Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with about every part of this.

Now, for the first time in quite a while, it doesn't "all come down to how good your QB is." Gardner Minshew, Mr. Irrelevant 2022, Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield, and Joe Freaking Flacco are all starting playoff games if the season ended today.

The 2021 team was loaded. What a bizarre retcon this is. We were 11th in points scored and points allowed. We had two pro bowlers on offense and defense. Byron Murphy had 12 passes defensed and four picks. Budda Baker had three INTs. We had two double-digit sack guys in Golden and Chandler Jones. The offensive weapons on that team included Hop, Christian Kirk, A.J. Green, and Zach Ertz.

Nice Cherry picking.

Gardner Minshew is a former starting QB, he's not even on a particularly great roster that's carrying him! They were 2-2 when he took over and 6-5 since.

Brock Purdy is a great QB that every team whiffed on. Like Tom Brady. I would swap Purdy for Kyler in a NY minute.

Geno Smith has played well and is under an all time great HC.

Baker Mayfield is 8-7 and just happens to be an an ass division.

The flip side of this is the Jets. A team everyone had down as SB contenders that might pick top 5 because they lost their QB.

The Falcons were pre season darlings and Arthur Smith was favorite for HC of the year, and have struggled because of QB play.

The Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Giants and Vikings have all underperformed their rosters due to QB play.

There's no single rule, it's some of both, but it's far more QB. QB is like 70% of the equation. A great QB will elevate average players and there is a long list of examples of this in the league.

Whereas you can have all the stars you like but if your QB is ass then you got nothing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's short.

Small.

Doesn't have a big time arm.

Isn't fast.

It's a factual statement. He was literally taken with a pick that you never find a good player at.

Can't agree with this.

Purdy is a great player and has shown far more moments of great QB play than Kyler has in less time.

Where he was picked has nothing to do with it.

Purdy leads the league in,

Passing TDS
TD%
Yards per Attempt
ANY/A
Passer Rating
Wins
QBR
EPA/Play

He's a great QB and only just turned 24.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice Cherry picking.

Gardner Minshew is a former starting QB, he's not even on a particularly great roster that's carrying him! They were 2-2 when he took over and 6-5 since.

Brock Purdy is a great QB that every team whiffed on. Like Tom Brady. I would swap Purdy for Kyler in a NY minute.

Geno Smith has played well and is under an all time great HC.

Baker Mayfield is 8-7 and just happens to be an an ass division.

The flip side of this is the Jets. A team everyone had down as SB contenders that might pick top 5 because they lost their QB.

The Falcons were pre season darlings and Arthur Smith was favorite for HC of the year, and have struggled because of QB play.

The Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Giants and Vikings have all underperformed their rosters due to QB play.

There's no single rule, it's some of both, but it's far more QB. QB is like 70% of the equation. A great QB will elevate average players and there is a long list of examples of this in the league.

Whereas you can have all the stars you like but if your QB is ass then you got nothing.

TRUE... but imagine PURDY without McCaffrey, Aiyuk, Samuel, Kittle, a solid O-line and defence and then imagine KM with those tools.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maye has the size, but can he read defenses?
Look how long KM has been in the league and it's the same question about him

Any QB that doesn't learn to read a defense is not long for this league

Doesn't matter how much talent they have

Playground antics only carry you so far until DC's get your number

Then it's up to the QB to do everything they can to learn to read a defense or fail

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Can't agree with this.

Purdy is a great player and has shown far more moments of great QB play than Kyler has in less time.

Where he was picked has nothing to do with it.

Purdy leads the league in,

Passing TDS
TD%
Yards per Attempt
ANY/A
Passer Rating
Wins
QBR
EPA/Play

He's a great QB and only just turned 24.
If you don't think quite a few NFL QBs couldn't replicate or exceed his numbers, I don't know what to tell you. Mahomes would shatter all of his numbers with the same team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And? As Slad said, no FA is making a difference to this year so why not just sign them next offseason and save a year of wasted money that can be rolled over?

We had this conversation before. Which good, young promising players are signing for a team with a QB 2 months into an ACL repair? Anyone that fits that description has several options to sign with so why would you chose the team with the lame QB and an almost certain losing season coming up?
Hmm different pools of players. Maybe shopping in both periods gives you bigger selection and the ability to sign more players you value. And maybe a year of experience in these coaches systems has more on the field value than the money you saved in the owners wallet.

Which good, young promising players are signing for a team with a QB that hasn’t looked good in two seasons, ignores his receivers, and a team that’s decrepit two seasons in a row with few legit nfl players because monti passed in signing impact players last season? Anyone that fits that description has several options to sign with so why would you chose the team with the bad QB and an almost certain losing season coming up?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hilarious.

You just said I was exaggerating and then compared him to a top five QB all time.
I just used the measurables you were using to make your argument.

Btw, montana had just as great tools. Fantastic oline, best receiver of all time, John Taylor, Brent jones, Craig/waters, rathman. Good defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you don't think quite a few NFL QBs couldn't replicate or exceed his numbers, I don't know what to tell you. Mahomes would shatter all of his numbers with the same team.
Right? That mahomes guy is a totally average QB. Great guy to use as a benchmark when trying to argue Purdy is average.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure... we become better with a timing QB surrounded by wideouts who can't get to their marks, and SF suffers with a QB who adds a running dimension to their game. :shrug:
I mean sure we’ve been hearing that our wideouts are open. God forbid we hit them in stride.

And it’s tough for a finely tuned timing offense like niners to excel with a QB who wouldn’t know timing if confined to a room full of clocks and watches.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure... we become better with a timing QB surrounded by wideouts who can't get to their marks, and SF suffers with a QB who adds a running dimension to their game. :shrug:
I mean, how awful would it be if our receivers didn’t have to adjust to terribly underthrown deep routes. We wouldn’t know what to do with those touchdowns.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I just used the measurables you were using to make your argument.

Btw, montana had just as great tools. Fantastic oline, best receiver of all time, John Taylor, Brent jones, Craig/waters, rathman. Good defense.
And he proved it over years and years of winning championships.

Purdys first shot and he got KTFO of the playoffs literally and figuratively.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I mean sure we’ve been hearing that our wideouts are open. God forbid we hit them in stride.

And it’s tough for a finely tuned timing offense like niners to excel with a QB who wouldn’t know timing if confined to a room full of clocks and watches.

From whom?

Sounds like one of those 'Everybody says...' opening statements that we are supposed to accept uncritically.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, how awful would it be if our receivers didn’t have to adjust to terribly underthrown deep routes. We wouldn’t know what to do with those touchdowns.
Purdy would be worse because he is mostly throwing to insanely wide open receivers. Purdy would struggle with how little separation the Cardinals receivers get.

It's the same with the McVay offense. Purdy isn't even coming close to Stafford's 2021 numbers because he isn't even close to as good as Stafford is, even though Purdy has a better supporting cast than Stafford did.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison