Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I will always remember him as Wyatt Earp in Tombstone. Best western movie ever!

"Wyatt, I am rolling."

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I will always remember him as Wyatt Earp in Tombstone. Best western movie ever!

"Wyatt, I am rolling."

Blasphemy! JK, but respectfully strongly disagree. :)

Shane
High Noon
The Wild bunch
The Outlaw Josey Wales
just to name a few of my favorites. My Uncle was a big western guy before he passed so he showed me a lot of the classics. Although I'm getting old enough that Tombstone is a classic and I remember taking a date to that one, lol. :(

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Shane
High Noon
The Wild bunch
The Outlaw Josey Wales
just to name a few of my favorites. My Uncle was a big western guy before he passed so he showed me a lot of the classics. Although I'm getting old enough that Tombstone is a classic and I remember taking a date to that one, lol. :(

Whooped 'em again, Josey!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Shane
High Noon
The Wild bunch
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Ok, I'll rephrase. ONE of the best westerns out there.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Shane
High Noon
The Wild bunch
The Outlaw Josey Wales

As a Western, High Noon is overrated IMO. But as a psychological thriller, it's pretty good for it's time. Tombstone makes my top 5 Westerns list along with The Wild Bunch, Good-Bad-Ugly, Unforgiven, Destry Rides Again and Big Jake. Okay, Big Jake doesn't really make the list, it's just a lot of fun and John Wayne to boot. Can't make a Westerns list without the Duke IMO.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As a Western, High Noon is overrated IMO. But as a psychological thriller, it's pretty good for it's time. Tombstone makes my top 5 Westerns list along with The Wild Bunch, Good-Bad-Ugly, Unforgiven, Destry Rides Again and Big Jake. Okay, Big Jake doesn't really make the list, it's just a lot of fun and John Wayne to boot. Can't make a Westerns list without the Duke IMO.

Good points on all counts. :). Unforgiven is up there as well for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score

I loved all of the Destry movies with Audie Murphy.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I loved all of the Destry movies with Audie Murphy.

I loved Audie Murphy movies, especially his westerns. Although I prefer the Jimmy Stewart original (Destry Rides Again), Audie's later version called Destry was pretty good too.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like after Death Proof and Hateful 8, Russell is Tarantino's new muse... and it's awesome. He was also supposed to have a major role in Django, but scheduling issues kept him out of it. His second act has been pretty awesome to watch and he's just killing any role he's in.

Watch Bone Tomahawk. That's another western he was in this year where he's fantastic in it.

So it was good? I noticed that the other day and debated watching it.

Reaction score
I loved Audie Murphy movies, especially his westerns. Although I prefer the Jimmy Stewart original (Destry Rides Again), Audie's later version called Destry was pretty good too.

I agree that the original is better. Always loved Audie as well. They Call Me Trinity and the second one Trinity Is Still My Name were good western spoofs. :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree that the original is better. Always loved Audie as well. They Call Me Trinity and the second one Trinity Is Still My Name were good western spoofs. :)

If you liked the Trinity movies you should watch "Nobody is My Name". It doesn't have Bud Spencer but Terence Hill (star of Trinity) is in it. His character is almost the same as it is in Trinity but in this one he supports and matches wits with an aging legendary gunfighter (Henry Fonda) that needs to go out with a bang (according to Hill).

We like the movies you mentioned but this one is even more entertaining IMO. It's basically Once Upon a Time in the West meets Trinity. It feels dated now but if you can still sit through and enjoy a Trinity movie you should have no problem with this one. My husband and I love westerns and the only comedy from that genre we like better than Nobody is Support Your Local Sheriff (James Garner).

Reaction score
If you liked the Trinity movies you should watch "Nobody is My Name". It doesn't have Bud Spencer but Terence Hill (star of Trinity) is in it. His character is almost the same as it is in Trinity but in this one he supports and matches wits with an aging legendary gunfighter (Henry Fonda) that needs to go out with a bang (according to Hill).

We like the movies you mentioned but this one is even more entertaining IMO. It's basically Once Upon a Time in the West meets Trinity. It feels dated now but if you can still sit through and enjoy a Trinity movie you should have no problem with this one. My husband and I love westerns and the only comedy from that genre we like better than Nobody is Support Your Local Sheriff (James Garner).

:thumbup:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They had the cajones to remake True Grit

never had the cajones to try and remake The Outlaw Josey Wales

best western ever made.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They had the cajones to remake True Grit

never had the cajones to try and remake The Outlaw Josey Wales

best western ever made

Yeah but they made a sequel to Josey so shouldn't that knock it down a bit too (if a remake does)?

I don't know that your justification holds up but I wouldn't take a stand against anyone that chose it as their favorite western. The interplay between Chief Dan George and Clint Eastwood is something special. And it's the first time I heard the classic, if now cliched, line about pissing down my back and calling it rain.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah but they made a sequel to Josey so shouldn't that knock it down a bit too (if a remake does)?

I don't know that your justification holds up but I wouldn't take a stand against anyone that chose it as their favorite western. The interplay between Chief Dan George and Clint Eastwood is something special. And it's the first time I heard the classic, if now cliched, line about pissing down my back and calling it rain.

Eastwood never made a sequel.... cannot control what a fanboy with a movie camera will do.

I considered the possibility of a sequel back when TG was done.... but in all honesty that cast just cannot be recreated.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I...did not know this. Looked it up to find Eastwood isn't even in it. Thanks for making me die a little inside just now lol

Yeah I didn't know that either. Remind me to never, ever watch that movie.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eastwood never made a sequel.... cannot control what a fanboy with a movie camera will do.

I considered the possibility of a sequel back when TG was done.... but in all honesty that cast just cannot be recreated.

It's incredible how many times they've made a sequel for a movie that had no need for one and quite often they do it with replacement actors.

Then Came Bronson turned me into a Michael Parks fan otherwise I would have never watched the OJW sequel. My memory of it was that it was slightly worse than Speed 2. And much worse than the made for TV Dirty Dozen sequel. At least they brought back a few of the original actors for the Dirty Dozen sequel.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's incredible how many times they've made a sequel for a movie that had no need for one and quite often they do it with replacement actors.

Then Came Bronson turned me into a Michael Parks fan otherwise I would have never watched the OJW sequel. My memory of it was that it was slightly worse than Speed 2. And much worse than the made for TV Dirty Dozen sequel. At least they brought back a few of the original actors for the Dirty Dozen sequel.

Benjamin Carter wrote "The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales" as the sequel to "Gone to Texas" which is the book Josey Wales was based on. From what I have heard, both books were pretty good but the writing style makes them difficult to read.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nathan Fillian has been added to the cast as ...

Simon Williams aka Wonder Man.

May just be a cameo or he may only appear on some movie posters. Wonder Man eventually retired to pursue an acting career only to be pulled back into the superhero business with the Avengers/West Coast Avengers.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looking forward to it, but I expect it fails to capture the charm of the 1st movie.

I expect a full-on Avengers type attempt, with manufactured humor thrown in, and its going to suck.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looking forward to it, but I expect it fails to capture the charm of the 1st movie.

I expect a full-on Avengers type attempt, with manufactured humor thrown in, and its going to suck.
You and Stout should go and complain about it--ahem--SEE it--together!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard