Current (post draft) Roster

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm posting from my phone and not home, but there was a guy who went to Ohio State right around the time TJ was at Az... cagey kid, annoyingly clutch, great defender... any know who I'm talking about or what happened to him?

I'll try to look it up later if no one can, but it's bugging me that I can't think of his name.

Are you thinking of Aaron Craft?

If so, you'll love the update on where he was last...He was the point guard on the team Okobo torched for 44 points!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm posting from my phone and not home, but there was a guy who went to Ohio State right around the time TJ was at Az... cagey kid, annoyingly clutch, great defender... any know who I'm talking about or what happened to him?

I'll try to look it up later if no one can, but it's bugging me that I can't think of his name.
Buford?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems the Suns have something going on with the 76ers (Holmes, Bridges). However, I'm not for trading them any more assets unless McConnell comes cheap. If the Suns give up the Bucks pick for him I will be disappointed.

I don't mind giving up the Bucks pick, it's inconsequential IMO if it lands us a starting point guard. The problem though is McConnell is just not a starting point guard IMO. He's a backup at best that's popular with both the fans and his teammates. I'd love to have him as part of our guard rotation but I'd hate to go through even a short stretch with him as our starter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mind giving up the Bucks pick, it's inconsequential IMO if it lands us a starting point guard. The problem though is McConnell is just not a starting point guard IMO. He's a backup at best that's popular with both the fans and his teammates. I'd love to have him as part of our guard rotation but I'd hate to go through even a short stretch with him as our starter.

George Hill is the only other one that would reasonably be available. He is decent. Igor coached him when he had his best years so he would know if he wants him over Knight or not. I don't think I am going to worry about it much more. Knight it is until it isn't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George Hill is the only other one that would reasonably be available. He is decent. Igor coached him when he had his best years so he would know if he wants him over Knight or not. I don't think I am going to worry about it much more. Knight it is until it isn't.

Yeah, I'm not worrying about it either. I want everything now but I don't really expect us to solve all our problems in one offseason. And the point guard that starts for us this season won't necessarily be the answer going forward. If we have a chance at a good point guard, great, but overpaying for mediocrity would be our worst option.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you thinking of Aaron Craft?

If so, you'll love the update on where he was last...He was the point guard on the team Okobo torched for 44 points!
Yep, you nailed it. Oof... go Okobo. Gives me even more hope, I remember Craft was not a shooter but a legit, and maybe a bit dirty, defender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So we agree McDonnell is not a starting PG.

If the Bucks pick can land the Suns a starting PG, I have no problem with it either.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this.

If I had a choice of him vs what we have, I'd take him as the starter this year, but I don't view him as a long term solution.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I didn't follow McConnell's college career but he looked pretty good to me in the playoffs for the Sixers this past season. Not only that, he started for them at the end of their playoff run and it seemed to improve the team. Who's to say that he's not a starter?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't follow McConnell's college career but he looked pretty good to me in the playoffs for the Sixers this past season. Not only that, he started for them at the end of their playoff run and it seemed to improve the team. Who's to say that he's not a starter?

He's usually an improvement, at first. Once defenses prepare for him though, that improvement is short lived. I love the guy, he's the only reason I watch Philadelphia games but he's just not made for today's NBA. IMO he's a poor man's Andre Miller and even Miller at his best wouldn't start in today's NBA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's usually an improvement, at first. Once defenses prepare for him though, that improvement is short lived. I love the guy, he's the only reason I watch Philadelphia games but he's just not made for today's NBA. IMO he's a poor man's Andre Miller and even Miller at his best wouldn't start in today's NBA.
As I said, he reminds me of Miller but I think you're selling Miller short. I think he'd start for most teams, but if a team is dead is dead set on being fast and transition based... Miller ain't the guy, McConnell either in the long term, but I do think he'd be better than what we have, but if the price is a 1st I'd pass.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
McConnell is one of those players that you just think of as a backup based upon his athleticism. But in the right situation, he is probably a very adequate starter. He will never be a star though.

He will probably coach in this league and be very good at it. He carries himself like a coach--like a real coach, not the Watson type.
We don't really need a star at PG. Just one who is skilled at distributing the ball. And, hopefully, playing good defense. And the icing on the cake, if he can sink some 3's.

When a Point Guard carries himself like a real coach (on the floor), he makes the rest of the team better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is the second reference I’ve seen to Andre Miller. I don’t get it. There’s no comparison in my mind. Miller played bullyball as a pg with extreme physicality. McConnell isn’t that guy at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the second reference I’ve seen to Andre Miller. I don’t get it. There’s no comparison in my mind. Miller played bullyball as a pg with extreme physicality. McConnell isn’t that guy at all.

They're not the same player but they are each limited in similar ways. Like most player comparisons, it's flawed but there aren't a lot of great comps for a player like McConnell. He's an extremely heady player but he lacks in physical gifts.

Drop_D

Rookie
Reaction score
They're not the same player but they are each limited in similar ways. Like most player comparisons, it's flawed but there aren't a lot of great comps for a player like McConnell. He's an extremely heady player but he lacks in physical gifts.
You mean, like Magic Johnson?

*Stands back and watches the fireworks* [/URL]https://goo.gl/images/Wzk179][/URL]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean, like Magic Johnson?

*Stands back and watches the fireworks*

There are a lot of high BB IQ players but do you really see a resemblance between TJ's game and Magic's?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would take an out of shape Magic over almost any PG as it stands on our roster! :)

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'll take Magic with a bad back and a bum knee over any of our PGs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard