Xbox One

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Played the beta version on PC. Fun, but vastly overrated. While we all know companies hype stuff, the hype for this game is so unrealistic. Phil Spencer is quoted as saying..

I thought thew game was an awesome concept, unique and fresh and a ton of fun. I thought the graphics were pretty good and the game was very playable. Also got on top of some buildings that were pretty high up on one of the maps.

I dunno, thats an in depth review but maybe you had too high of expectations or something, I thought it was a sweet game with great flow and feel and for sure mixed it up from a typical shooter which is necessary in the genre. I love the traditional shooter but its always nice to have something different ala Halo or Titanfall.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought thew game was an awesome concept, unique and fresh and a ton of fun. I thought the graphics were pretty good and the game was very playable. Also got on top of some buildings that were pretty high up on one of the maps.

I dunno, thats an in depth review but maybe you had too high of expectations or something, I thought it was a sweet game with great flow and feel and for sure mixed it up from a typical shooter which is necessary in the genre. I love the traditional shooter but its always nice to have something different ala Halo or Titanfall.

Yeah the graphics aren't ugly, especially if people only played PS3/360 the last few years. They are just really, really dated compared to the DX11 effects that have been in PC games since 2009. Tessellation, huge environments, destructible environments, etc.

You're right, I came back here to initially report my findings. It's true a couple of the maps have much more vertical nature then the beta maps. So I'm glad to see that. Those couple of maps are much more the vertical scale I was expecting.

My expectations were high, but everyone in power (Microsoft/Respawn) was pushing them up high with their extraordinary claims. They said specific things, and at least the vertical nature came true on a couple of maps. :)

The hype surrounding the game reminds me of the mania of the Seahawks fans after the superbowl, lol.

It's decent fun, and I can completely understand some people really loving it. Especially those usually turned off by other FPS because it rewards poorer players a whole lot more then other games. Like in CoD the good players get the killstreaks and then reign supreme over the round. Here anyone can get a titan and wreck shop.

I agree there's always room for something new. I like all types of first person shooters/third person shooters. It was definitely fun enough to purchase at full price for me, so I did.

It is fast paced. But there are the down times where last night I went a couple minutes in a couple of matches without finding anyone to shoot due to 6v6.

Glad I bought it though, it's a nice addition to BF4/KZ:SF/CoD.

@DarrenG

Yeah gameplay is definitely the key, but it isn't fair to say when a game is on multiple platforms, gameplay is the difference, because those are the same (well mostly). How the game runs is the difference, and yes gameplay can be better if on one version you can see things in the distance more easily or at all.

So if one game has 1080p/60fps/AA and one is 720p/45-60FPS/No AA that there is a stark difference. Especially when to get access to the better version, one only needs buy the cheaper console. Higher resolutions are a huge difference in competitive shooter games. Same with framerate.

I'm not loyal to any corporation. Sony or Microsoft. I owned both last generation. Will probably at some point own both this generation. But it is clear, console wise, that the PS4 will perpetually receive the better multiplatform games, has more power to run more advanced features as time goes on, and doesn't have the ESRAM bottleneck. Tiled resources won't make 32mb's into 128mb's of ESRAM, and can introduce a whole new area of bugs. Like RAGE, with it's streaming textures issues. That game sucked until I got a new videocard. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If you don't know, here is one of many examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-od1QXnLOA0

Resolutiongate is extremely valid though. Again because we're talking about the same game, but different versions. It's apples to apples comparison, and higher resolution, steadier or higher framerate, and more effects for less is a massive difference.

I played most of my multiplatform games last gen on 360, because they were superior to the PS3 version. But this generation has differences 5-10x greater then last gen, and this time Sony has the lead. Both consoles will get better as time goes on, but the lesser specs and the ESRAM put a lower ceiling on the Xbox One, and Sony already has a major lead in actual game performance to begin with.

DX12 is rebranding the next version of DX 11.X as 12 for marketing reasons, and OpenGL and Sony's PSSL (playstation shader language) will get an update like the Xbox One will. But the problem is, the Xbox One already is having troubles running DX11 so adding more features that need alot of power won't help it catch up. Meanwhile Sony games sitting on 1080p, have the room to adopt these features without making sacrifices.

I fully expect Sony's power lead to widen during the generation. I see both as underpowered, just Sony's decisions make the higher resolutions and extra effects achievable. Meanwhile the ESRAM will most likely keep pushing XB1's resolution lower. The framebuffer right now are easily exceeding the ESRAM size, and by late gen the framebuffer of games will easily be in the 70-80-90 mb range at 1080p. Even with tiling, the only way to fit such more advanced next-gen quality is to lower the resolution.

The ESRAM bottleneck, when it bottlenecks, like it is already on many of its games, actually lower the effectual power of the Xbox One. Meaning even if the Xbox One had the same power as Sony, the ESRAM bottleneck would lead to poorer results and lower resolution.

Personally I wish both had waited another year or so as they both really needed something in the 3-5 TFlop range to really do justice for DX 11.

While it's true some people are going way overboard on their PC's and having 15 TFlops right now, such power in a single card for about $500 should come with the Volta line in the 2016-2017 timeframe. At that point some people will be pushing 45 TFlops or more in their PC's. Which is why 1.31 (1.29) TFlops with an ESRAM bottleneck is not going to be sufficient. These consoles might need to last to 2020, and I don't even want to know what will be out then on PC's. Before 2020, probably around 2017, 4k gaming will be the PC standard.

Sorry if it's long, it is complicated. I'm not trolling anyone, and hope everyone enjoys their respective consoles or gaming platform of choice. Hell I bought a Wii U, because I like Nintendo games. Doesn't mean it's not a dead console. It's toast. But as long as Nintendo supports it, I'm fine. The question is, how long will they?

I just like to understand the present to see the future. I don't like buying into hype, at least not, unrealistic massive hype.

Titanfall reviews were outrageously high that did overlook it's technical and design issues. That's because journalists as a whole suck these days. They're horrible. They don't know squat. I'm perfectly fine having fun with a game that scores a 5. Because 5's can still be fun. Massive fun. But they are indeed a 5.

The gaming industry at a whole has a really screwed up and non-universal grading system. Even systems that seem similar are vastly different. They also play the mob game, where if they score something too low, they'll feel the developer and fan backlash. Sometimes the same goes the other way. It's tough, but they often let their journalistic integrity falter. But it's hard when half the people think a 7 is mediocre, like a C in American school system, and other's think 5 is mediocre. Even on a 10 point scale their two different viewpoints. It's all screwed up. But I had a lot of fun last night in titanfall, I'll up the score I said earlier, only because they did include maps that were more vertical in the final game vs the beta. 6 or 7 on Xbox One. 8 on PC. But it's not worth a point more no matter what.

Judging lower based on technical flaw is not opinion, because technical flaws are not opinions. Not judging a game when they are present...THAT'S The opinion. I do have an issue when these same flaws can knock a 9-10 game down to 7, but now with Titanfall they are overlooked.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More Proof resolution gate is total crap. In this case IGN compared the PC version to XBOX ONE. Not only does the game look pretty damn good on both platforms but the XBOX ONE holds it's own no problem. Keep in mind that somebody who has a ton of money and an elite rig can always squeeze more out of it, that is not the point.

The games both appears to run smoothly. No huge difference in draw distance, the ability to see or target enemies with clarity. Like I said simply impressed at how well the XBOX ONE stands up. This is the type of difference the average PC Gamer will experience in the game. Anybody that sees the video above and says there is a huge difference that will impact play is simply delusional.

Will the game ever run at 1080P? OK, no but it doesn't matter. The experiences are nearly identical.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/03/13/titanfall-xbox-one-vs-pc-graphics-comparison

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had GTA5 on last night and somehow game mode had been turned off. everything looked terrible, colors were washed together and it was bothering the hell out of me. I went through options, found game mode off, turned it back on and man is this game beautiful.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up Titan Fall two days ago and I love it. The beta was fun, but the full version has so much more, which I figureed it would. Also, it looks amazing on my TV.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the top down halo game has been reduced to $10. Also, tomb raider and some other games are available at 70% to 50% of the original price today

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
Opened a service request due to my macheen not reading discs. It is happening more often now. I am trying to deal with it for another month or so until I go out of town for a week and I will send it back then. I am really bummed I have had this problem with every single xbox unit I have owned.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Kinect Sports Rivals game yesterday. Haven't had a chance to play it much yet but it has a pretty cool feature when you setup your character. It scans your face to get a 3D capture of it. Then it builds your Avatar with that face. Pretty cool feature.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Kinect Sports Rivals game yesterday. Haven't had a chance to play it much yet but it has a pretty cool feature when you setup your character. It scans your face to get a 3D capture of it. Then it builds your Avatar with that face. Pretty cool feature.

saw a photo of that, pretty neat. Figure ill try it out when i start gamefly back up. The jetski game they demod wasnt even close to fun in my opinion so I dont have high hopes for the game.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More Proof resolution gate is total crap. In this case IGN compared the PC version to XBOX ONE. Not only does the game look pretty damn good on both platforms but the XBOX ONE holds it's own no problem. Keep in mind that somebody who has a ton of money and an elite rig can always squeeze more out of it, that is not the point.

The games both appears to run smoothly. No huge difference in draw distance, the ability to see or target enemies with clarity. Like I said simply impressed at how well the XBOX ONE stands up. This is the type of difference the average PC Gamer will experience in the game. Anybody that sees the video above and says there is a huge difference that will impact play is simply delusional.

Will the game ever run at 1080P? OK, no but it doesn't matter. The experiences are nearly identical.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/03/13/titanfall-xbox-one-vs-pc-graphics-comparison

That's not proof at all. No offense, and with all due respect, but we're talking about a Source Engine game. You cannot judge a console by a Source Engine game. You simply cannot. It's like judging today's planes based on what the Enola Gay could do.

Also if you're watching through IGN's video player you aren't going to see a difference because IGN's video player is too horrible to show a difference. You need raw videos and IGN's horrible bitrate and resoultion (BOTH matter) ensure that no one will tell a difference even if it was Tie Fighter vs Crysis 3. You need full 1080p with at least a 6000 bitrate. Sometimes you can find all the way to 60,000 bitrate. IGN's bitrate is like in the hundreds. Try gamersyde (uncompressed video) or digital foundry for better analysis. Even then Digital Foundry has been messing up really bad lately and missing obvious problems in their reviews.

But IGN is NOTORIOUS for having a really crappy video player that doesn't let you see differences in anything.

360 version
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-xbox-360-performance-analysis

PC vs XB1 version (but again it's a SOURCE engine game)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-next-gen-face-off

This game's engine is from 2004, or from Xbox era. Not Xbox 360 era, but PS2/Xbox era.

It does not look great at ultra settings on PC. The game is using old technology, and very inefficiently. Even though the Xbox One is weak, it should be able to pump out Titanfall at 1080p.

The art direction is good, and art direction can always make inferior graphics look a whole lot better. See Nintendo. There's also plenty of games that don't need great graphics to be fun, also see Nintendo. Titanfall has this.

But you may want to look to see the 360 version of Titanfall. Notice how it's decently below the PC version, but it's not a big leap. Is that because the PC isn't far beyond the 360? It's the game. You can't tell the Xbox One isn't up to snuff because Titanfall doesn't ask much from it. But also because it's inefficient, and it doesn't have a lot of raw power, it's stuck at normal textures and 1408x792p with 17-60 FPS.

But the 360 to PC titanfall difference is comparable to say the leap between the PS4 version of MGS: Ground Zeroes and the Xbox One version.

PS4
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ps4_8.png

Xbox One
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/xbox _8.png

Titanfall is literally the WORST game possible to judge Xbox One graphics with. It's built off old tech and is highly inefficient. It's like playing Half Life 2 at 792p. Then saying you're surprised it holds up well to the 1080p version on PC. Well neither are good looking games because they are 2004 technology that don't showcase at all what the system can do.

Where the gap will really show is in a few years when the low end PC stuff is where the PS4 is in power. Literally in a year or so you'll have next-next gen power (PS5/Xbox Two) in PC's. High end and really expensive ones, but it'll be there. Right now it's like if the 360/PS3 were launched in 2008-2009 instead of 2005-2006. There's a huge gap at the start between PC and console that did not exist with the PS3/360. PC's and consoles were pretty close. Hell right now you can get a single card that has 8 TFlops. Pop three of them in your computer and you have roughly 24 TFlops of power at your disposal. That's almost 20x what the Xbox One brings and 15x what a PS4 brings. In a couple years, such cards will be $300-500. Pop a couple in and that's how far you'll be beyond the consoles.

Microsoft is also way overtalking DX12, which will help PC's far, far, far more (which in total won't be that much) then the Xbox One.

What they need to do is drop Kinect and drop the price down to $299, and then you have a console that is charging closer to what it's worth. They need to create or buy about 10 studios to pump out games.

As for Kinect Sports Rivals, from what I read it is still less accurate then the Playstation Move and Sports Champions. Like Sports Champions on the PS3, a Kinect game can read your wrist movements so you can put spin on the ball, but the Move already did that perfectly last gen. From what I heard though Kinect Sports Rivals gets flaky when two people are playing.

I know I would never let that NSA cam to scan my face. Microsoft loves the NSA, because they've done everything they wanted and more for the last couple of decades (before Saudi Arabia pulled off 9/11).

They even knew everything about the spying, as the NSA's lawyers said in court that all the firms were FULLY aware of the NSA's activities, which also makes every tech company that feigned ignorance liars on the issue. Like Mark Suckerberg and definitely Microsoft.

Anyways, hopefully they ditch the Kinect, lower the price, and get some quality 1st party games out in a couple of years and I'll buy the Xbox One.

Last edited:

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I know I would never let that NSA cam to scan my face. Microsoft loves the NSA, because they've done everything they wanted and more for the last couple of decades (before Saudi Arabia pulled off 9/11).

They even knew everything about the spying, as the NSA's lawyers said in court that all the firms were FULLY aware of the NSA's activities, which also makes every tech company that feigned ignorance liars on the issue. Like Mark Suckerberg and definitely Microsoft.

Have you never had a drivers license or State ID? They know your face already.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so tired of people talking about how the NSA is watching me play video games. Give me a break. it doesnt even recognise me half the time and I got it to scan a plant so if i bring the plant in the room i made an account and it says "hi plant"

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so tired of people talking about how the NSA is watching me play video games. Give me a break. it doesnt even recognise me half the time and I got it to scan a plant so if i bring the plant in the room i made an account and it says "hi plant"

It's kind of complicated, but I did read about an Xbox Kinect hack that you can perform to ward off the prying eyes of the NSA.

WARNING! This could possibly void your warranty and I accept no liability if you brick your system.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apparently this is the information the NSA is seeking

(PS: dont google image "playing xbox" if you dont want to see some nasty stuff)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not proof at all. No offense, and with all due respect, but we're talking about a Source Engine game. You cannot judge a console by a Source Engine game. You simply cannot. It's like judging today's planes based on what the Enola Gay could do.

Also if you're watching through IGN's video player you aren't going to see a difference because IGN's video player is too horrible to show a difference. You need raw videos and IGN's horrible bitrate and resoultion (BOTH matter) ensure that no one will tell a difference even if it was Tie Fighter vs Crysis 3. You need full 1080p with at least a 6000 bitrate. Sometimes you can find all the way to 60,000 bitrate. IGN's bitrate is like in the hundreds. Try gamersyde (uncompressed video) or digital foundry for better analysis. Even then Digital Foundry has been messing up really bad lately and missing obvious problems in their reviews.

But IGN is NOTORIOUS for having a really crappy video player that doesn't let you see differences in anything........................

EDITED TO SAVE EVERYONE EYE STRAIN.

Dude...seriously no offense but you need to get to the point quicker or learn to summarize. LOL.

I am not sure any of that invalidates what I said. I was not talking about comparing low end games to high end games. I was saying a DIRECT comparison of Titanfall regardless of what engine is being used and platform...the XBOX holds it's own. I mean it's a given if some game is optimized for a several thousand dollar gaming rig it's not going to compare to a console. That is a different topic than this ridiculous resolution gate.

However, IGN discusses their own experience and I have seen full resolution comparisons. In fact, I just went over my buddies house who has a $4,000 rig and the XBOX ONE and we played them side by side. Yes the high end PC showed more detail but there is very little difference which is the entire point. Next, we looked at Battlefield 4. Again, some very neat little details but once again...not a major difference. I brought over my PS4 and we looked at all 3. We saw minor upgrades, XBOX to PS4 to High End PC and it wasn't all that different.

Seriously, I will say it again. Resolution gate it total crap and only for fan boys. Here is why. The average person doesn't own a $4,000 gaming rig and never will. The average person is playing on a much much much cheaper PC. With so little difference and most gamers playing on low end PC rigs.....the only thing that is going to matter is game play. It does that fine in spades.

I could easily sprinkle in some analysis and discussion around the median TV size, 46 inches, and how many articles point out the average person can't see a difference between 720P and 1080P at that size....just further invalidates resolution gate as nothing but fan boy fodder the average gamer doesn't care about.

Bottom line....my point still stands. The average gamer will see very little difference and unless your a fan boy it's not even worth discussing. The game plays great on the XBOX ONE and looks great. Ofcourse a high end rig is going to give you a little more eye candy but it's not like comparing VHS to DVD. It's more like comparing regular DVD to Super bit DVD (for those that remember those).

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I picked it up too. My only gripe is that in order for my son and I to play our character against each other, we have to go through all the training. There is the vs. mode, but those are with game characters. My son is almost 6, all he wanted to do is create out players and play against each other, not spent 3 hours training. So now I have to do it after he is asleep. He is all the way unlocked, so I only have to finish my player up.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
other the other games a lot better than the wake racing game? How does it compare with the only kinect sports? better responces to movement and etc?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
other the other games a lot better than the wake racing game? How does it compare with the only kinect sports? better responces to movement and etc?

I have not played the other kinect, but this one is pretty smooth. The wake racing is actually better than the demo too. I like the bowling and rock climing. Soccer is kind of borning, shooting is fun, but very basic. The only one I have not really played it tennis. Worth it play with my kid.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Quick question could I use an xbox one to end cable? Is it better than a roku in that sense?

Sent from an old telephone booth using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question could I use an xbox one to end cable? Is it better than a roku in that sense?

Sent from an old telephone booth using Tapatalk 2

its the same as roku, not a lot different as far as watching tv goes except for the blueray player. the only thing it does for tv watching is downloads netflix, hulu, etc. Same difference.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dude...seriously no offense but you need to get to the point quicker or learn to summarize. LOL.

It's all good man. lol

That's the point about Titanfall, the game isn't an indicator of top end PC's, medium end PC's, or low-medium end consoles. The game is on an archaic game engine that can't handle graphical techniques post 2008 very well, if at all. But while Titanfall doesn't showcase in some ways what any platform can do, it does also indicate the lack of power of the Xbox One because it can't play such an archaic game well. 792p and fluctuating between 17 to 60 frames per second is horrible.

It's the same game engine on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. It's the same engine of Half-Life 2 from 2004.

You don't need thousands of dollars for a great PC. For example, my GTX 670 cost $399 (100 less then an Xbox One) and has twice the raw power of the Xbox One, and I bought it in May 2012. 1 1/2 years earlier, $100 cheaper. True you have to buy the other parts, someone could have built a system around the GTX 670 for about $600-800 depending on what you want, and had something far better then EITHER console a year and half earlier. Of course you can go far beyond that for thousands of dollars.

That graphics card I mentioned that was cheaper then an XB1 and was sold in spring 2012 can easily run Titanfall at 1080p/60, a consistent 60 frames per second, which is a lot better then 792p/17-60FPS. In multiplayer shooters, framerate drops are horrible and game experience breaking.

I understand what you are saying, little differences, but they are a bit more then little. It depends also on how long you are exposed to them. I think this is really our disagreement. I agree with you that it isn't some massive generational difference, but it is quite a bit of a difference, and we have to remember that via PS4 or PC, for less or a little more money you get that higher level of graphics. So it is a big deal. Not because I say so, but because different companies are asking us to buy a product, and the more advanced gaming product costs less.

$499 for least
$399 for more
$600-6000 for even more with room to spare.

That's why resolutiongate matters. 720p to 1080p is quite noticeable. Better graphical effects and better framerate matters. Especially when you get the better for less $$$. One company is asking people to pay more for less. It's not about fanboys, it's about reality. Sure some people like to attack the other side, but it is not being a fanboy to point out that some people are paying more for less, and others are paying less for more.

You're both right and wrong about TV screen and resolution. It is easily apparent, but not always at first. Remember when the 360 and PS3 came out? There was a significant segment who said they didn't see the difference between 480p and 600-720p. Which of course objectively is horsecrap. But subjectively, at first people really didn't see it. Remember what happened over time? People figured it out. Now if you asked those people to game at 480p they'd probably laugh and go hell no. The average gamer will learn and appreciate/scoff.

That's my point. That 1080p to 720p is the new 600-720p being compared to 480p. Right now we're at that point where people who haven't experienced gaming in 1080p enough to not notice the difference, don't notice the difference. But it won't stay that way. Some people think it is static, but last generation showed us that it wasn't static. People learned. That small difference will be magnified as more and more people get used to these higher standards, and people will scoff at the console asking for more money and providing lower resolution levels, framerate, and graphics.

I also remember when the 360/PS3 were advertised as playing games at 1080p. Having a PC monitor at the time that could do 2048x1536 starting in 2004, the first few weeks I was wondering why certain games looked a lot poorer on my 360 then my PC at 1600x1200 or higher. It's because they weren't 1080p. They were playing the 600-720p was upscaled to 1080p game. Once someone has been exposed to these higher values for a while, the differences become noticeable faster and faster. It's like looking at some of those optical illusion posters we've probably all been exposed to at one point or another. You might stand there at first for 20 minutes trying to see it. But once you figure out how to look at those posters, you can look at any poster after that and immediately see it.

I agree that the Xbox One, PS4, and PC all have enough power to provide the same general gameplay experience. None will have to cut anything out for the foreseeable future. But how that gameplay is presented, and what the asking price is, that's the difference.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all good man. lol

I understand what you are saying, little differences, but they are a bit more then little. It depends also on how long you are exposed to them. I think this is really our disagreement. I agree with you that it isn't some massive generational difference, but it is quite a bit of a difference, and we have to remember that via PS4 or PC, for less or a little more money you get that higher level of graphics. So it is a big deal. Not because I say so, but because different companies are asking us to buy a product, and the more advanced gaming product costs less.

$499 for least
$399 for more
$600-6000 for even more with room to spare.

That's why resolutiongate matters. 720p to 1080p is quite noticeable. Better graphical effects and better framerate matters. Especially when you get the better for less $$$. One company is asking people to pay more for less. It's not about fanboys, it's about reality. Sure some people like to attack the other side, but it is not being a fanboy to point out that some people are paying more for less, and others are paying less for more.

You're both right and wrong about TV screen and resolution. It is easily apparent, but not always at first. Remember when the 360 and PS3 came out? There was a significant segment who said they didn't see the difference between 480p and 600-720p. Which of course objectively is horsecrap. But subjectively, at first people really didn't see it. Remember what happened over time? People figured it out. Now if you asked those people to game at 480p they'd probably laugh and go hell no.

That's my point. That 1080p to 720p is the new 600-720p being compared to 480p. Right now we're at that point where people who haven't experienced gaming in 1080p enough to not notice the difference, but it won't stay that way. That small difference will be magnified as more and more people get used to these higher standards, and people will scoff at the console asking for more money and providing lower resolution levels, framerate, and graphics.

I agree that the Xbox One, PS4, and PC all have enough power to provide the same general game play experience. None will have to cut anything out for the foreseeable future. But how that game play is presented, and what the asking price is, that's the difference.

You are comparing apples to oranges. I would agree you can see the difference between 480P to 720P but the law of diminishing returns is in full effect the smaller the screen size and based on viewing distance which is the point. The median size of TV's in America matters. When comparing 720P to 1080P on screen size smaller than 46 inches the AVERAGE person can't tell. This is more like the new argument with 4K vs 1080P. I went to a demo of 4K and simply put....under a certain screen size you can't tell the difference between 1080P and 4K. It wasn't until I looked at TV above 55 inches that I could see a difference and even that difference disappeared after a certain viewing distance.

I have several HD TV's in the home and one my older smaller VIZIOs only does 720P. I didn't see a difference between that TV and my smaller 1080P 46" set. It wasn't until I hooked it up to my 65 inch that I could see a difference. These are real world examples.

Again...let me make this clear...we are talking about the average viewer and the average gamer. For example, I am a Home Theater enthusiast and I have a dedicated Home Theater. There are things that I really pay attention to that my friends would simply never notice or care about. The same goes with these fan boy arguments about consoles and resolution gate. First off, I don't think PC's should even be part of this discussion. PC's can be upgraded and you can spend an ungodly amount of money....therefore, you will get more out of it.

When I talk about resolution gate, I am mainly referring to XBOX vs. PS4. The only reason I brought the PC into the discussion, is being all things equal (all platforms) using same engine.....there simply isn't a major difference. It goes without saying that if a game is optimized for high end PC gaming rig you are going to see more out of it. However, nobody is even disputing that.

All I can tell you is I have seen real world examples (PC vs XBOX ONE VS PS4) doing comparison myself (i.e. BF4). The new Frostbite engine was built to take advantage of high end gaming rigs and yet the XBOX ONE and PS4 versions run just fine and pretty damn smooth regardless of resolution differences or slight eye candy features.

My biggest problem with this entire B.S. subject is that fan boys act like it's going from VHS to Blu Ray. It's simply not. Most gamers will never care or have a TV big enough to tell the difference.

Here is what the average gamer cares about:
Is the game fun?
Does the game look good?

Here is what they don't care about:
What is the frame rate? (they don't know what that is).
Is this 1080P or 900P? (they can't tell the difference).

REMEMBER the majority of gamers who drive the market are not fan boys who even care or have any knowledge about this stuff. Hence...fan boy fodder more than anything else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peggle 2 adds to its catalogue of whimsical, cartoony Peggle Masters with Windy the Fairy. Windy can use her power of Fairy Flock to turn regular blue pegs into high scoring purple pegs.
Anyone who has played Peggle knows that hitting a purple peg gives a higher score for each next peg that is hit, so having a power that allows for multiple purple pegs in a level seems like a dandy power indeed. The $1.99 download for "Windy's Master Pack" nets you Windy the Fairy, 10 new levels, 10 new trials, 30 additional objectives, three costumes, and three new achievements.
This pack is out now for Xbox One and once Peggle 2 comes to Xbox 360 on May 7th, that pack will be there too.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...4/22/here-comes-windy-the-fairy-peggle-2.aspx

I noticed right away peggle 2 had many less charectors than peggle one. Glad to see that the inevitable charector add ons are only going to run $2.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard