2018-19 Suns Roster Finalized Today

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rosters must be set today, October 15th, at 2pm Arizona time. We need to trim down to 15 players. Right now we have 17 but one is Arthur, who we've applied for an injury exemption for. If granted he won't cost a roster spot. That leaves us with 16 signed but only room for 15, not counting Two-Way deals.

Right now we have...

3 Centers - Ayton, Chandler, Holmes
2 Power Forwards - Anderson, Bender, (Darrell Arthur - Injury Exemption)
3 Small Forwards - Ariza, Warren, Jackson
4 Shooting Guard Booker, Bridges, Daniels, Reed
4 Point Guards - Canaan, Okobo, Harrison, Melton

On Two-Way deals we have King and 1 open spot.

Harrison and Reed are the only 2 guys on non-guaranteed deals. We can not convert anyone to a Two-Way deal either but we can waive them and sign them to a Two-Way deal if they clear waivers. Since we can't convert their deals, no one else can either, so the odds of them getting picked up are slim. If we waive Okobo or melton though there might be a team who makes room for them since they're on cheap 2nd round pick salaries plus both were rated as good prospects entering the league.

If we sign Crawford then we'll release both, I would guess, but I think that's unlikely. Ha

Important Dates This Season

Any thoughts on how we get down to 15 or less? There could be a trade today also to make room, which would probably be ideal since we'll add something/someone.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did the disabled player exception get approved? Anyone?

My guess is that we are looking at Crawford, but that is dependent upon who else might be available in the next day or so.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rosters must be set today, October 15th, at 2pm Arizona time. We need to trim down to 15 players. Right now we have 17 but one is Arthur, who we've applied for an injury exemption for. If granted he won't cost a roster spot. That leaves us with 16 signed but only room for 15, not counting Two-Way deals.

Right now we have...

3 Centers - Ayton, Chandler, Holmes
2 Power Forwards - Anderson, Bender, (Darrell Arthur - Injury Exemption)
3 Small Forwards - Ariza, Warren, Jackson
4 Shooting Guard Booker, Bridges, Daniels, Reed
4 Point Guards - Canaan, Okobo, Harrison, Melton

On Two-Way deals we have King and 1 open spot.

Harrison and Reed are the only 2 guys on non-guaranteed deals. We can not convert anyone to a Two-Way deal either but we can waive them and sign them to a Two-Way deal if they clear waivers. Since we can't convert their deals, no one else can either, so the odds of them getting picked up are slim. If we waive Okobo or melton though there might be a team who makes room for them since they're on cheap 2nd round pick salaries plus both were rated as good prospects entering the league.

If we sign Crawford then we'll release both, I would guess, but I think that's unlikely. Ha

Important Dates This Season

Any thoughts on how we get down to 15 or less? There could be a trade today also to make room, which would probably be ideal since we'll add something/someone.

I see this every year. Teams are trying to do 2 for 1 trades to not lose assets to the waiver wire. The problem that is everyone is a seller right now and no one is a buyer. All the teams are trying to move multiple assets.

We will cut either Harrison or Canaan. We will have to choose one.
I will not be surprised to see us waive Bender. Yes we will pay him money this year, but if he has no role, he is just eating up a roster spot that we could use for someone else. I would still like to keep our options open on him another year since he is so young, but I am not sure that will happen.
If not Bender, Daniels seems a likely candidate to me.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see this every year. Teams are trying to do 2 for 1 trades to not lose assets to the waiver wire. The problem that is everyone is a seller right now and no one is a buyer. All the teams are trying to move multiple assets.

We will cut either Harrison or Canaan. We will have to choose one.
I will not be surprised to see us waive Bender. Yes we will pay him money this year, but if he has no role, he is just eating up a roster spot that we could use for someone else. I would still like to keep our options open on him another year since he is so young, but I am not sure that will happen.
If not Bender, Daniels seems a likely candidate to me.

Forgot Canaan is on a non-guaranteed deal. I don't think he'll be waived though. I think Harrison is the most likely candidate with Reed behind him. I know a lot of teams are trying to trade players so they get a return but I could actually see the Suns being able to find a taker for Daniels or Bender, especially before Bender's option is due. Chandler is another candidate to be sent on his way by buyout.

Who knows what happens but today is kind of like the 2nd round of the draft, IMO, with all teams trying to work deals before the next phase in the season starts. During the draft everyone is trying to make a trade happen so they're in a better spot for free agency and now everyone is shoring up their roster for the season.

Nothing big typically happens but a few years back the Suns traded Gortat about this time and that was a fairly big move since he was our starting C. I don't see anything that big happening but who knows. We got about 3 1/2 hours until we know for sure.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams is saying we signed Crawford, which makes things a little more interesting as the clock winds down. Harrison is likely a goner and so is Canaan although Reed could take Canaan's spot on his way out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be a player had 48 hours to clear waivers. I'm wondering if this is still the case. If Beverley is waived and the Suns claim him, the Suns would owe him $5,027,028. So the Suns might decide to wait for him to clear waivers.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be a player had 48 hours to clear waivers. I'm wondering if this is still the case. If Beverley is waived and the Suns claim him, the Suns would owe him $5,027,028. So the Suns might decide to wait for him to clear waivers.

That is still the case. The Suns should have first claim on waivers because we had the worst record last year. We don't have the cap space to claim him though. If he becomes a free agent then anyone can sign him. The only way we get him for sure is to get the cap space to claim him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams is saying we signed Crawford, which makes things a little more interesting as the clock winds down. Harrison is likely a goner and so is Canaan although Reed could take Canaan's spot on his way out.

I've grown to like the idea of adding Crawford with so many questions in the Suns back court. There are a lot of marginal players there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is still the case. The Suns should have first claim on waivers because we had the worst record last year. We don't have the cap space to claim him though. If he becomes a free agent then anyone can sign him. The only way we get him for sure is to get the cap space to claim him.

This is perhaps one of the reasons James was made the new GM, to entice players that might otherwise to choose another team. However, I don't think the Suns should risk it if they can clear salary space.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is perhaps one of the reasons James was made the new GM, to entice players that might otherwise to choose another team. However, I don't think the Suns should risk it if they can clear salary space.

I'm surprised we signed Crawford, regardless of what I think of him as a player at this point. He's the sort of player who you would think would wait to sign with a contender but we signed him to a league minimum deal. He's a well liked and respected player amongst his peers also. It's odd but encouraging. I say it's odd because we don't really need him since he's not a PG and we don't need a SG but it's encouraging because we're not a title contender and him signing here shows Jones does have a good relationship with players. Crawford waited all summer to sign a deal and signed here and it wasn't for the money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised we signed Crawford, regardless of what I think of him as a player at this point. He's the sort of player who you would think would wait to sign with a contender but we signed him to a league minimum deal. He's a well liked and respected player amongst his peers also. It's odd but encouraging. I say it's odd because we don't really need him since he's not a PG and we don't need a SG but it's encouraging because we're not a title contender and him signing here shows Jones does have a good relationship with players. Crawford waited all summer to sign a deal and signed here and it wasn't for the money.

I think it may be an indicator of how weak the Suns back court is. Lots of players but not a lot of substance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo guesses on the Suns cuts.

I'm still waiting on the Disabled Player Exception for Arthur so I disagree about Arthur.

Harrison and Canaan are also possibilities.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm usually overly optimistic about the Suns roster heading into the season. This season I'm not as I can see a lot of weaknesses. I guess I gave given McDonough too much credit while he was here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Woj saying we are working on a trade with Reed involved, but if nothing happens, he'll be one of the casualties.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Woj saying we are working on a trade with Reed involved, but if nothing happens, he'll be one of the casualties.

Guessing that might be something involving Beverly... but maybe we can hope for McConnell?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guessing that might be something involving Beverly... but maybe we can hope for McConnell?

Um, no I think that is wishful thinking.

You should be thinking for a second round pick, or cash

Raindog

Reaction score
Um, no I think that is wishful thinking.

You should be thinking for a second round pick, or cash

Not Reed by himself... in a package with something else - maybe a second rounder, cash, etc.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Yup, just for context:

The Suns are still working on trade scenarios, but plan to either trade or waive guard Davon Reed today, league sources tell ESPN. They'll need to move out three players, including Reed, to get to 15 for opening night.

This suggests to me the disabled exception hasn't gone through

Last edited:

Raindog

Reaction score
I guess this means we can also chalk up Reed as another McD misfire.

I know it was only a second round pick, but I was irritated at the time that we passed on Jordan Bell for him. Bell would probably be a rotation player here by now, if not a starter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess this means we can also chalk up Reed as another McD misfire.

I know it was only a second round pick, but I was irritated at the time that we passed on Jordan Bell for him. Bell would probably be a rotation player here by now, if not a starter.

Other than John Gambadoro, I don't know of anyone outside the Suns who didn't call the Reed pick a headscratcher the moment it was made.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Canaan/Okobo/Melton
Booker/Crawford/Daniels
Ariza/Jackson/Bridges
Anderson/Warren/Bender
Ayton/Chandler/Holmes

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I prefer Shaq to Canaan in a vacuum, but I get wanting to keep Canaan on the roster if your other two point guards are unproven, 2nd round rookies. You have to think the Suns will be aggressive in looking for help at point guard, and that Booker and Crawford will play there at least some until something changes.