Xbox One

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stoked. Mostly waiting to see if they drop the price and release date so I can go preorder and not have to wait until spring 2014 to get one.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did not bother providing release date or price...but it looks like the "always online" part didn't happen.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only get onto so much here at work unfortunatley. I did notice no release date - thats what I am waiting for so I can pre order and not wait until next year to get a damn console (ill never sit in one of those lines)

Some cool stuff though. We expected the kinect integration which will be good for kinect. Im not a fan of standing around playing games but I like the features such as calling audibles on madden with my voice and etc...

A further submersed experience with tv/apps and etc will be cool. While I want them to focus on video games I do use it a LOT for media purposes. If I didnt like my android so much I would consider a windows phone too but I am sure I will end up with windows 8 soon enough and it will sync up too. Will be cool.

havent got to look at it all but sounds bigger, stronger, faster, better, same ol. Cant wait to pre order :)

bring back family gold! $100 for 4 accounts is much better than $60 for one and then having my kids mess up the stats on my gamertag!!!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something important to note:

Yahoo said:
Microsoft also reached a multiyear deal with the National Football League to develop new interactive viewing experiences, such as the ability to watch games, chat with other fans, view statistics, access highlights in real time and gather fantasy information about players and teams — all on a single screen.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Did not bother providing release date or price...but it looks like the "always online" part didn't happen.

"No, a constant, persistent internet connection is not required to play games. But yes, the Xbox One needs to check in with the internet at least once a day. So yes, it has to be connected to the internet, but no, not all the time."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...-one-questions-used-games-always-on-and-more/

Plus:
-No backward compatibility
-Used games require an unlock fee

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

-It will not function without Kinetic attached

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"No, a constant, persistent internet connection is not required to play games. But yes, the Xbox One needs to check in with the internet at least once a day. So yes, it has to be connected to the internet, but no, not all the time."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...-one-questions-used-games-always-on-and-more/

Plus:
-No backward compatibility
-Used games require an unlock fee

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

-It will not function without Kinetic attached

I read that the used games will but playing at a friends house wont.

Backwards compatibility isnt a big issue to me - the only thing I care about is porting my arcade games which really isnt a big deal either. I will be keeping my 360 anyway in my othe rliving room.

Kinect has to be attached due to its how the controllers port I believe, no big deal for me.

not sure why it would have to check in daily? shouldnt be needed - we'll see how this goes as more comes out. Some of the stuff is just weird soundingwithout context.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
links are blocked for me and did limited research at home last night - mostly just trying to find preorders which I did set up multiple alerts for it.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Some of the stuff is just weird soundingwithout context.

Agreed. Microsoft put off the unveiling a month, but I believe that the nuts-and-bolts of many of the features, as well of more details of launch titles and exclusives, will be revealed at E3.

Xbox unveils Xbox One and their stock falls and Playstation stock rises..

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/21/xb...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)

The PS4 appears to be Sony's attempt to catch-up to the open developer environment that really led, in my opinion, to Microsoft's dominance over Sony phase of the console war. The Xbox One seems kind of like the space-aged all-in-one device; very ambitious, but I wonder how it'll truly perform once it's released.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Microsoft put off the unveiling a month, but I believe that the nuts-and-bolts of many of the features, as well of more details of launch titles and exclusives, will be revealed at E3.

The PS4 appears to be Sony's attempt to catch-up to the open developer environment that really led, in my opinion, to Microsoft's dominance over Sony phase of the console war. The Xbox One seems kind of like the space-aged all-in-one device; very ambitious, but I wonder how it'll truly perform once it's released.

it doesnt seem far off from the 360's already running capabilities though, just more stuff.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Xbox One won't require a constant connection to the Internet, but having it will be useful for many of the gaming and entertainment features. The Xbox has been popular largely because of its Xbox Live service, which lets users play games online with other players with annual plans that cost as much as $60 a year. "The box wants to connect to the Internet," Whitten said. "That said, we understand the Internet is flakey. It doesn't always work. We want to make sure you can still play your games, watch movies and watch TV if the Internet is down."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130521/DA6E025G0.html

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With the x86 architecture (also available on the ps4) game ports to and from PC will be much better. I wonder if we'll finally be able to get PC and console players playing against each other.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
With the x86 architecture (also available on the ps4) game ports to and from PC will be much better. I wonder if we'll finally be able to get PC and console players playing against each other.

Combo servers have been tried with the original Xbox, but were scrapped. The PC community regularly dominated players from the Xbox due to hacks & exploits. Couple that with the fact that platform manufacturers want to control access of the gaming experience through their product, I doubt you'll ever see any crossover servers between platforms again.

On a side note, I'm starting to see some interesting comments regarding the reveal itself. Things like the crowd response was "sweetened" with piped in crowd reaction (many press present were tweeting "we're not applauding this" at various times), that Xbox Ones demo units in the audience where reacting to voice commands form the stage (and crashing), and that the on-stage control of the system being used was actually disabled, and physically controlled by someone off stage to mimic the movements and commands of the presenters to avoid the possibility of duplicating the Bill Gates Windows 98 roll-out moment.

Just food for thought.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Combo servers have been tried with the original Xbox, but were scrapped. The PC community regularly dominated players from the Xbox due to hacks & exploits. Couple that with the fact that platform manufacturers want to control access of the gaming experience through their product, I doubt you'll ever see any crossover servers between platforms again.

On a side note, I'm starting to see some interesting comments regarding the reveal itself. Things like the crowd response was "sweetened" with piped in crowd reaction (many press present were tweeting "we're not applauding this" at various times), that Xbox Ones demo units in the audience where reacting to voice commands form the stage (and crashing), and that the on-stage control of the system being used was actually disabled, and physically controlled by someone off stage to mimic the movements and commands of the presenters to avoid the possibility of duplicating the Bill Gates Windows 98 roll-out moment.

Just food for thought.
I suspected that the entire time I was watching it. I even told dcr that I'll believe it when I see it. In my opinion, the voice controls claim to do "too much". We've already had to turn our Kinect off for the most part because it misinterprets conversation for commands. It's insanely frustrating.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, that blue screen of death demo was amazing!

Xbox One does not impress me, one bit.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Was it actual hacks and exploits? I've heard of this being tried, and PC dominated due to how amazing mouse and keyboard is compared to a controller.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it actual hacks and exploits? I've heard of this being tried, and PC dominated due to how amazing mouse and keyboard is compared to a controller.

hacks are more prevelant but yes, the mouse is too accurate to go vs controllers in shooters IMO.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just food for thought.

im more curious of the e3 presentations anyway

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score

hacks are more prevelant but yes, the mouse is too accurate to go vs controllers in shooters IMO.

You must be registered for see images

I'm a mouse and keyboard user myself, but I'm also 44 and I don't play FPS's anymore (especially online multiplayer ones). I could never get the hang of the two-stick movement/look combo. My kids, on the other hand, took to it like a fish to water.

I agree that, initially, M&K was just inherently better than a gamepad controller. Now they're at least on par for the average gamer, if only due to the fact that games are 99% ports of console games with GUI's that are engineered to make gameplay more accessible for slow, dim-witted, console gamers (like myself).

I love me some quicktime events!

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard