why is everyone giving Green a mulligan on this one?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I wrote this on another topic, but I believe this question deserves its own forum
icon7.gif

krepitch said:
Can't we still win the NFC West?

I'm starting to think that the benching, for whatever reason, was good for Josh and for the team.
Benching him was a terrible idea, the team was 3-1 over previous 4 games, the decision sent the Cards reeling for 4 weeks
icon8.gif

That being said, Josh may have had a fire lit under him because of the benching, but one game would have sufficed!

Having him sit 3 more games while King and Navarre floundered was simple arrogance.

Heck, if Navarre doesn't get injured Green probably would have kept him in and the cards would end up 4-12.

I give the credit to Josh and only Josh on this one, why is everyone giving Green a mulligan on this one?

The 4 game benching was a complete and utter mistake!

That being said, I still want Green as our coach, but giving him credit for benching our starting QB when we could have been in the driver's seat for the division title is going a little to far.

Go Josh and Go CARDS!!

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Because they all hate Josh and want him gone so they can bring in a retread like Aaron Brooks or Drew Bledsoe. :shrug:

If a QB doesn't materialize into the second coming of Montana/Elway within 3 games with this crew, they must SUCK! :rolleyes:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
I give the credit to Josh and only Josh on this one, why is everyone giving Green a mulligan on this one?

Probably because after years of bad results, we like anything that seems to have worked. No matter how backasswards it came about.

I mean we all know we could easily be sitting here 1-13 with Larry Marmie as interim coach.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Probably becaue nobody had realistic expectations of winning the NFC west with a losing record.Who knows,Josh may have continued to struggle and we lose those games anyway. Like I said in another post, if JOsh had been playing the way he has the last game and a half then he would've never been benched.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
I wrote this on another topic, but I believe this question deserves its own forum
icon7.gif

Benching him was a terrible idea, the team was 3-1 over previous 4 games, the decision sent the Cards reeling for 4 weeks
icon8.gif

That being said, Josh may have had a fire lit under him because of the benching, but one game would have sufficed!

Having him sit 3 more games while King and Navarre floundered was simple arrogance.

Heck, if Navarre doesn't get injured Green probably would have kept him in and the cards would end up 4-12.

The 4 game benching was a complete and utter mistake!

That being said, I still want Green as our coach, but giving him credit for benching our starting QB when we could have been in the driver's seat for the division title is going a little to far.

Go Josh and Go CARDS!!

FIRST OF ALL - he was benched for THREE games - or didn't you froget that HE WAS THE STARTER AS WE LOST TO THE NINERS AGAIN (you know the only team in the league to do so). As far as the rest of you rpost - I'll give you the Detroit game - maybe we win that one - but seeing as the only tam we beat on the road all season was the 2nd worst team in football and we barely did that - even that game is suspect.

That four game losing streak was a combo of the schedule actually getting tougher - we played 2 of our next three games on the road (one of which against Carolina who has been the hottest team in the league and had already started their winning streak) and the home game was against a 10-4 Jets team who has shut out 7 opponents in the second half. I'm sure that had nothing to do with us losing three games in a row - nothing whatsoever - especially considering those three wins came over a pretty average Seattle team that has gone 4-7 since starting 3-0 and then barely beating the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in football (Miami and NY). But yeah - we'd be in the driver's seat right now if - if - oh - yeah - IF WE HAD BEATEN THE FREAKING 49ER'S!

Cardinal Bob - my friend - you are simply someone who likes to start trouble. If the guy wasn't throwing for 90 yards and being a reason we almost lost to both the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in football in back to back weeks - we wouldn't have said boo. But the fact was he was and we did. But keep telling yourself that we all "hate" Josh because then you wouldn't have to fess up to the reality that HE HADN'T PLAYED WELL TO THAT POINT.

Besides - I'll gvie Green a mulligan simply because he showed he isn't the type of coach that is happy with just getting by. He saw our schedule was going to get tougher and we were gonna need to score more points. He made a decision and it didn't work, but at the same time - it has immeasurably seemed to light a fire under Josh - so who cares. This thing ain't about turning this entire ship around in one season and anyone that thinks that it was gonna be that way - with Josh should look at the fact that with him at QB, we still lost to the worst team in football twice.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh. It's past. Let it die. Green said several times he was trying to generate more offense and scoring.

Green gets a free pass from me on everything this first year.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Sigh. It's past. Let it die. Green said several times he was trying to generate more offense and scoring.

Yep.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

that's the bottom line.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:

Do tell how we would have defeated the Bills and/or the Panthers on the Road with Josh at the helm.....please.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinal Bob said:
If a QB doesn't materialize into the second coming of Montana/Elway within 3 games with this crew, they must SUCK! :rolleyes:

Bob werent you one of the guys that said to give him 10 games?

He got his 10 games he still sucks. Quit whining. (if it wasnt you there were plenty that said in week 4 to give the guy 10-12 games. He will have had 12 and still suck.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Amen!

seesred

Reaction score
At the time he wqas benched regardless of our record the offense was not doing well. The main reason it was not doing well was Josh was playing poorly. His last start he accounted for a total of 90 yards. We had won only 4 games and Green had to see what else he had. Could we have won with Josh all the so called expert think yes. I've heard many people saying this season is Green's fault for benching Josh. Not so.

We lost to Atlanta 9-6 ! They were without Vick I think. We lost to SF in overtime . The first time because we couldn't move the ball with under 2 minutes to go the next time because we couldn't move the ball in the first half and had to play catch up. We lost to New England scoring only 7 points. I could go on and on. I'm glad he is doing well now. We will see if he keeps it up against seattle. I like him. It would be a draft savings if he can win this job and manage this team. I like his spirit. But benching him at that time was not much of a stretch.

GBR

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Do tell how we would have defeated the Bills and/or the Panthers on the Road with Josh at the helm.....please.

I want to look at the Giants and see how they've fared since their 5-2 starts in how many points they've given up per game: 28, 17, 14, 27, 31, 37, and 33 points. Can anyone guess which offensive dynamo scored the 17 points? Or which offensive dynamos scored the 31, 37 and 33 points? The Cards - who's offense had become unbearable to watch scored 17 points(for the second straight week on the heels of a 14 point game against Buffalo), yet the Redskins, Ravens and Steelers - all who's offenses have struggled to put up points lit up the scoreboard against the Giants.

He tried to make a move seeing the schedule getting much tougher - it didn't work out. It happens. Move on.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
seesred said:
We lost to Atlanta 9-6 ! They were without Vick I think.

Vick played the entire game at QB.

He was 10 of 20 passing for 115 yards. 1 Int and no TD. He had nine rushes for 68 yards.

seesred

Reaction score
Thanks .. Vick did play and how well did our D play that day? Josh didn't get it done on a sunday we should have won.

GBR

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really sure why this is still a question. Plain and simple, DG was not getting production from the quarterback position. Period.

Facts leading up to the CAR benching;

10/24 v SEA W 25-17 212 pass, 1 TD, 1 INT,
61.1% comp, 2 FumbL (4 Ints, Safety, holds Alexander to 57 yards)

10/31 @ BUF L 14-38 101 pass, 1 TD, 0 INT,
37.5% comp, 0 FumbL (Redzone D stunk. Weather a factor, although Bledsoe threw 2 Tds, 0 ints)

10/7 @ MIA W 24-23 162 pass, 1 TD, 0 INT,
58.1% comp, 0 FumbL (1 Int and TD for ARI D, we got help from refs)

11/14 v NYG W 17-14 90 pass, 0 TD, 0 INT,
50.0% comp, 1 FumbL (Defense won this game, holding NYG 15 yards in the 4th)

You can't simply say, "Josh won 3-4 leading up to CAR"; that is faulty logic. Look at how we won. Look at his performance.

If someone cares to convince me otherwise, I open to hearing it, otherwise understand that DG made the correct decision.

A-Bomb

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
abomb said:
Not really sure why this is still a question. Plain and simple, DG was not getting production from the quarterback position. Period.

Facts leading up to the CAR benching;

10/24 v SEA W 25-17 212 pass, 1 TD, 1 INT,
61.1% comp, 2 FumbL (4 Ints, Safety, holds Alexander to 57 yards)

10/31 @ BUF L 14-38 101 pass, 1 TD, 0 INT,
37.5% comp, 0 FumbL (Redzone D stunk. Weather a factor, although Bledsoe threw 2 Tds, 0 ints)

10/7 @ MIA W 24-23 162 pass, 1 TD, 0 INT,
58.1% comp, 0 FumbL (1 Int and TD for ARI D, we got help from refs)

11/14 v NYG W 17-14 90 pass, 0 TD, 0 INT,
50.0% comp, 1 FumbL (Defense won this game, holding NYG 15 yards in the 4th)

You can't simply say, "Josh won 3-4 leading up to CAR"; that is faulty logic. Look at how we won. Look at his performance.

If someone cares to convince me otherwise, I open to hearing it, otherwise understand that DG made the correct decision.

A-Bomb

To some of us that logic is so simple and clear it is confusing how one could not understand it. :shrug:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seesred said:
We lost to Atlanta 9-6 ! They were without Vick I think. We lost to SF in overtime . The first time because we couldn't move the ball with under 2 minutes to go the next time because we couldn't move the ball in the first half and had to play catch up. We lost to New England scoring only 7 points.

GBR

I agree with your point, but we lost to Atlanta 6-3 (the lowest scoring game in the NFL this year) and we lost to New England 23-12.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
I believe we would have had a good chance to beat Carolina if King did not start. The team was totally out of sync and commited a ton of false starts etc.--in my opinion--due to the lack of time with Shaun King. Shaun King is the reason Cards lost the game because of the rediculous amount of interceptions and fumbles. If McCown plays in that game 4th qtr. score probably would have been Pathers 14 and Cards 10--giving the Cards plenty of op. to win the game.

As far as Buffalo, That was before the bencing and it was a horrible game, but w's were still on the board.

Josh may have not played great, but he gave us a chance to win most weeks!

I agree that bottom line, the 2 49er loses are inexcusable, still I don't thing we should applaud Green for the 3 game benching.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
I

Josh played in buffalo. He had a hard time with the weather and said he learned to play in it. Seems he has to leanr every single situation. Just once Id liek to see him go into something new and do something good.

BTW red Vick played in the game against us. You must have missed that one entirely.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
While I wasnt for the McCown benching, how can you argue with it (then). Josh was not playing well, and the Defense was winning the games.

That said, I think Josh should have returned for the Detroit.

I think the benching has definately improved McCown's play, as McCown has been very good for the last 3 halfs (entire Rams game, 2nd half of 9ers game).

Hindsight is 20/20.

This year, Green gets a mulligan.

:cards:

:raccoon:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
I believe we would have had a good chance to beat Carolina if King did not start. The team was totally out of sync and commited a ton of false starts etc.--in my opinion--due to the lack of time with Shaun King. Shaun King is the reason Cards lost the game because of the rediculous amount of interceptions and fumbles. If McCown plays in that game 4th qtr. score probably would have been Pathers 14 and Cards 10--giving the Cards plenty of op. to win the game.

This is sheer madness. Did King give up 157 rushing yards to CAR, including 121 and 3 TDs to Nick FREAKING Goings?!? Our defense didnt make the trip to Carolina, plain and simple.

A-Bomb

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:

You are totally forgetting how badly our defense got rolled in that game. And, it's not like they had a bunch of short fields from King's turnovers either. Yeah, the o was bad, but I just can't see that game as a win with McCown. You have better arguments on the Jets and Lions game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:

As far as Buffalo, That was before the bencing and it was a horrible game, but w's were still on the board.

I agree that bottom line, the 2 49er loses are inexcusable, still I don't thing we should applaud Green for the 3 game benching.

There's the main flaw in your argument - no one is applauding Green for benching Josh - we are just saying we understood it. As far as the Carolina score being close with Josh in there - give me a break - we were down 14-0 before King started turning the ball over and only one of his turnovers led to points in the first half. We gave up 21 on D all by ourselves and seeing as how our Offense in the first half of road games had been averaging a WHOPPING 6 points (and that's with 14 points against the worst team in football thrown into the mix) in he first half - I think it's absolutely laughable to think that somehow, someway Josh is able to overcome a 21-6 halftime deficit on the road where the only team we had beaten all season or in the last two years was the second to worst team in the league this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard