Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It’s only wasting money if you brought in a bad player. That’s a risk that has zero to do with it being last offseason. Same risk exists today. Except if monti does bring in a bad player this year he doesn’t have the knowledge that he has to fix a position - which he would have if he made the mistake last offseason - further delaying our growth as a team.
OK. That's the first thing I have heard that has made any sense at all. Still, we would have been wasting a year's pay when we didn't have to. Just saying. :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still don't see anyone we could have signed that would have moved the needle for us this season in wins and losses. Again, I think we are being prudent building through the draft and we have a TON of draft capital. How do we know who we are even drafting yet? Why would I sign a free agent last season, only to draft his replacement in this draft? Especially after knowing how I set ups this year's draft?

Yes, we could have gone out and spent a ton in free agency. I don't think with Kyler out it would have moved the needle any. It would have been a warm and fuzzy. We still have those dollars available. Those dollars didn't go away. I am just not seeing how not signing guys last season will affect this season. Maybe I am just not understanding how we handicapped ourselves? If anything, any amount we spent last season would limit what we spend this season, would it not? :shrug:
It’s not about the impact they would have made this season. It’s about the impact they would make next and beyond.

And if we signed a good long term free agent last season guess what that does with this draft? It actually frees monti up to fill a different hole, or even better, upgrade a position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OK. That's the first thing I have heard that has made any sense at all. Still, we would have been wasting a year's pay when we didn't have to. Just saying. :)
Not my money or yours. Teams waste massive amounts of money every year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve gotten into some dumb debates over the years, and this place can turn upside down at times. But I wanted everyone to know I appreciate the cards board. I appreciate most of you for your contribution to our cardinals community. And I want to wish all of you the best 2024 as you each define. May we all find a .500 or better cardinals team in the coming year!

HAPPY NEW YEARS

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not my money or yours. Teams waste massive amounts of money every year.
There is an opportunity cost in signing guys last season, makes less money available this season, when we do or should have a better handle on our needs.

I am saying this in the most favorable way. I think Stout is worrying too much about us not signing guys last season. If this happens again this year, we can argue it's a trend. I just think last year was an anomaly all the way around. New regime, franchise QB is down, and you don't even know what you are doing at that most important spot, let alone everyone else down the line.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There is an opportunity cost in signing guys last season, makes less money available this season, when we do or should have a better handle on our needs.
There is that. I would’ve listed center as a need last offseason and thrown more money/draft pick at it. And Fro has proven that spot is in relatively good hands if not pro bowl hands.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There is that. I would’ve listed center as a need last offseason and thrown more money/draft pick at it. And Fro has proven that spot is in relatively good hands if not pro bowl hands.
Yeah, I agree on Center. I looked at the top rated guys in this draft and it's not good. I would hope we do go free agency if someone is available that's worth it. Maybe trade. That position does worry me.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have short memories. When we look back at the start of the season this is roster was a wreck.
Guys like Fro and White were brought in that were a desperate need. They were safe additions. We already had guys on the roster( like Collins, Wilson, etc.) that had to be given a chance to see if and where they might fit.
The draft added players that either starting or playing an increasing role headlining into 2024.
Swain and Higgins appears to give us a solid TE room.
We added a pretty good punter.
We let Allen walk and found a guy like Stills.
Could we have done more in free agency last year? The answer is probably yes. But with the evaluation that needed to be done, the cap, a new staff, understand why we did what we did.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We have short memories. When we look back at the start of the season this is roster was a wreck.
Guys like Fro and White were brought in that were a desperate need. They were safe additions. We already had guys on the roster( like Collins, Wilson, etc.) that had to be given a chance to see if and where they might fit.
The draft added players that either starting or playing an increasing role headlining into 2024.
Swain and Higgins appears to give us a solid TE room.
We added a pretty good punter.
We let Allen walk and found a guy like Stills.
Could we have done more in free agency last year? The answer is probably yes. But with the evaluation that needed to be done, the cap, a new staff, understand why we did what we did.
Great recap!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I still don't see anyone we could have signed that would have moved the needle for us this season in wins and losses. Again, I think we are being prudent building through the draft and we have a TON of draft capital. How do we know who we are even drafting yet? Why would I sign a free agent last season, only to draft his replacement in this draft? Especially after knowing how I set ups this year's draft?

Yes, we could have gone out and spent a ton in free agency. I don't think with Kyler out it would have moved the needle any. It would have been a warm and fuzzy. We still have those dollars available. Those dollars didn't go away. I am just not seeing how not signing guys last season will affect this season. Maybe I am just not understanding how we handicapped ourselves? If anything, any amount we spent last season would limit what we spend this season, would it not? :shrug:
I didn't say we should have spent a ton and it has nothing to do with this season. We are allowed to sign players to long-tern deals in FA.

Reactions: PJ1

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I didn't say we should have spent a ton and it has nothing to do with this season. We are allowed to sign players to long-tern deals in FA.
Cool! You just seemed highly exasperated we didn't sign more guys. @slanidrac16 has a good recap.

Stout

Reaction score
Cool! You just seemed highly exasperated we didn't sign more guys. @slanidrac16 has a good recap.
I am. Two or three mid or lower level guys to longer deals would have meant a few less roster holes moving into next year, and would have helped us compete in 2024. I don't believe we'll be in the playoffs in 2024 because of this (and letting other FAs walk--a different discussion)--which means even the 2-year deals didn't get us to competing.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am. Two or three mid or lower level guys to longer deals would have meant a few less roster holes moving into next year, and would have helped us compete in 2024. I don't believe we'll be in the playoffs in 2024 because of this (and letting other FAs walk--a different discussion)--which means even the 2-year deals didn't get us to competing.
Idk. Never say never on these fast turn arounds in the NFL. Seems to be in vogue for teams making massive moves in just a couple seasons. Plus the SOS next season should be better for the Cards. Aside from free agency, I do think they are laying a good foundation, FINALLY. Keim just wasn't getting us there. I want to see how MO does for a couple seasons before throwing him out. I feel in this case the unknown was better than the old known we had.

Stout

Reaction score
Idk. Never say never on these fast turn arounds in the NFL. Seems to be in vogue for teams making massive moves in just a couple seasons. Plus the SOS next season should be better for the Cards. Aside from free agency, I do think they are laying a good foundation, FINALLY. Keim just wasn't getting us there. I want to see how MO does for a couple seasons before throwing him out. I feel in this case the unknown was better than the old known we had.
Nobody's ready to throw Monti out. I'm just upset that, amongst other mistakes, I feel he cost us competing next year by plodding in his first offseason.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison