Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

You must be registered for see images attach

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2′ Leads To More Cosmic Movies, Not ‘Avengers 3′

http://www.mtv.com/news/1996245/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-avengers-3/

James Gunn is taking a bit of a victory lap. “Guardians of the Galaxy,” the movie which was dubbed Marvel’s biggest risks and became one of its biggest successes, is hitting streaming services on November 18 and Blu-ray and DVD on December 9.

And now things look a little differently for the writer-director. I got on the phone with Gunn to take a brief look back and ask about what’s next for Star-Lord, Rocket, Gamora, Drax and Groot.

How much freedom do you have for “Guardians 2″ when the future of the Marvel Universe is planned out two years beyond it?

I don’t feel beholden to that stuff at all. I think it’s really about the Guardians and what they are doing. We’re not subservient to the Avengers. “Guardians 2″ is not a movie that’s made to move toward “Infinity War.” It’s something that’s made to move toward future cosmic movies, so I don’t feel that that is something that affects me that much.'

“Guardians of the Galaxy 2″ opens in theaters on May 5, 2017.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOTG made more than $768 million dollars worldwide. Wowzers!!! You bet they're doing a sequel and I, for one, can't wait.

I suspect Marvel will have a little more to say about the sequel than Gunn indicates, though..... ;)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
streaming services?

Probably means VUDU and the likes. I wonder if it is for purchase only or also rental, id like to watch this and dont mind plopping down the $7 to rent the stream.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You can buy GOTG in HD to stream for $20 on Amazon today.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to watch it here:
Pollack Tempe Cinema ‏@TempeCinemas 5s6 seconds ago
Guardians of the Galaxy, Annabelle, and No Good Deed will be starting this Friday, November 21st! We will be... http://fb.me/79k7PPIsi
Not interested in $20 movie purchases. Will take my son and daughter, spend less than 20 including popcorn and have a great time :)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to watch it here:

Not interested in $20 movie purchases. Will take my son and daughter, spend less than 20 including popcorn and have a great time :)

IMAX 3D was great, but this movie will be great in any format.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can say this all he wants "I don’t feel beholden to that stuff at all. I think it’s really about the Guardians and what they are doing."

However, Marvel is not going to let it's properties fall into the DC silos. They have an overall plan with tie ins with all the properties which is why Marvel has been successful. They will not allow any director to stray from that. PERIOD.

That doesn't mean he can't do some things he wants to do but he will not have full autonomy. I don't care how much the movie makes. Rightfully so.....Marvel's plan has been working. That's why they signed Whedon to a contract so he would have input on all the movies.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 Script Brought Tears To Chris Pratt's Eyes

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/03/the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-script-brought-tears-to-chris-prat/

“His pitch, and his idea, legitimately put tears in my eyes,” Pratt says. “It is so good. It’s so good. I cannot wait to get started on it, and I can’t wait for people to see what he’s going to pull off with this second movie. It’s going to be so big, and so good.”

According to Pratt, it was so good that Marvel didn’t have a single note for Gunn after he presented it to the studio. That’s pretty impressive.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 opens May 2, 2017.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
they have galactic travel...easy enough to find a reason to come to earth for Avengers 3........... maybe starlord breaks his cassette player and needs a new one?...or he just happens to hear Thanos is headed that way with ass whoopin on his mind...

I imagine the director can do pretty much whatever he wants so long as he does not put them so far from earth they will never be able to get there within their lifetimes.... I mean come on,...how long do you expect Rocket to live?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as Gunn doesn't stray too far from the Marvel Universe and pretend likes he is in his own universe I am good. That ship has sailed with the introduction of Thanos. Gunn simply can't ignore that thread. I am all for him doing what he wants as long as he doesn't forget he is part of a bigger "verse".

As much as I love Guardians, if he tries to pull that crap I am out. I don't think Marvel will let him but some of his comments make me nervous.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as Gunn doesn't stray too far from the Marvel Universe and pretend likes he is in his own universe I am good. That ship has sailed with the introduction of Thanos. Gunn simply can't ignore that thread. I am all for him doing what he wants as long as he doesn't forget he is part of a bigger "verse".

As much as I love Guardians, if he tries to pull that crap I am out. I don't think Marvel will let him but some of his comments make me nervous.

Agreed.... but there were folks who were unsure about this first one, and look how good that was. I'm stoked for number two and am keeping positive thoughts about it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he makes another great movie, I absolutely don't give a crap about the rest of the "Marvel Universe". They can bend to fit with his vision if it's the better one. Frankly, I found Avengers 2 to be very "meh". I bet "Guardians 2", again, turns out to be the best of the Marvel movies along with the first Guardians.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.... but there were folks who were unsure about this first one, and look how good that was. I'm stoked for number two and am keeping positive thoughts about it.

Yeah, I remember taking my kids to the first Guardians and I had low expectations of it. It blew me away.

That experience is the ONLY reason I might see Antman.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he makes another great movie, I absolutely don't give a crap about the rest of the "Marvel Universe". They can bend to fit with his vision if it's the better one. Frankly, I found Avengers 2 to be very "meh". I bet "Guardians 2", again, turns out to be the best of the Marvel movies along with the first Guardians.

Yeah that makes zero sense. Thanos is the key that binds it all together and Marvel is much bigger than Guardians.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes zero sense. Thanos is the key that binds it all together and Marvel is much bigger than Guardians.

All I care about are good movies with these characters. I have no attachment to the comic book story which you obviously do. So, if he diverted from that overall plot I could care less since I don't know it anyway.

It's not like someone changing the plot of "Hamlet". Marvel is not sacred text for most people.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I care about are good movies with these characters. I have no attachment to the comic book story which you obviously do. So, if he diverted from that overall plot I could care less since I don't know it anyway.

It's not like someone changing the plot of "Hamlet". Marvel is not sacred text for most people.

Actually it has nothing to do with attachments to the comics one bit. Never read a GOTG comic in my life. Also, I am not a purist when it comes to adaptations. I just want a coherent universe in which they all inhabit. It's actually one of the strengths of the Marvel universe verses the DC.

I don't believe one director should be allowed to come in and disregard the rest of the Marvel universe. Not that he has done that (see Thanos tie ins and infinity stones etc.). He is going to have to play in the Marvel sandbox and that is a good thing. I totally agree every director should be given some creative freedom. You basically have heard Kevin Feige say as much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt Russell confirms talks for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...vol-2-with-a-small-caveat#Zc2GTR8OdbqYZrYs.99

Last week, it was revealed that writer/director James Gunn was keen on casting Kurt Russell as Peter Quill/Star-Lord’s father in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Now, speaking on the Happy Sad Confused podcast (via CBM), Russell has confirmed that he spoke with Gunn about the role but that there’s a reason he hasn’t fully committed to the part.

“I literally got a phone call two days ago about this,” Russell said. “I’ve never seen Guardians of the Galaxy. I don’t know anything about it. I’m one of the four idiots that’s never seen it. Many times I’ve heard ‘That’s a really fun movie, a really good movie [with] great characters.’ I don’t know it. So, I didn’t realize that the man [James Gunn] had written and directed it. So we talked to each other on the phone and I just had to be honest and say, ‘Thank you for considering me, I have to read it, and I have to watch the movie because I can’t bring anything for you. I’ve got nothing to offer here.’ So, I’m amazed to get asked about this because everybody knows more about it than I do.”

Director James Gunn has already confirmed that Star-Lord’s father will be different in the film from his comic book parentage, which was Emperor J’Son of Spartax.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt Russell confirms talks for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...vol-2-with-a-small-caveat#Zc2GTR8OdbqYZrYs.99

Last week, it was revealed that writer/director James Gunn was keen on casting Kurt Russell as Peter Quill/Star-Lord’s father in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Now, speaking on the Happy Sad Confused podcast (via CBM), Russell has confirmed that he spoke with Gunn about the role but that there’s a reason he hasn’t fully committed to the part.

“I literally got a phone call two days ago about this,” Russell said. “I’ve never seen Guardians of the Galaxy. I don’t know anything about it. I’m one of the four idiots that’s never seen it. Many times I’ve heard ‘That’s a really fun movie, a really good movie [with] great characters.’ I don’t know it. So, I didn’t realize that the man [James Gunn] had written and directed it. So we talked to each other on the phone and I just had to be honest and say, ‘Thank you for considering me, I have to read it, and I have to watch the movie because I can’t bring anything for you. I’ve got nothing to offer here.’ So, I’m amazed to get asked about this because everybody knows more about it than I do.”

Director James Gunn has already confirmed that Star-Lord’s father will be different in the film from his comic book parentage, which was Emperor J’Son of Spartax.

I think Russell would be absolutely perfect! :thumbup:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good for freakin Kurt Russell. Making a huge comeback in Hollywood. First a pretty chunky role in Furious 7 which made a zillion dollars. Now a huge role in Tarantinos new film and next a big role in Guardians 2?

And he's been hittin Goldie Hawn all these years? Who's got it better than Kurt? lol :)

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good for freakin Kurt Russell. Making a huge comeback in Hollywood. First a pretty chunky role in Furious 7 which made a zillion dollars. Now a huge role in Tarantinos new film and next a big role in Guardians 2?

And he's been hittin Goldie Hawn all these years? Who's got it better than Kurt? lol :)

They're still together?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel like after Death Proof and Hateful 8, Russell is Tarantino's new muse... and it's awesome. He was also supposed to have a major role in Django, but scheduling issues kept him out of it. His second act has been pretty awesome to watch and he's just killing any role he's in.

Watch Bone Tomahawk. That's another western he was in this year where he's fantastic in it.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I feel like after Death Proof and Hateful 8, Russell is Tarantino's new muse... and it's awesome. He was also supposed to have a major role in Django, but scheduling issues kept him out of it. His second act has been pretty awesome to watch and he's just killing any role he's in.

Watch Bone Tomahawk. That's another western he was in this year where he's fantastic in it.

I will definitely check out Bone Tomahawk!

Last edited: