Current (post draft) Roster

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The new NBA has three positions on the court. 1 big (sometimes 2), 3 wings (sometimes 2), and 1 pg. All kinds of matchup chess goes on with the wings.

The Suns present roster looks like this:

Bigs: Ayton, Chandler, Chriss
Wings: Booker, Ariza, Mikal, JJ, TJ, Bender, Daniels, (I guess, Dudley)
Point guards: Knight, Okobo, Harrison

With that in mind, this roster does not seem unbalanced. We could use an upgrade at starting pg, but other than that, it is decent. With Bender, there is nice variety at wing.

Ayton has to be a consideration for ROY. There is not much there to take away minutes. At this point, he is going to have to play heavy minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new NBA has three positions on the court. 1 big (sometimes 2), 3 wings (sometimes 2), and 1 pg. All kinds of matchup chess goes on with the wings.

The Suns present roster looks like this:

Bigs: Ayton, Chandler, Chriss
Wings: Booker, Ariza, Mikal, JJ, TJ, Bender, Daniels, (I guess, Dudley)
Point guards: Knight, Okobo, Harrison

With that in mind, this roster does not seem unbalanced. We could use an upgrade at starting pg, but other than that, it is decent. With Bender, there is nice variety at wing.

Ayton has to be a consideration for ROY. There is not much there to take away minutes. At this point, he is going to have to play heavy minutes.

Well, winning in chess is all about controlling the center. Hopefully, with Ayton, we now control THE center that matters.

Today's NBA: 0 to 2 point guards, 2 to 4 wings, 0 to 2 bigs.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Jared Dudley

In the history of the NBA has anybody ever played in more games with less physical ability?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jared Dudley

In the history of the NBA has anybody ever played in more games with less physical ability?
Jared Dudley is like a fan who gets to play. He really is a geek type fan of the game. He is probably on all the message boards. That is what makes him fun.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared Dudley

First name I thought of was Dale Schlueter who finished his career backing up Alvan Adams but Duds has played 200 more games than him. Maybe Joe Kleine?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jared Dudley

Not that were under 7 feet tall. If you were 7 feet or taller you could play 10 years in the league if you were drafted between the late 70's and mid 90's. Dudley's BB-IQ is high, his motor is good, he doesn't take plays off defensively, and he can shoot. That's it though. He's not athletic, fast, quick, strong, or have good ball handling skills.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that were under 7 feet tall. If you were 7 feet or taller you could play 10 years in the league if you were drafted between the late 70's and mid 90's. Dudley's BB-IQ is high, his motor is good, he doesn't take plays off defensively, and he can shoot. That's it though. He's not athletic, fast, quick, strong, or have good ball handling skills.

IMO you left out his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. At one end he had great hands and at the other a propensity to gain (soft) weight every time he signed a contract with us.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Ariza is starting for sure.

My likely starting right now:

Anyone but Knight
Booker
Jackson
Ariza
Ayton

I agree on Ariza, but not on the PG position.

Hopefully we'll see a lot of Bridges, Warren and Bender also. Should give us a nice and flexible rotation.

Excited to see what Ayton can do. Also looking forward to see progress from Jackson. Not expecting anything from Bender and Chriss. If they can contribute consistently then great. If not you just cut your losses.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
First name I thought of was Dale Schlueter who finished his career backing up Alvan Adams but Duds has played 200 more games than him. Maybe Joe Kleine?

How about another former Suns Dudley - Chris? Probably the least athletic player in the history of the NBA. Also, the worst free throw shooter in history. Was a gritty player, though.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Ed Nealy, also - see above. :D

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I agree on Ariza, but not on the PG position.

Hopefully we'll see a lot of Bridges, Warren and Bender also. Should give us a nice and flexible rotation.

Excited to see what Ayton can do. Also looking forward to see progress from Jackson. Not expecting anything from Bender and Chriss. If they can contribute consistently then great. If not you just cut your losses.

Who's going to start at PG other than Knight? Okobo is a rookie, Booker is going to be exclusively a 2, and the circus of G-League PGs we were throwing out towards the end of the season are not any better. The only way Knight doesn't start is if the Suns can add another PG via trade or free agency, but it sees as if the traction on that is relatively slow.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight is going to start at pg and you are going to like it.

I hope.

If Igor runs the offense, I think he will, the pg position will be a much different role than it was in Steve Nash days. He will run the break some, but JJ, Booker, and Bridges are all capable of leading the break.

Otherwise, the pg brings the ball up and makes the initial offensive pass. After that, he is just part of the motion offense like everyone else.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance we bring in another vet guard and that okobo spends much of next year in the dleague.

The French basketball league is pathetic. Lower level play than Spain, the Balkan leagues, Turkey or Greece.

I've got high hopes for the kid but he's probably going to have a serious adjustment period.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance we bring in another vet guard and that okobo spends much of next year in the dleague.

The French basketball league is pathetic. Lower level play than Spain, the Balkan leagues, Turkey or Greece.

I've got high hopes for the kid but he's probably going to have a serious adjustment period.
He was signed to a 1st rounder contract. He won't play more than maybe a handful of games in the G-League this year. I think the Suns fully intend him being a part of the rotation this year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was signed to a 1st rounder contract. He won't play more than maybe a handful of games in the G-League this year. I think the Suns fully intend him being a part of the rotation this year.
That contract gives them more time to develop him.

Lots of first round picks are seeing dleague stints anyway.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That contract gives them more time to develop him.

Lots of first round picks are seeing dleague stints anyway.
Like I said he will probably play some games down there, but I doubt it will be enough to call it "much of next year". At most I suspect he will see about a handful of games in the G-League.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he's in the rotation right away, I'll be impressed, but as is, he's really young and he was really streaky in a league that doesn't sniff NCAA level competition.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score

I hope.

If Igor runs the offense, I think he will, the pg position will be a much different role than it was in Steve Nash days. He will run the break some, but JJ, Booker, and Bridges are all capable of leading the break.

Otherwise, the pg brings the ball up and makes the initial offensive pass. After that, he is just part of the motion offense like everyone else.

... the pg brings the ball up, doesn't pass, but shoots a long two early in the shot clock. I have a good memory.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about another former Suns Dudley - Chris? Probably the least athletic player in the history of the NBA. Also, the worst free throw shooter in history. Was a gritty player, though.

Chris Dudley is a good choice but I think he's a ballet dancer compared to "our those my feet?" Schlueter. Chris probably wins if you're talking least athletic player to get a big paycheck.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey guys. I don't really know if this means anything but the last three people on Twitter that Damien Lillard followed:

Devin Booker
Marquese Chriss
Mikal Bridges

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey guys. I don't really know if this means anything but the last three people on Twitter that Damien Lillard followed:

Devin Booker
Marquese Chriss
Mikal Bridges

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm not sure but I think they started following him first.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope.

Bordow thinks the Suns will need to add a PG with Kinight coming off surgery and Okobo not ready. No mention of Harrison.

https://www.azcentral.com/videos/sp...t-guard-summer-league-team-preview/760345002/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard