Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of a top 6 paid medicore QB and get a bridge/veteran QB?
No because of the financial ramifications that comes with getting rid of Kyler.
None of the teams you mentioned built their teams that way.
Those teams had already well built teams even with those QBs being on big contracts. Monti still has to draft good players. Kyler’s contract does not in anyway prevent Monti from drafting good players.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
No because of the financial ramifications that comes with getting rid of Kyler.

You could argue the financial ramifications are worse by keeping Kyler. Lots of guarantees kicking in and even more if he gets injured.

I feel like we will be right back in purgatory by keeping a medicore Kyler.

Reactions: PJ1

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be that Kyler is a stop gap QB for this regime. Build the roster up. To buy time, sell Murray to the fans until then. This also placates the ownership spending money on Murray and unwilling to not get any ROI.

This plan for now appears logical.

Once the roster is builtup , Murray has no guarantees left. Cut or trade him and go get a new QB.

This does make it a 3-5 year rebuild if it is the plan.

Additional benefit is waiting 5 years means 2 out of 3 coaches in NFC West may be gone too. Right now, they cannot compete with their coaches even if Roster is half good.

The franchise gave you near 100 years of losing , cannot you wait another 5 years hoping?
No. I might be dead by then.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I feel like we’ll be having the same discussions regarding Caleb or Drake because you guys will lament them for not getting it done against real contenders with much better talent.

I’ve seen some people that are upset that we went Kyler over Bosa & complained that “if we drafted Bosa, we would have gotten Burrow/Herbert the next year”

Now, when it’s time to recorrect that decision, do those same people wanna take it back? I would hope not.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My position is fairly simple. While you can site successful QBs who were drafted in the second or third round, the stats say success is unlikely. It’s a big gamble. Most have a significant issue that few overcome. Your odds of getting a decent backup are better but you can sign a host of free agents to fill that role.
Harry, I’ve stated I don’t understand Kyler’s cap ramifications. But is there any chance we could trade Kyler, draft Williams and have enough cap space and draft capital to help a rookie Qb.

I doubt Bidwill would stand for paying lost dollars on Kyler but if we are going to move on from Kyler ( even if we don’t) I hate the thought of starting over with a new qb next year.

The more I think about it just draft Williams, draft and sign a couple of true nfl receivers and let the best man win the starting job.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray threw at least 4 passes in the 1st half that could not have been thrown any better, not by any QB in the NFL. All of them should have or could have been caught. Instead, NONE of them were caught. Now, some of that was just great defense, but that’s not Murray either. At some point, our WR’s have to make catches, and this group just can’t do it. Has anyone been watching Mahomes of late? He’s stinking up the joint today & already thrown a pick 6. A QB can only do so much without weapons at his disposal. Does anyone think that Mahomes isn’t a great QB? Of course he is. Murray had 240 yards passing, completed 63% of passes with at least 5 dropped passes, ran for another 40, threw 2 touchdowns with no picks. That’s a very good game against a defense like Chicago. Just silly to think that Murray isn’t the guy. No QB in the NFL would do any better with a roster in year 1 of a major overhaul. Get over it folks.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You could argue the financial ramifications are worse by keeping Kyler. Lots of guarantees kicking in and even more if he gets injured.

What is the longest a team has kept their "franchise" QB without a playoff win since being drafted? Curious if Kyler is top of the list

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I’ve seen some people that are upset that we went Kyler over Bosa & complained that “if we drafted Bosa, we would have gotten Burrow/Herbert the next year”

Totally different situation TBF.

We had just drafted a top 10 QB the year before.

Not to mention, he was on a rookie contract and his HC was a one and done.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Harry, I’ve stated I don’t understand Kyler’s cap ramifications. But is there any chance we could trade Kyler, draft Williams and have enough cap space and draft capital to help a rookie Qb.

I doubt Bidwill would stand for paying lost dollars on Kyler but if we are going to move on from Kyler ( even if we don’t) I hate the thought of starting over with a new qb next year.

The more I think about it just draft Williams, draft and sign a couple of true nfl receivers and let the best man win the starting job.

Kyler can be traded at the beginning of the 2024 league year. A few weeks after that his 25’ salary will be guaranteed. So it’s either trade him in early March or he’s ours for a while.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What is the longest a team has kept their "franchise" QB without a playoff win since being drafted? Curious if Kyler is top of the list

I don't know but I think Kyler and Herbert are the only QB's in the top 20 or so highest paid QB's (ACV) without a playoff win. They are both in the top 6 highest paid

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally different situation TBF.

We had just drafted a top 10 QB the year before.

Not to mention, he was on a rookie contract and his HC was a one and done.
Bruh lmao

The contract is damn near irrelevant in this instance.

The situation is eerily too similar:

Bypass the QB & continue to build up the team lacking a lot of talent?

Or

Draft the QB & pray to God your GM can nail draft picks in the meantime?

It’s damn near similar.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Odds are there is at least one.

Okay. Who is it?

Because if we don't know who it is, and/or we're not in a position draft him, then the play is to build around the QB already on your team that just posted a 97 QB rating against a fairly good defense and with questionable WRs.

Agree?

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays my friend.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

No. Too many holes. Everything has been setup to go the opposite way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean other than jimmy g throwing twice the interceptions . . .
That tends to happen when you don't have the supporting cast that Purdy has, which Jimmy G didn't.

Whats more likely:

1. Mr Irrelevant is a transcendent player.

Or

2. Mr. Irrelevant is a pretty good player surrounded by great players, top three coach, and a system that has made quite a few ok QBs look really good?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison