Draft pick scenario

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@Devilmaycare, I don’t want to take over your points from the other thread (https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/if-mhj-is-gone-what-now.542946/post-5291343), but it inspired me to make this one, and I hope it is okay if I set it up in (in my opinion) a more manageable way? At least it makes it a bit easier for myself.

It is likely that I have forgotten something, so if anyone has something to add, please do so, and I will update this post with the information.

Things that could affect the draft pick:

Cardinals need to lose.

Patriots beat the Jets in New England.

The Jets are coming off an absolutely horrible display in the last game and might simply have given up on the season. For starters, they cannot figure out who their quarterback should be. Further, it could very well be Belichicks last game as a Patriots-coach, and I am going to assume that he dreams of going out on a positive.

Washington beats Dallas.

This one doesn’t seem likely, to be honest. Dallas has a division title to play for, while Washington has nothing. Sure, they would undoubtedly like to play spoilers to the Cowboys and are probably also focused on giving Ron Rivera a good game to end with (he is almost surely out as HC), but I simply don’t think they are good enough.

Giants beats the Eagles.

To me, it is much of the same as with the Commanders-Cowboys. The Eagles are playing for a division title and are simply a better team than the Giants. New York’s season is over, and they have lost three in a row. I guess we can always hope that Philly’s poor form continues, and that the Giants want to end the season with a bang, but I must admit that I doubt it.

Chargers beating Kansas City.

The Chiefs are locked into the #3 seed in the AFC playoff, and thus they will rest Patrick Mahomes in this game. In addition, they will rest several other starters as well. The Chargers don’t have anything directly to play for, but we are allowed to hope that all the players want to show the next coaching staff that they can rely on them. An audition, of you will.

Titans beat Jaguars.

Trevor Lawrence is questionable to play for the Jaguars. The Titans can end Jacksonville’s season.

To sum up, it would favor the Cardinals to have these teams win:

Washington Commanders (vs. Cowboys),

New England Patriots (vs. Jets),

New York Giants (vs. Eagles),

L.A. Chargers (vs. Chiefs),

Tennessee Titans (vs. Jaguars).

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work.
I just can’t root to lose. I know come April Sundays outcome will matter much more than it will this weekend.

What I’d love to see is Kyler to have a game like last week but lose the game on a blown call by the refs, lol.
There would certainly a real satisfaction to knock out bubble gum boy from the playoffs.

Let the chips fall where they may. We are going to get a real good player
(or 5) in this draft. Let destiny play itself out.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if your first three bullets happen, none of the rest matters

Cards would draft at #2

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Nice work.
I just can’t root to lose. I know come April Sundays outcome will matter much more than it will this weekend.

What I’d love to see is Kyler to have a game like last week but lose the game on a blown call by the refs, lol.
There would certainly a real satisfaction to knock out bubble gum boy from the playoffs.

Let the chips fall where they may. We are going to get a real good player
(or 5) in this draft. Let destiny play itself out.

If you told me one option would be a soul crushing (to SEA) 48-0 Cardinals victory, one that would echo into 2024, I might choose that.

There's some kind of calculus involved here, although I can't properly articulate it.

Does a win vs. SEA Sunday demonstrate that, to compete for a championship, we don't need the talent lost by going from #4 to #7?

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you told me one option would be a soul crushing (to SEA) 48-0 Cardinals victory, one that would echo into 2024, I might choose that.

Theres some kind of calculus involved here, although I can't properly articulate it.

Does a win vs. SEA Sunday demonstrate that, to compete for a championship, we don't need the talent lost by going from #4 to #7?
It absolutely doesn’t but when the game begins I can’t root for them to lose. However, when the game is over a loss feels much better than usual if our pick is preserved.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
ideally for the long term -- its a close loss in a high scoring game 31-30 where Kyler plays really well, but the defense cant stop SEA

but even with a win -- lowest they draft is #7.

at that spot -- if two QBs go in the top 7 -- one of Alt, Fash, Nabers, Odunze will be there for the Cards. Two if someone pulls the trigger on Brock Bowers before that.

its not the worst thing

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Absolutely want Jax to beat Tennessee. Improves Tenn 3rd round pick which we own. Why do you want Tenn to win?

Reactions: PJ1

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I just looked at Tankathon for the current draft order and it appears to me that if the Titans, Giants and Chargers all lose this weekend and the Cardinals win the Cardinals would drop to the 7th pick due to SOS as we all would have the same win/loss record. Everyone would be 5-12 but the Cardinals have a higher SOS.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
mmmmmm... nah man,,,

this may well be coach Pete's last game ever in the NFL... we cannot have it looking like he chose to leave... we have to THROW HIS HAPPY ASS OUT!!!
STOMP the poo out of him so badly nobody ever wants to coach the seahags again.

we cant let that old bastard have a warm fuzzy feeling about his final season in the nfl...we need to beat him so bad that he dies bitter and cold,...so that every family function he has the rest of his life is marred by the bitterness, disdain, and misery this final game caused him.

Little kids have written the Make a wish foundation that their wish is to attend a seahawks playoff game.

sorry skippy, maybe in your next life...

destroy, demoralize, decimate the seahawks!!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think the Texans play the Colts -- winner goes to the playoffs. So we are most definitely Colts fans this week

the Titans play the Jags --
Yes, you are right. Changed now in the first post. :) Thank you.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely want Jax to beat Tennessee. Improves Tenn 3rd round pick which we own. Why do you want Tenn to win?
It is in case the Cardinals win. If they do that, then they would be on equal record with Tennessee, and would pick below them due to strength of schedule. If the Titans win, that potential problem is gone.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's some kind of calculus involved here, although I can't properly articulate it.

Apparently that’s what most are lamenting about.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It is in case the Cardinals win. If they do that, then they would be on equal record with Tennessee, and would pick below them due to strength of schedule. If the Titans win, that potential problem is gone.
Gotcha.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Here's where I'm at. If the Pats or Commanders win, I want the Cards to lose. If they both lose, I want the Cards to win. I'm just all in on Harrison. If they don't get him, I don't really care who they get and to get him, they'll need to be drafting 3-4 at worst. And, I think 4 is a stretch because Chicago is going to trade to 2 or, more likely 3, and take him.