Cardinals' 53 Man V. 3.0 (AZ 30 OAK 23 )

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
38-Andre Ellington—showed once again that he is the wrong type of RB to be running into stacked boxes---stacked because the coach, for some odd reason believes he can run 2 TE sets and motion the WR into the box only which brings 8 defenders into the box, to then run a scat back into the pile. His only recourse is to bounce the plays, which versus teams with speed on the perimeter like the Seahawks and now that the Raiders have speedy OLBs Khalil Mack and Malcolm Smith, the odds of Ellington being able to bounce around those wide corners are slim. When Ellington is in the game, the offense should be some version of a spread---and if not he should have a FB in front of him, to take out first flash of color.

This will continue to be a problem as long as he's sending Ellington between the tackles on 1st down. We're continuously dealing with 2nd and 9, 2nd and 10 - when we should be looking at 2nd and 6 or 7. That makes a big difference when you're starting every drive that way. Sometimes Palmer can overcome it. Last night, he couldn't.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yes that's the point I was making. Sims is better, the question is does BA think Thomas actually CAN be an NFL QB and if so, is he willing to gamble on his future assuming he won't need his #3 QB this year?

Given the OL struggles and what happened last year, is Arians confident in keeping the guy with more "upside" over the guy who appears to be way more ready to play if needed.

That question is already answered....it was answered last season when BA sat Thomas,...who obviously has more "Potential".. and signed Lindley,.. who knew the system better but has far less ability

For BA, knowledge of his system and the ability to throw the deep ball are the two most important factors........Thomas edges out Sims in both categories.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
For BA, knowledge of his system and the ability to throw the deep ball are the two most important factors........Thomas edges out Sims in both categories.

Are we sure about that? Have we seen JT attempt a long ball in a game yet?

Personally I don't like either as a developmental QB

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Disagree. It is the WRs job to get to the spot. Kurt Warner made the HOF throwing timing routes into spots. Palmer has completed passes exactly like that also this preseason.

Yes, but why do teams press WRs at the l-o-s and play inside leverage? We are talking about a rookie here who is learning the ropes. So, if he doesn't get to the spot, you throw it anyway?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but why do teams press WRs at the l-o-s and play inside leverage? We are talking about a rookie here who is learning the ropes. So, if he doesn't get to the spot, you throw it anyway?

When that is the call, then yes. Seeing as Nelson isn't adept at beating press coverage, then we should avoid calling those types of routes for him in the regular season until he proves he can be trusted. Also, if called, Palmer must not see him as the #1 option on the play.

Fortunately it was a preseason play and can be learned from. Hopefully we won't see something in the regular season much like it.

Buckybird

Reaction score

And a smaller WR at that who might struggle with that coverage. As you say he's learning & that ball shouldn't have been thrown & until fire proves he can beat that Carson needs to proceed with caution. There's a reason teams want bigger WRs

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
And a smaller WR at that who might struggle with that coverage. As you say he's learning & that ball shouldn't have been thrown & until fire proves he can beat that Carson needs to proceed with caution. There's a reason teams want bigger WRs

Or you run him in motion to make it easier to escape press coverage.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I noticed that also...Powers was on Cooper like his jersey,...whereas, PP21 was trailing along three or four yards behind just as he always seems to do...

I noticed PP was no longer shadowing, but covering a side of the field instead........... dude needs to get his head out of his ass and play like he is supposed to be capable of playing..
there have been tons of excuses for him from the staff the past couple years....but from a fans perspective he has been a massive disappointment.
He needs to have a bounce back year, but even with the below average performance in a couple of games last yr. he is still the best CB on this team. He had a good game facing Calvin Johnson pretty much the whole game like he does with most of the elite recievers In the regular season. Hopefully his issues with the blood sugar is solved with the proper medications.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Was I the only one who heard what Cris Collinsworth said about Sims last night? If he is not on the 53, he is gone.

d b

I heard that....and my first thought was that he must be confusing sims with Thomas...he kept talking about how he is this BIG strong guy, and how last week he was just throwing laser passes......... Sims is an NFL dwarf,... I like his hustle but he also does not throw lasers

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

But with the current rules in favor of the offense, this is the golden era for midget WRs lol

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, I know've differed on whether Kerwyn Williams or Stephan Taylor makes the team. And unless CJ2K plays lights out on Thursday, I think we might both be right. For this reason/reasons:
*Williams is the better RB and will probably be our KR.
*Taylor is better in pass pro, which is now a HOT TICKET ITEM, after the OL's performance, against Oakland. And also, a better receiver. But most importantly, I can't see BA guting Amos Jones' ST's. With Alexander cut, Jones will want to keep Taylor. And the answer is, CJ2K won't be wearing red, this year.

Do you agree?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I know've differed on whether Kerwyn Williams or Stephan Taylor makes the team. And unless CJ2K plays lights out on Thursday, I think we might both be right. For this reason/reasons:
*Williams is the better RB and will probably be our KR.
*Taylor is better in pass pro, which is now a HOT TICKET ITEM, after the OL's performance, against Oakland. And also, a better receiver. But most importantly, I can't see BA guting Amos Jones' ST's. With Alexander cut, Jones will want to keep Taylor. And the answer is, CJ2K won't be wearing red, this year.

Do you agree?

I think having Chris Johnson and his speed is too enticing, Garth. Was wondering too yesterday whether Fred Jackson would be a player that BA&SK would want to add. Might be a long shot, but who knows?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, what do you make of the TE situation? Gresham is NOT making the trip to Denver, and Niklas is hurt. Fells and Moomah look like the starters, with Christian the only (??) healthy backup. Is it safe to say that either/both Gresham or Niklas won't make the team, or both will and are only being held out and that they'll be ready for the opener?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I watched the replay and thought Riddick looked very good. I'd be very surprised if he's not on the team. He had good burst and quickness. Add that to his size and probably not being 100%, you don't let that type of player go. That's why I believe Alexander was cut.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I watched the replay and thought Riddick looked very good. I'd be very surprised if he's not on the team. He had good burst and quickness. Add that to his size and probably not being 100%, you don't let that type of player go. That's why I believe Alexander was cut.

Tge Redbirds defanately don't have anyone on the roster with speed off the edge other than Alex & we know what school he's from :D

Buckybird

Reaction score
There you go with the Texas reference. :cheers:

I had to get a good one in John before dem Horns get spanked Sat by the Irish & a another longgggg disasterous season!!! :p

I'm praying Coach Graham gets to return home & lead them back to winning lol

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I had to get a good one in John before dem Horns get spanked Sat by the Irish & a another longgggg disasterous season!!! :p

I'm praying Coach Graham gets to return home & lead them back to winning lol

Good luck to the Horns. The one team Missouri could never beat for some reason.

Missouri starts out with some cupcakes in Southest Missouri St and Arkansas State. Then UCONN before they start the SEC schedule. Will be surprised if they finish .500 or better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson