Reshuffling the Cards; Part One, Defensive Needs

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There are several key factors here that must be evaluated. First the Cards must prioritize their needs. They’ve been stocking up on picks and cap space, but it’s no sure thing they can fill every need. Then they have to decide what to attack in free agency and what can wait until the draft. They have to decide how current players fit into the projected schemes not only as starters but backups for insurance. I’m going to make a series of posts to indicate how I would approach this rebuild.

While I’ve laid out that I think Gannon wants to anchor on the defense and lower what the offense must accomplish. He’d prefer the running game dominate the opposing offense, keeping the defense fresh. Ideally the passing game would be opportunistic, taking shots set up by rushing. Both units must be focused on limiting turnovers.

Starting with their needs, since Gannon is a defense first guy, I expect them to look there first. Some needs are obvious. They have to improve the pass rush. Ojulari shows promise, but doesn’t project to be an unstoppable force. The Cards need a commanding force to pressure the passer. The DL also lacks an power anchor to shutdown running games. There are some functional rotation guys, like Stills, but they lack presence in the middle. Strong is decent but worn down. Both of these DL positions are hard to fill, but it’s hard to build an effective defense without impact players at both of them. These might be the most critical spots to fill to realize the defense Gannon envisions.

At ILB the Cards have White who is solid, though vulnerable to the pass. Barnes and Woods could be lived with as backups or rotating starters, if need be, but neither is outstanding. An acquisition here looks unlikely as there are bigger needs, also a low level pickup is unlikely to be better than what the Cards have. On the outside Collins is likely to be allowed to leave. He’s versatile but limited. He just hasn’t excelled at any spot. Ojulari likely is one starter. I see Dimukeje and Gardeck as ideal backups. This could be a position to target a pass rusher. I think the Cards will likely target that role at either DE or OLB depending on available options. If the Cards want a premier weapon, they are in position to get one in the draft, where they are more affordable.

One of the most challenging areas is CB. The Cards have some potentially effective young players. Williams looks at least solid. I like Clark, but there seems to be a lower opinion in the mind of the coaching staff. Hamilton is a solid backup who should be retained. The remainder of the roster showed little development. One capable starter, preferably a vet, needs to be obtained.

The starting safeties should stay with the team. Ideally depth should be improved. BTW I expect many to disagree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
There are several key factors here that must be evaluated. First the Cards must prioritize their needs. They’ve been stocking up on picks and cap space, but it’s no sure thing they can fill every need. Then they have to decide what to attack in free agency and what can wait until the draft. They have to decide how current players fit into the projected schemes not only as starters but backups for insurance. I’m going to make a series of posts to indicate how I would approach this rebuild.

While I’ve laid out that I think Gannon wants to anchor on the defense and lower what the offense must accomplish. He’d prefer the running game dominate the opposing offense, keeping the defense fresh. Ideally the passing game would be opportunistic, taking shots set up by rushing. Both units must be focused on limiting turnovers.

Starting with their needs, since Gannon is a defense first guy, I expect them to look there first. Some needs are obvious. They have to improve the pass rush. Ojulari shows promise, but doesn’t project to be an unstoppable force. The Cards need a commanding force to pressure the passer. The DL also lacks an power anchor to shutdown running games. There are some functional rotation guys, like Stills, but they lack presence in the middle. Strong is decent but worn down. Both of these DL positions are hard to fill, but it’s hard to build an effective defense without impact players at both of them. These might be the most critical spots to fill to realize the defense Gannon envisions.

At ILB the Cards have White who is solid, though vulnerable to the pass. Barnes and Woods could be lived with as backups or rotating starters, if need be, but neither is outstanding. An acquisition here looks unlikely as there are bigger needs, also a low level pickup is unlikely to be better than what the Cards have. On the outside Collins is likely to be allowed to leave. He’s versatile but limited. He just hasn’t excelled at any spot. Ojulari likely is one starter. I see Dimukeje and Gardeck as ideal backups. This could be a position to target a pass rusher. I think the Cards will likely target that role at either DE or OLB depending on available options. If the Cards want a premier weapon, they are in position to get one in the draft, where they are more affordable.

One of the most challenging areas is CB. The Cards have some potentially effective young players. Williams looks at least solid. I like Clark, but there seems to be a lower opinion in the mind of the coaching staff. Hamilton is a solid backup who should be retained. The remainder of the roster showed little development. One capable starter, preferably a vet, needs to be obtained.

The starting safeties should stay with the team. Ideally depth should be improved. BTW I expect many to disagree with me.
I agree Harry, Jer'zon Newton is a name i can see becoming a target for the cardinals if they trade down ( or trade up )

why do you think most would disagree with you?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with 99.9% of what you’ve stated. Obtaining what you are suggesting in this post is great. However I’ll be looking forward to your thread on the offense. If that includes drafting MHJ and in addition to that a free agent wr, I’m all in.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Barnes and Woods could be lived with as backups or rotating starters, if need be, but neither is outstanding. An acquisition here looks unlikely as there are bigger needs, also a low level pickup is unlikely to be better than what the Cards have

Barnes and Woods are both pending free agents in 2024. So we'll either have to pay some nominal amount to keep them or use one of those third-round picks on a prospect. I don't have a strong opinion on that.

The Cards have some potentially effective young players.

At cornerback? Impossible to know right now, but based on current projections, they're all big factors in the league's worst pass defense. That defense has gotten worse since the benching and now release of Marco Wilson. We've had opponents wide open by 8+ yards on passing plays the past few weeks.

At this point in his career, many here considered Marco Wilson a potential steal in the draft. I think it's a bad idea investing high draft capital in the cornerback position until your pass rush is in place. All these guys would be better if we could generate a better pass rush in front of them.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
How about josh allen de jags then Marvin harrisson koolaid and ot Troy Faumato in the draft? Still need a dt tho

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@Harry I think the Cardinals should throw a ton of money at one of the IDL free agents. Send an offer they can't refuse. Also add another mid priced free agent, kind of like the Frosted Rucker or Corey Peters.

I'd probably stick with the ILBs and just draft a guy like @kerouac9 mentioned.

The Cardinals should try to add another OLB high in the draft. CB should be filled with two guys later in the draft and keep Hamilton another year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
@Harry I think the Cardinals should throw a ton of money at one of the IDL free agents. Send an offer they can't refuse. Also add another mid priced free agent, kind of like the Frosted Rucker or Corey Peters.

I'd probably stick with the ILBs and just draft a guy like @kerouac9 mentioned.

The Cardinals should try to add another OLB high in the draft. CB should be filled with two guys later in the draft and keep Hamilton another year.
It'll be interesting to see how this front office prioritizes free agency. Do you expect all of the top Edge free agents, Josh Allen (JAX) and Brian Burns (CAR), to be re-signed or franchised? Do you take a chance on the upside of young guys like DJ Wonnum (MIN) or Mike Danna (KAN). Do you try to bridge the gap with an older vet like Danielle Hunter?

Those might be the only Edge names that I'm excited about.

I know you're excited about IDL Christian Wilkins (MIA), and he's been great on Hard Knocks. He's 29. Chis Jones (KAN) is 30. Justin Madubuike (BAL) is 27. Some reclamation projects like Javon Kinlaw (SFO) will be out there. Derrick Nnadi (KAN) has played a lot of snaps for a 27 year old.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how this front office prioritizes free agency. Do you expect all of the top Edge free agents, Josh Allen (JAX) and Brian Burns (CAR), to be re-signed or franchised? Do you take a chance on the upside of young guys like DJ Wonnum (MIN) or Mike Danna (KAN). Do you try to bridge the gap with an older vet like Danielle Hunter?

I know you're excited about IDL Christian Wilkins (MIA), and he's been great on Hard Knocks. He's 29. Chis Jones (KAN) is 30. Justin Madubuike (BAL) is 27. Some reclamation projects like Javon Kinlaw (SFO) will be out there. Derrick Nnadi (KAN) has played a lot of snaps for a 27 year old.
At 29, Wilkins probably has 3-4 years of really good production left.

Madubuike probably looks the best on paper with a double digit sack season.

Id probably also go after one of those other tackles, but they probably get paid decently. Kinlaw has had a good second half of this season.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
We need to select a CB in the first or second round. We need a #1 CB. None of the CBs on the roster have proven they are capable of being a number one. We dont need a third or fourth CB. we have plenty of them.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Franchised. No Kinlaw.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how this front office prioritizes free agency.

Do we expect big name/cost free agents in 2024?

If the plan is to stick with Kyler Murray, then the answer is probably yes.

If not, we are looking at another year of rebuilding the foundation (not tanking). I can see us going up a level on FA but not making a big splash.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want one of the top IDL in FA. I also want a big NT type either in FA or the draft. CB can wait until day 3 of the draft. JG likes to play a lot of zone so a shut down corner isn't as necessary as pass rushers.

I'm OK with our ILBers, need to add one in FA or 3rd round of draft.

I like Ledbetter more than Harry, especially if he is a depth/rotation guy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We need to select a CB in the first or second round. We need a #1 CB. None of the CBs on the roster have proven they are capable of being a number one. We dont need a third or fourth CB. we have plenty of them.
Eh a better pass rush will help the back end more. I'd rather focus on the front seven first.