how the team wants to manage the cap. As you can see below there is a substantial cap savings with him gone otherwise he is just short of eating up $23 million in cap space.

You must be registered for see images attach

I actually think DJ's situation really depends on what the Cards do in the draft, which depends on how he plays out the rest of this year. Cards only save $9 million (and create $13.8M in dead money if not designated a 6/1 cut -- they probably would, though, and push half that dead cap charge into 2025). Can you get a solid RT with that savings? Maybe?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson