Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as good as the first in terms of story but this one was really funny at times. Still great movie. Thought the end credit sequences were pretty pointless except for a couple moments. There like 5 I think.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A hell of a lot of fun, and a good ride for most of the movie. It sagged a LOT in the 2nd act, and kind of fell apart there. Nowhere near as good as the 1st one, but that's more than okay, because the 1st one was amazing. 4/5

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it had a pretty steep drop-off from the first. I liked all the arcs each character had conceptually, especially Michael Rooker's, and Drax killed every scene he was in, but I thought it suffered from separating the group out so much. Their chemistry together in the first one made that movie shine. This one didn't have that same feel.

Solid, but 3/5 stars for me.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was different from the first..... and that is one of the reasons I liked it so much.

Points worth making (IMHO, of course ;) ):
1. LIAC is absolutely correct..... Bautista absolutely killed his role as Drax, and ultimately was my favorite character in this movie.
2. It would have be very easy to over-do baby Groot, as he was so danged cute/funny: But they didn't. Warm and fuzzy throughout.
3. Michael Rooker was awesome.... but I thought the same thing in the first movie. He was absolutely perfect for the role of Yondu.
4. I liked the sequences with Gamora and Nebula, and liked the way they parted at the end.
5. Rocket is one bad-arsed critter. Loved him. If I am reincarnated, I want to come back as Rocket.
6. Was the movie a bit predictable? Sure.... but just about any modern movie is at least somewhat predictable. I knew going in that this was going to have some "family issues," including father/son kind of stuff. It's pretty hard to be absolutely original with such a story.
7. Guardian movies cannot be compared to other Marvel movies, with the possible exception of Deadpool. All Marvel movies have some well done humorous stuff, but GOTG and DP are intentionally over the top. Enjoy it!
8. I liked it that the first 40% or so of the movie was much like the original GOTG, and that it got more serious and issue related in the remaining part. I felt like they were blending the end of the last movie with the beginning of this one for a smooth transition before going into more substantive issues.
9. While the movie was long, I didn't look at my watch even once. Time went by smoothly.
10. Star Lord dealing with teenage Groot (end credits) was really a hoot and blended well with the "family theme" of the movie
11. Outstanding effects.
12. 4.5 stars for the genre, 4 stars overall for me.
13. BONUS: Kurt Russel was, as always, AWESOME!

:cheers:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I liked it even better on the second viewing. For part two of a trilogy, it really rocked. 4/5 or 9/10 still for me, but Gunn showed some absolute brilliance in the one scene. I had to double-check the one medal because, though I knew I earned it myself, I had to make sure it was what I remembered.
Across Yondu's mouth, next to the captain's bars, was a frickin' good conduct ribbon, and across his eyes was the national defense service medal. HOW FRICKIN' BRILLIANT!!!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked it even better on the second viewing. For part two of a trilogy, it really rocked. 4/5 or 9/10 still for me, but Gunn showed some absolute brilliance in the one scene. I had to double-check the one medal because, though I knew I earned it myself, I had to make sure it was what I remembered.
Across Yondu's mouth, next to the captain's bars, was a frickin' good conduct ribbon, and across his eyes was the national defense service medal. HOW FRICKIN' BRILLIANT!!!

Stout, the medals dont count when you buy them from the surplus store. Trust me I know because I heard it from my stupid cub scout leaders evertime I bought merit badges at the scout store! :p

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked it, the only thing that annoyed me was...
They do the SUPER TELEGRAPH FORESHADOWING! When Sly just out of nowhere goes on this rant about Ravager funerals that we didn't even know existed and he's like: "The horns of whatever will never sound at your funeral and the colors will definitely NOT be there! I just laughed when he said that. He might as well have said:

You're definitely going to die at the end of this movie, but I'm bringing this up because you are sure to redeem yourself and I will indeed show up at your funeral and do all this stuff that I just brought up in my super subtle foreshadowing moment!!!

No biggie, Marvel just makes me laugh because they have no chill about any plot devices.

Also I think they just dragged out scenes too long like the tape thing. I think they pictured that being really super hilarious, but I swear in my theater it was just awkward silence through that whole scene. The whole ending got a little corny and awkward for my taste.

That being said, in the spirit of not being grumpy...

Loved baby Groot, seriously he might be the most adorable thing I've ever seen, and I've held a baby otter. lol
Rocket is awesome, I liked how him and Yandu bonded and he accepted how he was sabotaging himself.
Bautista is awesome, "I have famously large turds!" "*Gags,,,,," What??? "I was imagining being with you physically.... *gags"
Gamora is so, so, so hot. Who knew I was into green chicks? I guess we all have our thing...
The toe thing,,, ROFL!
I liked the sisters reconciling in a somewhat believable way.
I LOVED LOVED LOVED Peters reaction to the big reveal. He didn't even hesitate he just blasted the crap out of that dude. Loved it.
The angsty teen Groot PCS,,, omg lol, my daughter in a nutshell.

So like I said I didn't hate it, there's just always something in Marvel movies that makes me go... LOL Ok, that's definitely going to happen later, I know because of the super subtle foreshadowing. That being said, I have disliked the past few superhero movies, like a lot. I didn't dislike this one, so people who actually like superhero movies will probably love it.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Stout, the medals dont count when you buy them from the surplus store. Trust me I know because I heard it from my stupid cub scout leaders evertime I bought merit badges at the scout store! :p
Yeah, my mom was a den mother and had all the badges in a box. Kind of anti-climatic to "earn" one.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved it. As someone raised by their mom and never met my dad but had some pseudo dad figures in my life, it was a punch to the gut at times.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it again with my parents last night. Liked it more the 2nd time... probably because I knew going in to expect more a character piece than the First. Still don't think it was close to the original, but give credit to Gunn for doing something completely different and pulling it off with pretty decent results.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This movie was amazing. I thought it was better than the first one but its a different movie than the first.

It's def a lot more emotional in a good way. You get to know them more and I really liked that. Yondu was by far my favorite this time around.

I like some was afraid that they would over do the baby groot thing but they did it just right even making fun of his cuteness.

Drax was hilarious. Him and Mantis were great together.

Rocket was bad ass as always. Him and Yondu had a really great scene together that hit home with me.

Kurt Russell was great but that guy is great in everything. When he breaks down the lyrics to Brandy wow

I could go on and on but it was as good as it gets in my opinion

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't a huge fan of the first movie. I thought it was OK. I just really hated the villain in that first movie. IMO Ronan was one the weakest villains in all of the Marvel movies and I couldn't get past that.

This movie didn't really have that super villain arch. Well at least till the end. So it was a totally different movie from the original. It was more like a fun ride with friends we have all become accustomed to, with less emphasis on a major plot line. What I did like was the answers to several questions about the characters that were reveled periodically through this movie. Also the soundtrack was awesome again as well. For me it was a fun comic book movie with a bunch of great laughs. Nothing more nothing less.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I loved the movie, but I didn't like the soundtrack. I absolutely loved the first movie soundtrack. This one had pretty boring songs. I knew everyone of the songs, they just weren't songs I ever really got into when I was younger so it wasn't as fun to hear as the first movie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the movie, but I didn't like the soundtrack. I absolutely loved the first movie soundtrack. This one had pretty boring songs. I knew everyone of the songs, they just weren't songs I ever really got into when I was younger so it wasn't as fun to hear as the first movie.

I always wait for the home version but curiosity got the best of me so I went to YouTube to see what you're talking about. I don't consider that music "pretty boring" but I do agree with your point, it's nowhere up to the standards of the first one. There's really nothing, not even the ELO tune (surprisingly enough), that's likely to get you tapping your feet or banging your head whereas the first soundtrack really got your blood pumping.

I'm sure there was a reason for the more mellow approach of this soundtrack but I can certainly see why some (many?) might feel disappointed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shut your mouths. Brandy is a great song!

Not just Brandy, there's a lot of entertaining music here. It's just a little lacking in tempo and power especially when compared to the first movie's soundtrack.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I havent seen the movie yet, but just looking at the soundtrack

1. "Mr. Blue Sky" Electric Light Orchestra 5:03
2. "Fox on the Run" Sweet 3:25
3. "Lake Shore Drive" Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah 3:49
4. "The Chain" Fleetwood Mac 4:27
5. "Bring It On Home to Me" Sam Cooke 2:43
6. "Southern Nights" Glen Campbell 2:57
7. "My Sweet Lord" George Harrison 4:37
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" Looking Glass 3:03
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" Jay and the Americans 2:46
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" Silver 3:32
11. "Surrender" Cheap Trick 4:14
12. "Father and Son" Cat Stevens 3:39
13. "Flash Light" Parliament 4:28
14. "Guardians Inferno" The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff

Not impressed. Alot of country. That had to be intentional. The original was more rock/pop oriented.

"Surrender" is probably the best song on there.
George Harrison "My Sweet Lord" is a great song
Sam Cooke "Bring it on home to me" is another good one.

meh, thats it.

Reaction score

1. "Mr. Blue Sky" Electric Light Orchestra 5:03
2. "Fox on the Run" Sweet 3:25
3. "Lake Shore Drive" Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah 3:49
4. "The Chain" Fleetwood Mac 4:27
5. "Bring It On Home to Me" Sam Cooke 2:43
6. "Southern Nights" Glen Campbell 2:57
7. "My Sweet Lord" George Harrison 4:37
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" Looking Glass 3:03
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" Jay and the Americans 2:46
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" Silver 3:32
11. "Surrender" Cheap Trick 4:14
12. "Father and Son" Cat Stevens 3:39
13. "Flash Light" Parliament 4:28
14. "Guardians Inferno" The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff

Not impressed. Alot of country. That had to be intentional. The original was more rock/pop oriented.

meh, thats it.

Quite a few good songs with the exception of the Hoff.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. "Mr. Blue Sky" Electric Light Orchestra 5:03 (English rock band)
2. "Fox on the Run" Sweet 3:25 (British glam rock band)
3. "Lake Shore Drive" Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah 3:49 (American rock group)
4. "The Chain" Fleetwood Mac 4:27 (British-American rock band)
5. "Bring It On Home to Me" Sam Cooke 2:43 (American singer, soul music)
6. "Southern Nights" Glen Campbell 2:57 (American country music singer)
7. "My Sweet Lord" George Harrison 4:37 (British rock musician)
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" Looking Glass 3:03 (American pop music group)
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" Jay and the Americans 2:46 (pop music group)
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" Silver 3:32 (country rock band)
11. "Surrender" Cheap Trick 4:14 (American rock band)
12. "Father and Son" Cat Stevens 3:39 (Folk rock singer)
13. "Flash Light" Parliament 4:28 (doo-*** vocal group)
14. "Guardians Inferno" The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff (Disco rap track)

Not impressed. A lot of country. That had to be intentional. The original was more rock/pop oriented.

meh, thats it.

:confused:

:shrug:

2/14 are Country. That's "a lot" ?

It is mostly rock/pop oriented...just like the first film.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:confused:

:shrug:

2/14 are Country. That's "a lot" ?

It is mostly rock/pop oriented...just like the first film.

Its doesnt matter what type of band it is. Its how the song sounds.

Lots of country/folkish/acoustic guitar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard