2018/19 Opening Night Depth Chart

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teammates competing with each other for the lead at one position all season long?

Isn't it better for management to make a knowledgeable decision and, if it ultimately doesn't work, adjust it?

We've seen the results of constant internal competition.

And I disagree again. We've seen the results of greed and insecurity AFAIC but regardless, I refuse to believe that competition for your position doesn't make you stronger. Could you imagine if jobs were just handed out? Well, actually that's another problem. For those two, they were handed jobs. Neither of them earned anything.

Also, Chriss and Bender failing isn't the result of internal competition. They should be able to play together as each of them have skills and talents that align with more than one position. That they can't play together effectively (so far) is because they've both sucked, not because they play the same position.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only they had thought of that before sacrificing the Heat pick for Bridges. Bridges has looked fine so far, but if he ends up better than Jackson, then it means Jackson was a bad pick; and if he ends up less good than Jackson, then there was no point paying such a high price for him. I get that everyone is into this "positionless" concept now but you need very special circumstances to make it work.

I am pretty sure the thought is that they will play Jackson at the 4 and Bridges at the 3 once Ariza has left.

Warren will be the six man or gone.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because there's no way to avoid them competing for the same minutes. Even if they are able to play together for short stretches, you won't ever see them combining for 60+ minutes per game. That means you're not getting the value that you paid for. Imagine limiting Ayton or Booker to 30 minutes per game for the entirety of their careers as Suns teammates.

Ayton allows you to play them both at the same time.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the thought is that they will play Jackson at the 4 and Bridges at the 3 once Ariza has left.

Ayton allows you to play them both at the same time.

Dreaming is free. The Suns are foolish if they think this is realistic. I repeat that Jackson and Bridges will never combine to average 60+ mpg as long as they are Suns teammates.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess we will see. That is clearly the intent though. Jackson and Ariza are both the same height. Ariza has 10 lbs on him though so that may be part of the focus.

The person who really is out in the cold after this last draft is Chriss

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dreaming is free. The Suns are foolish if they think this is realistic. I repeat that Jackson and Bridges will never combine to average 60+ mpg as long as they are Suns teammates.
Maybe not, but you're working under the assumption that they will be worth playing that much. That's a good problem to have. Better than anything we've had the past 6 years or so.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean like Bender/Chriss or three lead Point Guards?

As Pete Seeger wrote, "When will they ever learn. Oh when will they ever learn?"
Its not the same with wings. Teams can use multiples and play them at the same time or shuffle them in and out. If there is any position where having multiple starting level talent is a good thing, its the wing position.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
If you take a look at GS or Boston they have a lot of quality wings. So could we if Warren adds to his game and Jackson and Bridges develop as we hope.

I think in terms of having a good rotation. We are on the track now with Booker, Ayton, and the aforementioned, plus a small outside chance that Bender or Chriss are starter (minutes) material by the time we have to make a decision of whether to offer them a contract or letting them walk.

Jackson and Bridges should be able to guard multiple positions and be a threat on offense so I think both could earn close to 30 mpg (in the near future).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I guess we will see. That is clearly the intent though. Jackson and Ariza are both the same height. Ariza has 10 lbs on him though so that may be part of the focus.

The person who really is out in the cold after this last draft is Chriss

And Jackson is working on adding about 10 pounds of muscle this offseason. Knowing he's just that much smaller than Ariza that number makes more sense. I posted the source to Jackson saying he was adding that weight elsewhere already, it's in a Slam Magazine article.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Jackson is working on adding about 10 pounds of muscle this offseason. Knowing he's just that much smaller than Ariza that number makes more sense. I posted the source to Jackson saying he was adding that weight elsewhere already, it's in a Slam Magazine article.

Ah I do remember seeing that. Then the Ariza 1 year deal is to mentor Jackson into what will be his role in the future. Bender I believe will be the backup 4/5. Warren the early starter / 6th man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of why a deal hasn't been done for a PG is that there isn't a clear upgrade at PG available right now and in addition to that, if they traded for someone like Teodosic or even a younger guy with potential like Tyus Jones, that could set Knight back. I know we shouldn't be planning on Knight being great but with how the team is currently assembled, or how it was after we signed Ariza, Knight was the top PG on the roster. That allows him to head into next season with something to prove and feeling like he'll get a fair shot, finally, to show the Suns what he can do for the team as a PG. He's been here 3 years but he hasn't had that chance yet because of his injuries and the 2 PG nonsense.

It would probably set Knight back mentally if we traded for someone who isn't a clear upgrade to take his spot. Of course if we could have added Kemba Walker or someone like him then I think Knight would understand why he's not starting but no one like that was available. At best we might have been able to add an Elfrid Payton type that may be a solid PG if given the chance but it would be just as likely that person wouldn't move the needle also. The direction they've gone has built up Knight some and should have helped repair his confidence, which was shot when he last played, and there's a chance he shows he's capable of being a solid PG for us. If he sucks then we should be able to find a deal similar to what we could right now. What are we losing in waiting and putting Knight in position to rebuild his career? A few wins? We're not a playoff team so that doesn't matter.

I think they've played things well. We're paying Knight regardless, so lets see if he can revert to who he was in Milwaukee. He's done his part by working with our SL team and Kokoskov since Kokoskov was hired. Rewarding him with being the opening day PG isn't that much. He needs to prove he deserved that job and that he can keep it all on his own. If he doesn't? We're in the same spot we are now. Find a deal for another PG. I doubt our options will change that much between now and a month into the season.

I agree. Giving Knight the opportunity to start at point guard seems to be the plan. If the Suns had wanted to upgrade the point guard position they could have used the the 16th pick and the future Miami pick to do so.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree. Giving Knight the opportunity to start at point guard seems to be the plan. If the Suns had wanted to upgrade the point guard position they could have used the the 16th pick and the future Miami pick to do so.
You speak in such absolutes. :)

Who's to say they didn't try?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You speak in such absolutes. :)

Who's to say they didn't try?

I have a strong feeling the Suns would have had takers if they wanted to trade the future Miami pick and #16 for a PG. Obviously they really valued Mikal Bridges.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have a strong feeling the Suns would have had takers if they wanted to trade the future Miami pick and #16 for a PG. Obviously they really valued Mikal Bridges.
That's really going out on a limb. Who do you think would have taken that package for their PG?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I tend to agree. I think Bridges was a very specific target, who fills multiple needs (shooting and defense.)
It's impossible to say what would have been available in the PG world, but I really think they wanted Bridges.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I tend to agree. I think Bridges was a very specific target, who fills multiple needs (shooting and defense.)
It's impossible to say what would have been available in the PG world, but I really think they wanted Bridges.
No question about that. But if the PG they could have acquired for those assets was Van Fleet, then I'm fine with the way it turned out. If they could have gotten Kemba Walker with those assets, then they made the wrong move.

Problem is, I don't think any of those scenarios was possible.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No question about that. But if the PG they could have acquired for those assets was Van Fleet, then I'm fine with the way it turned out. If they could have gotten Kemba Walker with those assets, then they made the wrong move.

Problem is, I don't think any of those scenarios was possible.

Well, we won't know what was possible. I think Walker could have been had if they took one of their awful contracts, but who knows. The way I look at it...Suns have so little talent that I don't even care about the positions right now. I am higher on Warren than most people here, and I am a JJ fan, but I think Bridges has the potential to be the best player of the three.
At the same time, they have Knight. There is no way to get rid of him right now, so I am fine with giving him a shot before they go after a PG next offseason (or perhaps before the deadline). I am happy with how this offseason turned out. Theoretically, they came out of the draft with the best big men and the best wing. If they end up with two or three good small forwards, it's a good problem to have.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to cut your buzz but maybe Josh is a bust and Suns had to redo.

Maybe he is but it makes no sense to me the way it went down. The Suns would have needed to decide that he was a bust and once that occurred, why would they have then chosen him to represent the franchise in the lottery? Not that it means much but IMO he's shown more potential than any Suns rookie not named Booker since the Amare draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Hmm “no way?”

PG: Knight (28), Canaan/Shaq/okobo (13), Booker (7)

SG: booker (28), Bridges (14), Reed (6)

SF: JJ (20), Bridges (16), Warren (12)

PF: ariza (25), jj (10), bender (6), Warren (7)

C: Ayton (33), bender (5) Chriss (10)

I think that’s reasonable.

Booker - 35
Ayton - 33
JJ - 30
Bridges - 30
Knight - 28 (my least favorite minutes allocation)
Ariza - 25
Warren - 19
Bender - 11
Chriss- 10
Reed - 6
Canaan/Shaq/okobo - 13

More likely either Bender or Chriss get squeezed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we won't know what was possible. I think Walker could have been had if they took one of their awful contracts, but who knows. The way I look at it...Suns have so little talent that I don't even care about the positions right now. I am higher on Warren than most people here, and I am a JJ fan, but I think Bridges has the potential to be the best player of the three.
At the same time, they have Knight. There is no way to get rid of him right now, so I am fine with giving him a shot before they go after a PG next offseason (or perhaps before the deadline). I am happy with how this offseason turned out. Theoretically, they came out of the draft with the best big men and the best wing. If they end up with two or three good small forwards, it's a good problem to have.

I think the media likes to define the Suns draft with how Ayton matches up with some of the other top draft picks. This is fair as Ayton was drafted #1. However, I'm going to be looking at how Bridges matches up with some of the other top picks as well. For example, I'm anxious to see how Bridges matches up with Doncic.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hmm “no way?”

PG: Knight (28), Canaan/Shaq/okobo (13), Booker (7)

SG: booker (28), Bridges (14), Reed (6)

SF: JJ (20), Bridges (16), Warren (12)

PF: ariza (25), jj (10), bender (6), Warren (7)

C: Ayton (33), bender (5) Chriss (10)

I think that’s reasonable.

Booker - 35
Ayton - 33
JJ - 30
Bridges - 30
Knight - 28 (my least favorite minutes allocation)
Ariza - 25
Warren - 19
Bender - 11
Chriss- 10
Reed - 6
Canaan/Shaq/okobo - 13

More likely either Bender or Chriss get squeezed.
19 for Warren please..........