Current (post draft) Roster

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Book will come to camp in shape.

You must be registered for see images attach

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
man... those ball handlers are a pretty weak bunch. I'm really excited for the future of this club, but if that's the three headed monster at PG for us, next year might be relatively ugly again.
'Remember when McDonough announced that a Point Guard was our priority for our second pick in the draft?

Don't believe it until you see it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Remember when McDonough announced that a Point Guard was our priority for our second pick in the draft?

Don't believe it until you see it.

It is disappointing the Suns have not upgraded the point guard position but I don't recall it was a lock they were to address it with #16. There were not a lot of good options although Aaron Holiday would have been available if they stayed put.

Of course the Suns traded up with #16 and the future Miami pick for Bridges. They did draft Okobo at #31.

I agree the Suns still need to address the PG position but it will probably be by trade or free agency.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best pg prospect at #16 was Okobo.

Here is what McDonough said about it.

“We had Élie rated a lot higher than early in the second round,” McDonough said. “He really impressed us with size, athleticism (and) shooting. He’s still developing as a player, but he’s made rapid progress over the last six months or so.”

I'm not sure if that means he was rated ahead of Holiday who was selected at #23 or Shamet at #26.

http://www.sports360az.com/2018/06/suns-gm-ryan-mcdonough-recaps-h1storic-draft/

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds convenient now, but I think Okobo's a better prospect than both. Barring a surprise, however, he's not as NBA ready as either.

I'm not sure about it at the moment. A part of me wonders if the Suns would have been better off addressing PG at #16 and #31 if they do not make any further moves. Holiday and Okobo might not have been a terrible draft at those slots.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about it at the moment. A part of me wonders if the Suns would have been better off addressing PG at #16 and #31 if they do not make any further moves. Holiday and Okobo might not have been a terrible draft at those slots.

I don't know that a rookie was ever really the answer. In an ideal world, they can add a Tyus Jones or Darren Collison type for minimal cost. Failing that, the hope is that Knight does enough to get us through the year and Okobo or Harrison takes big steps. Then, the Suns can head into 2019 with one of the 2019 point guard free agents and an emerging prospect backing that free agent up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that a rookie was ever really the answer. In an ideal world, they can add a Tyus Jones or Darren Collison type for minimal cost. Failing that, the hope is that Knight does enough to get us through the year and Okobo or Harrison takes big steps. Then, the Suns can head into 2019 with one of the 2019 point guard free agents and an emerging prospect backing that free agent up.

I think Collison or Jones would be a better choice at PG now and maybe into the future.

When the Suns made a trade using #16 I kept hoping it was for a PG. I guess it will depend on who the Suns acquire. They will look fine if they acquire a PG that has the ability to start. Kicking the ball down the court does not make me feel good.

If the Suns do not acquire a PG, they could have done worse than drafting Holiday and Okobo. PG was a need entering the draft and free agency.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Collison or Jones would be a better choice at PG now and maybe into the future.

When the Suns made a trade using #16 I kept hoping it was for a PG. I guess it will depend on who the Suns acquire. They will look fine if they acquire a PG that has the ability to start. Kicking the ball down the court does not make me feel good.

If the Suns do not acquire a PG, they could have done worse than drafting Holiday and Okobo. PG was a need entering the draft and free agency.

When SGA made it past 9 I expected us to trade up for him. He closed out the season strongly and he looked like the best PG option available for us. I think he averaged something like 19 points, 7 assists and 5 boards his final 10 games. In the end though, I'm not sure we didn't made the right trade. Bridges should be solid at worst and despite Shai's all around PG game, his less than ideal quickness is a concern.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When SGA made it past 9 I expected us to trade up for him. He closed out the season strongly and he looked like the best PG option available for us. I think he averaged something like 19 points, 7 assists and 5 boards his final 10 games. In the end though, I'm not sure we didn't made the right trade. Bridges should be solid at worst and despite Shai's all around PG game, his less than ideal quickness is a concern.

This is what I was hoping until the end. I thought the Suns had a trade in the works to draft Shai. The Suns sure like Bridges. I'm hoping they are right.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I started listening just as the Suns drafted Zharie and I was pleased with that... I was hoping for him or SGA as our shat at a PGOF. So far I think the way it worked out was better than my idea.

I'm enjoying the thought that when we really need a stop at the end of a game we can trot out Harrison, Reed, Bridges, Ariza and Ayton or Holmes, depending on how long their center is. We could switch almost everything wo a bad mismatch.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually think Knight and Collison are comparable players. Neither has been an All-Star but they've both been the level just below that. A starting PG that can play the role you ask decent enough that you don't need to be openly looking for an upgrade. If one becomes available then you take it but that's only because their ceilings aren't high enough to be a franchise level PG but they can cover the position for a couple of years.

Here are there career numbers...

Collison - 12.7 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.0 turnovers and 47% FG% with 39% from 3.
Knight - 15.2 ppg, 4.3 apg, 2.7 turnovers and 42% FG% with 36% from 3.

Knight's not as good of a shooter but he has been improving throughout his career. If he takes smarter shots that can go up, easily. The teams he's played on haven't provided a lot of help either as far as players to pass to or lessen his scoring load. There will be plenty of options next year for him on the team to pass to. Igor's offense is supposed to have a lot of ball movement so Knight may not be an issue.

I know he hasn't looked good as a Sun but he's been played out of position since he's been here. He's always maintained he's a PG but they only played him as a combo guard, with Bledsoe handling the ball a lot more. Stats back that up also. In his first year it says he played 68% of his time at SG, his 2nd year was 59% at SG with an added 4% at SF, and the year he came off the bench it was 54% PG and 46% SG.

When he played 100% of his time as a PG he was considered an All-Star snub in Milwaukee and was leading them to a playoff birth before he was traded. He clashed with Kidd, so Kidd had the Bucks move him. Maybe he rebounds, maybe he doesn't but unless we can bring in someone for cheap, I don't think we should rush to replace him right now. Igor likes what he sees and everyone is giving him benefit of doubt in every other personnel move, like going after Ariza, adding Bridges in the draft, etc. So we'll see what happens with Knight as the PG. If Knight can keep from being a liability, that's lowers our need for another PG right now. If he can be who he was in Milwaukee though? We'll be in great shape.

Scroll down to the Play-By-Play listing to see how he was used on the floor, as far as the position he played, that's where it's all listed.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/knighbr03.html

OP
OP
S

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Updated with the Holmes/Dudley trades:

Knight / Okobo / Harrison
Booker / Bridges / Daniels / Reed
Jackson / Warren / King
Ariza / Bender / Chriss
Ayton / Holmes / Chandler

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way to address the pg position with those picks (that would have made any more of a difference) would have been to trade them for an established pg.

As I look around the league, TJ McConnell seems to make the most sense as a possible solution to our pg problems. He is playing behind Simmons and Fultz and the Sixers just drafted Shamet and they also have Bayless on the roster. Now I think the Sixers are going to start both Simmons and Fultz and play TJ off of the bench.

The thing about TJ is that he is not very fast, he is not an athlete, but he is a good shooter and distributor and he works his butt off on defense. He is the pg version of (young) Jared Dudley. That could work for us right now.

I just hope the Sixers feel their roster is imbalanced enough to have to move him. They need shooting so Daniels or Bender (plus something) in some form might make sense if they are so inclined.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way to address the pg position with those picks (that would have made any more of a difference) would have been to trade them for an established pg.

As I look around the league, TJ McConnell seems to make the most sense as a possible solution to our pg problems. He is playing behind Simmons and Fultz and the Sixers just drafted Shamet and they also have Bayless on the roster. Now I think the Sixers are going to start both Simmons and Fultz and play TJ off of the bench.

The thing about TJ is that he is not very fast, he is not an athlete, but he is a good shooter and distributor and he works his butt off on defense. He is the pg version of (young) Jared Dudley. That could work for us right now.

I just hope the Sixers feel their roster is imbalanced enough to have to move him. They need shooting so Daniels or Bender (plus something) in some form might make sense if they are so inclined.

I've never been a huge fan of McConnell (haven't watched him a lot) but it's hard to deny he is better than what the Suns have at PG. I'm not sure if he will get much better. I've always viewed him as a backup PG. Maybe this is why the 76ers keep acquiring PGs.

If the Suns could get him at the right price, why not. I do not like the idea of giving up a first round pick for him. I get the impression there are other PGs just like him waiting for the right opportunity. Teo might be an option as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of McConnell (haven't watched him a lot) but it's hard to deny he is better than what the Suns have at PG. I'm not sure if he will get much better. I've always viewed him as a backup PG. Maybe this is why the 76ers keep acquiring PGs.

If the Suns could get him at the right price, why not. I do not like the idea of giving up a first round pick for him. I get the impression there are other PGs just like him waiting for the right opportunity. Teo might be an option as well.
McConnell is one of those players that you just think of as a backup based upon his athleticism. But in the right situation, he is probably a very adequate starter. He will never be a star though.

He will probably coach in this league and be very good at it. He carries himself like a coach--like a real coach, not the Watson type.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McConnell is one of those players that you just think of as a backup based upon his athleticism. But in the right situation, he is probably a very adequate starter. He will never be a star though.

He will probably coach in this league and be very good at it. He carries himself like a coach--like a real coach, not the Watson type.

It seems the Suns have something going on with the 76ers (Holmes, Bridges). However, I'm not for trading them any more assets unless McConnell comes cheap. If the Suns give up the Bucks pick for him I will be disappointed.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite being unathletic he's a really good defender, he takes care of the ball, but he isn't much of a transition point guard and he can't penetrate to create. Still, he's a good player and a "coach on the floor" type.

He isn't as good of a passer but he reminds me of Andre Miller. Really smart player who you'd never think would make it but will probably carve out a long career.

I loved McConnell at Arizona but I figured he'd spend one year as a teams 12th man, a few in Europe, then by now he'd be starting a career in coaching.

But also, probably not worth the Buck pick because I think he's going to be a free agent and the Sixers will obviously have more pressing stuff to save for.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm posting from my phone and not home, but there was a guy who went to Ohio State right around the time TJ was at Az... cagey kid, annoyingly clutch, great defender... any know who I'm talking about or what happened to him?

I'll try to look it up later if no one can, but it's bugging me that I can't think of his name.