With a good Spring Training, would you throw Justin Upton to the wolves immediately?

Should Upton Be Thrown To the Wolves Immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 65.7%

• Total voters

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Got this idea from an article in today's Arizona Republic.

TUCSON - By bringing Justin Upton to camp as a non-roster invitee, the Diamondbacks were thought to be doing just the gentlemanly thing by having their No. 1 overall pick hang around and soak up a little atmosphere.

But after a meeting of the minds among all the baseball operations staff, it was determined the top-notch shortstop prospect would be better served by being thrown to the wolves, even at the ripe young age of 18.

"We wouldn't have him in there if we didn't think he couldn't handle it," manager Bob Melvin said of the Gatorade Player of the Year from Chesapeake, Va. "Just talking to him and looking at him, he doesn't look like an 18-year-old."

Upton, who signed a rookie-record $6.1 million deal, will be used in various situations once Cactus League play begins March 2. It could be in later-inning situations, or starts at shortstop when the right time arises.

"The consensus was that you don't have to take it easy on this guy, just let him go out and play," Melvin said. "Now there's a pecking order as to where he plays in a game . . . but everybody that's spent some time with him and knows him says this guy can handle just about anything."

Upton, who is expected to start the season at Class A South Bend in the Diamondbacks system, recently said he is ready for anything.

"I just want to play and see what happens," he said. "My whole thing is to be here, get acquainted, and do everything I can to get better."

So, what do you think? Obviously, I'm not insinuating he should be an every-day player, but if he proves he can handle big league hitting in the majors, would you do as the Nats have done with Ryan Zimmerman and put him in the majors quickly? Or do you feel some time in South Bend and up would be better suited for his needs?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Are you suggesting throwing him into the major leagues right out of high school? Give him some time in the minors not only to acclimate to the differences in the game but also the differences between being an amatuer and being a professional.

And Upton (like Drew, Jackson, and Quentin) should only be in the major leagues if he's going to play every day. You don't platoon elite prospects.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Plus I want to see this guy in the outfield. I dont want to see him keep Drew from being the starting SS in the near future.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
He needs to play some in the minors, to build confidence, and to learn how to adjust to major league pitching when it adjusts to him.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well it doesnt make sense for him to be in the MLB and sit on the bench, he isnt learning much that way. Give him some at bats in the minors, let him adjust to things, etc etc. Maybe while in the minors he can also learn a few other positions (2B, OF?).

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
If he has a good ST, put him in Double A ball and evaluate from there. Many say if you can hit at the AA level you can hit in the bigs

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The guy hasn't even held a wooden bat?!?!?

I'm pretty sure he's held/swung a wooden bat...Most prospects these days, put a little work in with the wooden bat...The ASU baseball team practices with wooden bats...

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
I'm pretty sure he's held/swung a wooden bat...Most prospects these days, put a little work in with the wooden bat...The ASU baseball team practices with wooden bats...

Were you aware of his numbers in the minor leagues last season....? No metal there....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Were you aware of his numbers in the minor leagues last season....? No metal there....

:? ?????????????? What are you talking about??

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:

I was obviously being figurative. Upton just came out of high school, how many wooden at bats would you say he has?

Its a big adjustment. Not just the bats but everything else too. I'm sure he can do it but its gonna take time.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When I was at GCC, we would often take practice with wooden bats. The batting coach said it strengthened the wrists :confused: (I never really got the rationel of that thinking)

Plus I couldn't lay down a bunt with a metal bat to save my life

whozurmomma

One smart momma
Reaction score
Altho I have no doubts that B J Upton is a very talented and very mature player for his age, we still need to remember that he is only 18 years old. That is very very young.

Playing at the major league level does not just require the ability to hit major league pitching but it is sooooooo much more than that. Major league level defense requires another level of maturity that I find difficult to believe even a talented player like BJ is ready for at his tender age.

And what about just learning the ins and outs of professional life that happen on a daily basis? I realize that he probably has a mentor in his brother, but being told about the challenges and living them are really 2 different things. And his brother won't be with him on a daily basis either. Just look at Jered Weaver's latest escapade where he was drunk in public and actually had Mike Scoscia give him a little chat on public decorum. Where was his brother Jeff before Jered made that mistake and got his knuckles slapped with the company ruler?

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
whozurmomma said:
Altho I have no doubts that B J Upton is a very talented and very mature player for his age, we still need to remember that he is only 18 years old. That is very very young.

Playing at the major league level does not just require the ability to hit major league pitching but it is sooooooo much more than that. Major league level defense requires another level of maturity that I find difficult to believe even a talented player like BJ is ready for at his tender age.

And what about just learning the ins and outs of professional life that happen on a daily basis? I realize that he probably has a mentor in his brother, but being told about the challenges and living them are really 2 different things. And his brother won't be with him on a daily basis either. Just look at Jered Weaver's latest escapade where he was drunk in public and actually had Mike Scoscia give him a little chat on public decorum. Where was his brother Jeff before Jered made that mistake and got his knuckles slapped with the company ruler?

Great post! Welcome to the boards :)

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
whozurmomma said:

It's Justin not BJ ;)

whozurmomma

One smart momma
Reaction score
Big oops !!!
Thanks for pointing it out. I would fix it in the quoted portions if I could. Don't know why I always switch their names. Guess it just seems like 'B J' should be the little brother.

Very embarassesd momma