Cards need to fill one of three key positions via free agency.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and me both.

I'll hop on that bandwagon too. Imagine our 3-4 with Maualuga, Dansby, Hayes and Pace. I've never been a big 3-4 fan but I'd really like that lineup.

Hell, imagine a defense with Maualuga, Dockett and Wilson. No one on the other team would want to be holding the ball.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I rate the left side of the O-line as a bigger need than RB. Also I have said it for years and I will say it for years to come. Suggs sucks. After this year I am 100% sure that Pace is the better player.
Cardsfan,
Do you think Suggs would be a good pickup?:trout:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have a strong feeling that Berry will restructure and finish off with the Cards. Re-sign Pace. Along with an emerging Antonio Smith and a rejuvenated Chike, we are set at DE for at least next season.

FA pick ups: Faneca, Drayton Florence, and Donte Stallworth (we get him on the cheap).

Draft: 1st round CB Cason
2nd round Best RB available

Could be Ray Rice. He is really flying under the radar.

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
I think a CB and O-line are the two main needs via FA this off season. More options are available for these two positions.

4-5 good options at CB, and Faneca is out there amon other lineman.

If we can pull this off, it opens up the draft possibilities so much. First round we get a speed DE/LB. Putting pressure on the QB should be a top priority this year.

Next pick a RB OTF. I like Edge, and would not mind one more year, but I would not lose sleep if he is cut. We need a serious influx of speed at RB. A RB with HR ability, will not only make are running game instantly better, ( Edges lack of burst and break away speed is part to blame for average ground game ), but help Matt out a great deal. Cut Shipp, and maybe JJ. They both are not worth the money they get.

Round 3 we can look at o-line, or another CB. 4-7 we go BPA. Dont forget we should get a 3rd round pick for Davis as a compensatory pick, which would be another good player added.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll hop on that bandwagon too. Imagine our 3-4 with Maualuga, Dansby, Hayes and Pace. I've never been a big 3-4 fan but I'd really like that lineup.

Hell, imagine a defense with Maualuga, Dockett and Wilson. No one on the other team would want to be holding the ball.

According to ESPN.com's Todd McShay, Maualuga is already decided to return for his senior season. Sorry. Besides, isn't he an ILB? Can he rush the passer against OTs?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There are 3 key positions the Cards must address in the offseason. They most likely won't fnd that talent after the second round, so, imho, they need to fill at least one in free agency. The 3 positions I speak of are DE, CB and an explosive power RB, in that order. Graves has stated that the Cards will not be active in F/A and I see that as a Grave mistake. I think if 1 of those positions is left not filled with playmakers it exposes that entire phase of the team.

We don't know if Berry will be back, but even if he is we need a game changing DE to groom as his heir apparent and limit the wear and tear on Berry. Posters have mentioned Suggs to fill this role, but I don't see him leaving the Ravens. In fact I don't see any team letting the type of player we need to get to free agency. Drafting Ghoulston would be perfect, but he may not make to #15. Groves out of Auburn might be the next best option.

We all know that we are in desperate need of a good cover corner. This is another position that I don't see getting loose in free agency. At least not without breaking the bank. I think we have to address this in the draft and with more than one pick. Thankfully this draft is regarded as being deep with CB talent. If I was drafting for the Cards and I used my 1st rounder on a DE, then I would be looking to pick CB in the 2nd round. The best players most likely to be available are Lowery (San Jose State) and Cromartie (Tennessee State). They are both very similar.

So I've used my first 2 picks on the DE and CB positions and I don't think we are going to find the explosive power RB that we need in the rest of the draft unless there is a hidden gem in there somewhere. That means that we will need to sign someone in F/A. We'll have to wait to see who might be available.

I would look at using my 3rd pick on the best player of those 3 positions still available. I kind of like Torain (RB, Arizona State) especially if he's able to put on muscle and maintain his speed. I also like Godfrey (CB, Iowa).

This is my opinion of course.

And we of course face the inevitable Best Player Available vs Draft for Need? Wonder how much input Whiz will have into all this? One has to wonder just how much Graves really knows about how to draft players. He is one of the more low profile guys in his position in the league. He could be an idiot or a genius for all I know about him.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good news if you want to draft a top-rated CB or DE or DE/LB. Not so good if you want to draft a highly rated RB:

A very early "Top 16" (from the Cardinals' standpoint - which means no QB's or WR's in Round One). It also doesn't list undeclared underclassmen RB's (yet):

1. Dorsey DT LSU
2. C.Long DE U Va
3. Rivers LB USC
4. McKelvin CB Troy
5. Malc Jenkins CB OSU
6. Fluellen DE/UT Fla
7. V Hall ILB Va. Tech
8. Clady OT Boise
9. Cason CB ASU
10. Campbell DE Miami
11. F Davis TE USC
12. Mike Jenkins CB So Fla
13. Rucker TE Mizzou
14. McFadden RB Ark
15. Laurenaitis ILB OSU
16. Tribble CB Boston Coll

This list will change on an almost daily basis - as underclassmen declare, updated forty times and other stats are brought to bear and the remaining bowl and All Star games get played.

For example - Dunlap (T Auburn) has "motor issues" that, if explained could propel him back to the top 5. Tommy Blake (DE TCU had "Underwood" type head problems. If he's resolved him, he could also be a top 5 - 10 pick. Quentin Groves (LB Auburn) were to be considered less bust and more boom, he could wind up on the list. Or if Tribble was considered so unbelievable a cover guy that you could overlook is lack of height, he could go earlier. Finally, I think right now there are 5 - 10 offensive tackles; any one of which could wind up drafted in the top 16.

The good news is that, for every one of these guys who moves into the top 16, there's a higher likelihood we'll get the guys we want.

Other notes - I rated McKelvin so high on the basis of a report that rated him higher than DeMarcus Ware (also from Troy) who was picked 11th by Dallas - they said he already had the backpedaling and footwork technique as guys from the bigger college programs. I'm also betting on Malcom Jenkins on the cum - i.e. in advance of seeing him in the BCS or reading any detailed write-ups.

For those of you drooling over McFadden - sorry; he just doesn't do it for me to rank any higher than #14, but I can still be convinced otherwise.

Like I said - the list represents "how I'd rate these guys "if the draft were held today." It will change early and often.

Jeff: McFadden did have a bad game in the bowl but still gained over 100 yds. I have watched him since he played in high school and seen him play nearly every Arkansas game. This guy is a real deal runner with power and speed and a good throwing arm. If he drops below 5-6 someone is going to get a steal. His running buddy Felix Jones is going to make a fine return man with outstanding speed and moves which is becoming more and more important in the NFL. He has not decided whether to declare yet and probably will not until he figures out where he might fall in the draft. He certainly has take it to the house speed and did lead the nation in YPC at around 9.6

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What I said was that the DE position most likely would not be available to us and that the most likely position to fill in F/A is RB. I don't think we'll pick up a CB via free agency without breaking the bank. What I said was that one of the positions needed to be filled in F/A because I don't think we'll find all three in the draft. I thought I was operating out of reality. Did you misread what I wrote?

I have always felt the CB's for the most part are really a high risk early pick. Good CB's can come from way down in the draft as they are hard to evaluate compared to other positions. We have had horrible luck drafting CB's early in the draft and so have other teams. I say daft a couple of these guys but rd 4 on down. On occasion a guy like D. Sanders appears who is sure fire but rarely.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
CB is a risk but is definitely at need. Drafted cornerbacks are like receivers in that they take a while to develop and it is hard to evaluate them because of the lack of consistent talent that they face in college. Also with the rules of the NFL skewed totally towards pro-passing it makes it hard to determine if corners can adapt to the NFL. I think that this is the reason that safeties and pass rushers are becoming so important. In my opinion there is only one shut down corner in the NFL anymore and his name is Champ Bailey. No one else can be put on an island.

I feel that our best opportunity to improve our pass defense is to upgrade our pass rush. If we can put pressure on the QB without having to blitz all the time we can protect ourselves from giving up as many big plays as well as allow our corners to play up on wide receivers. Unfortunately upgrading the pass rush is easier said than done. Gholston (sp?) is probably the most natural fit and Chris Long the best DE but as for the rest nobody has stood out. What I would like to see us signing a FA (still to early to project) to help with depth as I believe that with Pace, Okeafer, Berry, FA and draft pick we would be set with a good rotation. Our success in the upcoming years will be in developing talent through the draft.

Offensive line is another area that I would love to see upgraded through a combanation of the draft and free agency. Faneca seems like a natural fit due to his familiarity w/ our scheme however I don't believe that he will be cheap. Furthermore we need to upgrade our depth at tackle and this should be another area that we can take a player in the mid to late rounds and hopefully develop them into a starter in the next couple years. This is the onus that I out on our coaching staff in order for the Cardinals to be successful as a franchise.

Finally the runningback position needs to be addressed. I don't believe that we can afford to cut Edge outright however this could hinder our ability to address this position in free agency. I believe that the easiest fix would be to add Michael Turner but this could be difficult with Edge on the roster because Turner would only sign as a starter and Edge might not want to take a diminished role. Signing Turner has some obvious benefits. He has been successful running the ball in limited opportunties and has the burst that we are looking for. He is relatively young which should allow us to get him during his best years rather than at the end of them ala E Smith and James. The potential risks of Turner are more limited than that of a drafted RB but are still there. He will command a decent dollar ammount on the FA market and has a limited workload so far in his career. The fear with Turner derives from the same feear with any low round draft pick that shows success in a part time stint. How will respond to a starters work load? Was he successful due to the system that he played in? Do he have the necessary work ethic to be productive as a starter? Can he be productive with teams game planning to stop him? The answer right now is, I don't know.

If it were up to me, which it isn't, I would probably address the offseason in this fashion. First, resign Pace and Dansby and prepare to possibly use the franchise tag on Dansby if needed. Second, restructure Fitz allowing us more money to have access to in free agancy. Third, sign Faneca at OG and Turner at RB along with depth players at CB and OLB. This allows us to go into the draft with needs at CB, OLB, OT, WR, ILB, DE but none that prevents us from taking the best available player or moving down if the value isn't there. Does this make our team complete? No, but it makes sure that we are flexible which allows to target the best players available not just players at positions of desperate need.

Final note-as with any post season plan, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time and still be right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't we just trade EJ to the Giants for either Brandon Jacobs or Derrick Ward and throw in a sixth.

Are you serious?

I doubt we could get a 5th for James alone. No way in hell we get either of those two without a lot more IMO.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Speed rusher / OlB... cornerback... etc.... all fine...

BUT... how do you ignore J... Stewart if he's there at 16???

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I won't try to convince you, but if McFadden is still there at 14, and we do not trade up, I will go insane. That equates to a 4th or 5th round pick. I know we have pressing needs, but we still get a franchise back, that can replace Edge after next year.

I'm almost 100 percent certain McFadden will be long gone by 14.

Peterson fell because of durability questions. McFadden has no such issues.

Then again, who'd have thought Brady Quinn would have fallen to the mid 20s?

Truth be told, I think if the Cards are looking at a HB, they've got a more realistic chance to get Jonathan Stewart of Oregon or McFadden's teammate, Felix Jones.

As for the CB void, there's a few names on the list of free agents that could come cap friendly, namesakely Drayton Florence of San Diego and Randall Gay of New England.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Speed rusher / OlB... cornerback... etc.... all fine...

BUT... how do you ignore J... Stewart if he's there at 16???

Because good backs can be found in all rounds of the draft--including afterward once free agents are signed. Premier pass rushers and cornerbacks? If you find a good one, it's usually within the first 45 picks.

I like Stewart, but it's possible that there are going to be a lot of solid runningbacks available in this draft.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because good backs can be found in all rounds of the draft--including afterward once free agents are signed. Premier pass rushers and cornerbacks? If you find a good one, it's usually within the first 45 picks.

I like Stewart, but it's possible that there are going to be a lot of solid runningbacks available in this draft.

Well, he could be this year's Marshawn Lynch, and I wouln't want to pass on him....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost 100 percent certain McFadden will be long gone by 14.

Peterson fell because of durability questions. McFadden has no such issues.

Then again, who'd have thought Brady Quinn would have fallen to the mid 20s?

Truth be told, I think if the Cards are looking at a HB, they've got a more realistic chance to get Jonathan Stewart of Oregon or McFadden's teammate, Felix Jones.

As for the CB void, there's a few names on the list of free agents that could come cap friendly, namesakely Drayton Florence of San Diego and Randall Gay of New England.

I am almost 100% certain too. Had to throw that out there just in case.

I agree with you.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

This List of Career Rushing Leaders doesn't support your statement. Of the top twenty four only weren't first round picks. Neither does this List of Single Season Rushing Leaders. Of the top twenty only four weren't first round picks.

This List of Career Sack Leaders has ten players that weren't first rounders. Twelve non-first rounders for the best season.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think you forget two words with field goal kicker: clutch and consistent.

Well, if range isn't an issue, then we should get 47-year old Morten Andersen. He has quietly had a very good season for the Falcons. Only one miss from 47 yards in.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, he could be this year's Marshawn Lynch, and I wouln't want to pass on him....

Maybe, but Marshawn Lynch didn't play 16 games and the Bills are going to the exact same place in the playoffs as the Cards are: the golf course. Honestly, maybe I'll fall in love with Stewart in the draft process, but I'm not going to depend on a guy that didn't play in a pro offense in college and has some durability questions. I'm really not that ready to lock in on one guy yet, and I don't think the Cards do, either.

If Stewart is the BPA, that's fantastic, and take him. But I don't think that it's an open and closed question, and I don't think that Stewart is the kind of player that teams are going to be falling all over themselves to get on draft day.

Marshawn Lynch is just 5 yards ahead of LenDale White in rushing this season. White was a second-round back. 2 of the 5 top rushers in the NFL this season were chosen after the first round. 6 of the top 16 rushers this season were chosen after the first round.

I don't think the Cards are looking for the next Eric Dickerson (I really fail to see how the Top 20 single-season rushers has a lot of relevance to this discussion, much less career leaders). I think they're looking for a guy that's an upgrade over Edgerrin James. They can get that in the latter rounds.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would throw a OLB into that pot as well.

Personally I think we need an OLB for our 3-4 more than DE, CB or RB.

I really like our current DL with Dockett, Watson, and Smith. I know there are some (this is a educated guess of a number) who don't like Antonio Smith which I cannot understand at all. He is a very good DE and a NFL quality starter at DE in a 3-4.

At OLB we have Okeafor and Pace.......thats it.

I can agree tht DE and RB are our most glaring needs. Offensive lineman is also a glaring need. If some of our assistant coaches take for other jobs, they would be most important to replace. Our biggest FA signing last season was Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm. The Cardinals need to get a pressure DE in the worst way. Okeafor and Berry are pretty much done. The Cardinals havn't had a DL record double digit sacks since Berry in 2003. I know that Suggs and Allen are not going to be aviable without a hefty price. So they are out of the picture. Who else is availbe. Is there a FA list avaible yet?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Maybe, but Marshawn Lynch didn't play 16 games and the Bills are going to the exact same place in the playoffs as the Cards are: the golf course. Honestly, maybe I'll fall in love with Stewart in the draft process, but I'm not going to depend on a guy that didn't play in a pro offense in college and has some durability questions. I'm really not that ready to lock in on one guy yet, and I don't think the Cards do, either.

If Stewart is the BPA, that's fantastic, and take him. But I don't think that it's an open and closed question, and I don't think that Stewart is the kind of player that teams are going to be falling all over themselves to get on draft day.

Marshawn Lynch is just 5 yards ahead of LenDale White in rushing this season. White was a second-round back. 2 of the 5 top rushers in the NFL this season were chosen after the first round. 6 of the top 16 rushers this season were chosen after the first round.

I don't think the Cards are looking for the next Eric Dickerson (I really fail to see how the Top 20 single-season rushers has a lot of relevance to this discussion, much less career leaders). I think they're looking for a guy that's an upgrade over Edgerrin James. They can get that in the latter rounds.

Where is the durability stuff coming from for Stewart. Not the first time I have heard it here when people talk about him.

Out of 37 games he has missed 2 and that was in 2005. Hasnt missed a game since.

White compared to Lynch. Lynch had 23 fewer carries yet still surpassed White. 4.0 YPC compared to Whites 3.7. Lynch also had 70 more receiving yards and 4 fewer fumbles lost. Lynch easily had the better season in his rookie year compared to Whites 2nd year. Bad example IMO.