2018-19 Suns Roster Finalized Today

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is it possible to convert Melton or Okobo to a two-way contract in the event we acquire a starting point guard, or are we tied in to them being on the NBA roster for the duration of their contracts?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a guess. Maybe the Suns have not filled the second two way contract spot because they are going to move a player like Melton there (providing the rules allow it) when they sign a veteran point guard.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it possible to convert Melton or Okobo to a two-way contract in the event we acquire a starting point guard, or are we tied in to them being on the NBA roster for the duration of their contracts?
I tried explaining this before... 2 way contracts are not what you think they are, and Melton and Okobo can be sent up and down without any alteration to their current deals.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I tried explaining this before... 2 way contracts are not what you think they are, and Melton and Okobo can be sent up and down without any alteration to their current deals.

So we still have another two-way contract to use in addition to whomever on our current roster we choose to send down?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Then I have no idea why the Suns haven't signed anyone yet, unless the GM succession plan is in even more disarray than I suspected.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then I have no idea why the Suns haven't signed anyone yet, unless the GM succession plan is in even more disarray than I suspected.

I think you are over estimating the importance of a 2 way contract to an absolutely insane extent.

This is the kind of thing that is nice to have if you end up with a rash of injuries. A few teams haven't used any of their 2 way contracts, several others have only used 1.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you are over estimating the importance of a 2 way contract to an absolutely insane extent.

This is the kind of thing that is nice to have if you end up with a rash of injuries. A few teams haven't used any of their 2 way contracts, several others have only used 1.

Well, Daniels is hurt, Ayton is hurt, Bender can't play and we're still woefully unmanned at point guard and power forward. Seems to me that we could use all of the reinforcements we can get.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, Daniels is hurt, Ayton is hurt, Bender can't play and we're still woefully unmanned at point guard and power forward. Seems to me that we could use all of the reinforcements we can get.
And someone that we pull off of the streets right now is going to make any big difference? I totally understand the sentiment, but you have a way of making issues seem far bigger than they actually are...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And someone that we pull off of the streets right now is going to make any big difference? I totally understand the sentiment, but you have a way of making issues seem far bigger than they actually are...

My point is that it would be nice to see that our front office is functioning effectively in the aftermath of the McD firing, particularly given James Jones's cryptic press conference. I haven't seen any sign of that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My point is that it would be nice to see that our front office is functioning effectively in the aftermath of the McD firing, particularly given James Jones's cryptic press conference. I haven't seen any sign of that.
Signing a 2-way or not isn’t a good sign of a competent front office. It is as minor as you can get.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Signing a 2-way or not isn’t a good sign of a competent front office. It is as minor as you can get.

At this point, I will take any sign, no matter how minor. And there is absolutely no obstacle to this particular action, which is why I am left wondering.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At this point, I will take any sign, no matter how minor. And there is absolutely no obstacle to this particular action, which is why I am left wondering.
I am amazed that you think that would make a difference. Our other 2-way is George King. I don’t see you clamoring for him to play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am amazed that you think that would make a difference. Our other 2-way is George King. I don’t see you clamoring for him to play.

You keep missing my point. It couldn't hurt to sign another two-way player, and there is no reason not to do it, so it is by far the easiest thing for a functioning front office to do to show some sign, any sign, of life, in the aftermath of a post-mcD-firing press conference that left at least some, including myself, wondering whether or not we still have a functioning front office.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You keep missing my point. It couldn't hurt to sign another two-way player, and there is no reason not to do it, so it is by far the easiest thing for a functioning front office to do to show some sign, any sign, of life, in the aftermath of a post-mcD-firing press conference that left at least some, including myself, wondering whether or not we still have a functioning front office.
Okay I will play your game. Maybe they are taking their time combing through options before making a decision. They also recently made some G-League trades that may lead to someone getting signed to a 2-way deal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not even a molehill, let alone the mountain you're making it out to be. Is there even any real benefit for signing two ways? It's nice if you have too many NBA players but it's kind of useless if all you have for it is other team's castoffs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

All you're displaying is complete ignorance of what 2 way contracts are, how they work and whether or not they'd even be with the team right now (they wouldn't).

You already have shown that you've got no clue how they work, yet you're still hammering this utter nonsense for the same baseless reason.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not even a molehill, let alone the mountain you're making it out to be. Is there even any real benefit for signing two ways? It's nice if you have too many NBA players but it's kind of useless if all you have for it is other team's castoffs.
And he’s also forgetting that little thing called money. It costs money for a 2-way contract.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And he’s also forgetting that little thing called money. It costs money for a 2-way contract.

My bad. It's not like the owners haven't already made hundreds of millions of dollars on their investment, or like the managing general partner has a reputation for being cheap that he needs to shed...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My bad. It's not like the owners haven't already made hundreds of millions of dollars on their investment, or like the managing general partner has a reputation for being cheap that he needs to shed...
So you’re solution is to spend money just to spend it? I don’t know about anyone else, but adding another 2-way does basically nothing for basketball OR business.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My solution is to do something, anything, to earn back the trust and confidence of the fan base, rather than keep repeating the same old losing formula from the past 8 seasons.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My solution is to do something, anything, to earn back the trust and confidence of the fan base, rather than keep repeating the same old losing formula from the past 8 seasons.

That's not a solution, it's just bad rhetoric. Do you really think throwing away money at a probably useless player will win fans trust? Anyway I'd wager we will offer our 2nd 2 way, when the right player becomes available. Like the Spurs, the Grizzlies, the Pelicans, the T-Wolves, the Hornets and the Celtics, we haven't found anyone yet. Apparently.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Reed cleared waiver then I could have seen the Suns signing him to a Two-Way deal. There IS a downside to signing someone to one and that would be signing anyone just to use it and then needing to waive them to sign who we want to actually fill that spot. You don't want the Suns to have a reputation of casting people off left and right because then why would quality two-way type players sign here? We have King already, who is a combo forward, so I would think the other spot is saved for a prospective guard.

Also about converting deals to two-way deals, it can't happen if there is more than 1 year on it, even if the second year is not guaranteed. The only deals that can be converted are league minimum deals for 1 year with a special clause in them that allows them to be converted. I don't feel like looking it up but it's called like an Article 11 provision. So that rules out Okobo or Melton being converted. As Phrazbit said, we can send them down to our G-League affiliate all year if we want though. We'll need to pay them like NBA players, which is one reason why teams don't send 2nd round picks down for the entire year, but that is why Two-Way deals were added, so they can get paid like NBA players for 45 days of the year and then like G-Leaguers for the rest. It is significant to the owner, about 400 thousand or so dollars which I would bet is probably more than most posters here make in a year so let's not spend Sarver's money so quickly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The thing you're whining about them not using is something several other teams around the league are not using and you have proven you have absolutely zero idea how it works, what it's for or why having it free it beneficial.

But... hey, none of it matters because you've decided it's a new thing to whine about.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some moves I like.

Melton will get needed playing time with the Northern Arizona Suns and the Suns are claiming Jawun Evans.

IMO, Evans has a real chance with the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media