Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You act like we signed nobody last offseason. It's a completely bogus argument.

Kyzir White is going to be starting ILB and was good before injury. Froholdt has been good and will almost certainly be next years starter. Carlos Watkins was a decent DT before injury. Krys Barnes has been better than Simmons at LB.

So we don't have to sign 2 offseasons worth of players in 1.

And again, the question that always goes unanswered. Who do you think we should have signed, and why would they have signed with us with a QB with a major injury?

I'll give you Froholdt and kind of Kyzir White. But Carlos Watkins played 43 snaps of entirely unremarkable football, and White and Krys Barnes were major players on the worst defense in football.

Signing two good free agents who were of extremely low value in the market is as close to "signing nobody" as it gets in the NFL.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'll give you Froholdt and kind of Kyzir White. But Carlos Watkins played 43 snaps of entirely unremarkable football, and White and Krys Barnes were major players on the worst defense in football.

Signing two good free agents who were of extremely low value in the market is as close to "signing nobody" as it gets in the NFL.
Yeah - if you want a real example of a team making an effort to sign real vets in the offseason, you only need to look at the team who we THOUGHT was going to give us a surefire top 10 pick!

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Kyler had a good 2nd half on Sunday. I also think people are putting too much stock into a 2nd half performance against a team that lost 3 of 4 previously and who's defense has sucked.

He's been bad for several games and one half of decent QB play and were saved. I need to see a whole lot more of that before I change my mind.
Kyler was money on Sunday, period!

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
I would feel alot worse about Kyler Murray if he hadn't Beat Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson ( When he was good ), Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, and an A,J Green drop away from beating Aaron Rodgers.
I'm not sold on this whole thing yet but if the Cards get rid of a good player and draft a bust...
It would be such a Cardinals thing to do..

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Again, it's a completely bogus argument.

Who, of any note, is signing with the team who's QB is 2 months out of ACL surgery? Say you're Dalvin Tomlinson and you have the Brown's and 5 other teams interested. Or your Marcus Davenport and you have the Vikings and 3 other teams interested. Insert your player of choice here.

Why, other than early onset CTE, are you signing for the Cardinals with their crook QB?

The Bengals had something similar in the offseason Burrow was hurt, even though that was already a trending up team. They managed to snag Trey Hendrickson but at the the time many said they overpaid to get him and he was a one season wonder playing in a great Saints defense. Bengals fans themselves hated the deal and said they should have kept Carl Lawson. Other than that they signed a bunch of 1 year rentals.

The whole "We should have done more in the offseason" argument is fantasy considering the situation.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Again, it's a completely bogus argument.

Who, of any note, is signing with the team who's QB is 2 months out of ACL surgery? Say you're Dalvin Tomlinson and you have the Brown's and 5 other teams interested. Or your Marcus Davenport and you have the Vikings and 3 other teams interested. Insert your player of choice here.

Why, other than early onset CTE, are you signing for the Cardinals with their crook QB?

The Bengals had something similar in the offseason Burrow was hurt, even though that was already a trending up team. They managed to snag Trey Hendrickson but at the the time many said they overpaid to get him and he was a one season wonder playing in a great Saints defense. Bengals fans themselves hated the deal and said they should have kept Carl Lawson. Other than that they signed a bunch of 1 year rentals.

The whole "We should have done more in the offseason" argument is fantasy considering the situation.
Money talks.

Also, you solidly undermined your point with Hendrickson.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a very good second half but to say he was money all game is bogus.
I’ve been bashing Kyler as much as anyone. I watched the game over again. Other than the pick 6 which seems to be a “we messed up” moment. Kyler play very good the whole game.
He fell one time trying to escape the pocket but is wasn’t a fetal fall down.
He threw a wr screen to Moore that was dropped and looked totally discombobulated but it wasn’t. Moore dropped the pass which was perfectly set up. Beautifully blocked. Moore might still be running if he caught the ball.
I have said many times we need to take the game off of Murray’s shoulders. There are times Murray is capable of putting the team on his back but it can’t be the game plan as it was with Kingsbury.
The big question is what we saw Sunday a sign of things to come or a mirage? I can understand anyone’s doubt.
But for one day I give Kyler an “A” for his performance Sunday. It doesn’t make me delusional to believe all the questions can be put to rest.
If anybody is going to rip a player for his play then they should give credit when it’s due.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’ve been bashing Kyler as much as anyone. I watched the game over again. Other than the pick 6 which seems to be a “we messed up” moment. Kyler play very good the whole game.
He fell one time trying to escape the pocket but is wasn’t a fetal fall down.
He threw a wr screen to Moore that was dropped and looked totally discombobulated but it wasn’t. Moore dropped the pass which was perfectly set up. Beautifully blocked. Moore might still be running if he caught the ball.
I have said many times we need to take the game off of Murray’s shoulders. There are times Murray is capable of putting the team on his back but it can’t be the game plan as it was with Kingsbury.
The big question is what we saw Sunday a sign of things to come or a mirage? I can understand anyone’s doubt.
But for one day I give Kyler an “A” for his performance Sunday. It doesn’t make me delusional to believe all the questions can be put to rest.
If anybody is going to rip a player for his play then they should give credit when it’s due.
agree. It sure would go a long way to see him replicate the performance this week...even a little consistency would make the off season easier.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler record against NFC West teams in 5 years: 5 wins, 17 losses.

We really need Kyler to figure out how not to be atrocious against the Rams especially.

If they lose to the Seahawks Sunday, they finish 0-6 in division. Has that happened before?

the really good Kyler needs to show up in the most important divisional games or nothing else really matters.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What if Kyler passes for over 300 yards and has 3 TD's vs Philly?

:grabs:

Pretty close and we are all feeling good/better about Kyler right now.

FWIW - I hope Kyler comes out and plays just like the 2nd half for the whole Seattle game.

But what if he has a terrible game/reverts back to the "bad Kyler".

How are we feeling then?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FWIW - I hope Kyler comes out and plays just like the 2nd half for the whole Seattle game.

How are we feeling then?
We need to see consistency from him

Not just short spurts

I've been questioning him all year, but the second half of last game showed some real growth

Hopefully it continues

If not then the "?" comes out again

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How are we feeling then?
It doesn't matter how "we" feel. Of course, most of the board will go immediately back to where it was before the 2nd half in Philly.

What will be, and has been, evaluated by the team is the whole. And, a lot of that off the field stuff we don't even see. Earlier in the thread, someone showed a compilation of Kyler's numbers projected over a season. And, the team record. Which, for THIS team, were pretty gaudy. So, even if Seattle is a bust, and Seattle at home always seems to be a bust, that is still how they will evaluate it. IMO.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It's interesting how expectations for Murray started out as Franchise QB, QBOTF, Top 5 QB when he was first drafted and early in his career (and just so we're clear, Franchise QB, QBOTF, Top 5 QB means to me a QB who can carry a team and elevate players around him) to hopefully he can be a good game manager, he needs good to really good talent around him to succeed, if he can just play at a competent level he will be okay at this stage in his career.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler record against NFC West teams in 5 years: 5 wins, 17 losses.

We really need Kyler to figure out how not to be atrocious against the Rams especially.

If they lose to the Seahawks Sunday, they finish 0-6 in division. Has that happened before?

the really good Kyler needs to show up in the most important divisional games or nothing else really matters.
The Rams have a blueprint how to contain Kyler with a great scheme. Our staff has to unscheme their scheme.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The Cards have never gone 0-6 in the NFC West. Kind of crazy.

It's interesting how expectations for Murray started out as Franchise QB, QBOTF, Top 5 QB when he was first drafted and early in his career (and just so we're clear, Franchise QB, QBOTF, Top 5 QB means to me a QB who can carry a team and elevate players around him) to hopefully he can be a good game manager, he needs good to really good talent around him to succeed, if he can just play at a competent level he will be okay at this stage in his career.

It's interesting, but I don't know. It's just as hope drains away, cope fills in.

It's a high-dollar version of the Justin Fields question (and an argument I was making last year with Kliff v Kyler). Put the salary to the side for now. Hard to see Kyler being the best QB in the NFL in this offense -- it's not really built to promote QB excellence. But it can probably succeed in being a top 10 unit with solidly above-average QB play. I think Kyler can consistently be an average to above-average quarterback. So, if you have a chance to upgrade to a special QB, but the downside is a below-average QB and you don't get to improve other areas of the roster, why take that chance?

You'd love to be in the situation the Rams were in with Goff. The ceiling was going to the Super Bowl, but the QB probably didn't have the juice to get you over the top (this is also where the Lions are now probably). Then you risk it all to get to the promised land. I don't think we're there yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard