What playing position with be the Cardinals' first pick, call it now

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm thinking another DL/DT/DE. I think that we feel like we have the pass rushers to compete in the short and long-term (I think the staff still loves Okafor and he'll have this season to prove him right).

IMO, Keim cut his teeth in the NFL in convincing the team to draft Calais Campbell when they had two solid starters in place with Antonio Smith and Darnell Dockett. This is the opportunity to do the same thing again. DTs are a rare commodity in the NFL, and the best ones tend to be high picks. They're also a risky position, and Keim hasn't shown a willingness to take a risk on a high-ceiling, low-floor prospect in the early rounds.

This hasn't prevented the bottom from falling out on prospects like Troy Niklas, D.J. Humphries (through one year) and Jonathan Cooper, but that wasn't the view at the time.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
At the Combine both BA & SK listed their wants as S, tall CB and QB...which could be the order they have in mind, or maybe it was just a coincidence.

Could their plans be be something like this?

1. S Keanu Neal, Florida.
2. CB Deiondre' Hall, Northern Iowa.
3. QB Jeff Driskel, Louisiana Tech.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They will either go OL(for the 3rd time in 4 years) or DB(for the 2nd time in 3 years). I believe this is how they'll go whether or not they trade down.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They will either go OL(for the 3rd time in 4 years) or DB(for the 2nd time in 3 years). I believe this is how they'll go whether or not they trade down.

I don't really have a problem with either of these, but I think they stick with Bethel at CB. Maybe they draft a safety in the first, but I think they go DT.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the Combine both BA & SK listed their wants as S, tall CB and QB...which could be the order they have in mind, or maybe it was just a coincidence.

Yes is very possible but about the qb
I think they like cardale jones..he doesnt have enough experience but he started 11 games and won 11..he was the 3rd string qb but when he got a shot he beat Wisconsin and he made play after play..Showing leadership after 2 quarters
This guy has some mental toughness something is not easy to find...Plus he fit the mold of arians preference of qb.
Then he doesnt stare on just 1 receiver but he sees other options. not afraid of taking hit ...he remind me Rothlisberger

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

That pretty much ensures we go

DT

C

RB

with our first three picks

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Maybe so Mitch, it sure seems in the past that they often let the cat out of the bag on their draft intentions thru the media.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Whatever we do, let's not draft another 'redshirt' 1st-rounder--be it a true redshirt, or a retroactive one. We're in win now mode, and cannot afford to do this.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What playing position with be the Cardinals' first pick, call it now

Someone please fix this title!

I'm far from a spelling-grammar-typing expert/Nazi.

But if it's bugging ME... BIM™ is possibly kicking helpless kittens!

Save the kittens!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever we do, let's not draft another 'redshirt' 1st-rounder--be it a true redshirt, or a retroactive one. We're in win now mode, and cannot afford to do this.

Unless it's Paxton Lynch, I agree.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think it depends on who is there at the time. The obvious choice is C Ryan Kelly, but if a pass rusher they like falls I have to think we would go pass rusher whether he is a LB or a DL. There is simply no way we draft a safety first. The only thing that could be worse is if we spent our first rounder on a kicker.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If we continue to nail the third round, I could give a rat's butt if we get another red shirt 1st rounder.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aside from the 'bit shorter than ideal' issue, doesn't anyone else think we should just start Mathieu at CB? Let Branch, Jefferson, and Swearinger be the safeties. Powers or Bethel or whoever can be the nickel guy. Put your best playmakers on the field. That would also let you draft a bunch of centers and D Linemen in the draft.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Aside from the 'bit shorter than ideal' issue, doesn't anyone else think we should just start Mathieu at CB? Let Branch, Jefferson, and Swearinger be the safeties. Powers or Bethel or whoever can be the nickel guy. Put your best playmakers on the field. That would also let you draft a bunch of centers and D Linemen in the draft.

Powers is a FA & likely gone
Badger likely will miss 1/2 the season or more
The rest of the CBs where on the PS & have little to no experience.

You have to be very careful playing 3 safeties on the field in nickle IMO. The Cards have a potential serious issue covering guys in the secondary this upcoming season.

Basically 3 of the 4 starters are gone

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm going with center. The right side of the Cardinals will have new starters in 2016.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
BPA regardless of need should be DL.

If they factor in need it will be a C, or CB.

But Powers holding out to sign back up could change that.

So, DL.:D