What is a "burner", and why do we need one?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Is a burner = A wide receiver who run very fast, and can stretch a defense with the threat of a long ball ?

Cause I don't see where we lack in this department.

We got three guys who can stretch the field.

Furthermore you are not going to find a better deep threat than Larry Fitzgerald. You gotta be a moron to try and single cover Fitz on a deep pattern.

With all the holes to fill on this team I cannot believe we are not happy with our current wide recieving core.

You can have all the speed in the world, but if you don't catch the ball it is useless.

Peace
:thumbup:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Furthermore you are not going to find a better deep threat than Larry Fitzgerald. You gotta be a moron to try and single cover Fitz on a deep pattern.
huh? I didn't see a lot of deep patterns for Fitz last year and nobody is scared of Fitz on deep patterns.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Brandon Stokely is a burner and I think he demonstrated pretty well how that can change an offense. It makes the safety play deeper which opens the middle of the field for possession receivers and also gives the running back more space to run once he gets past the first level.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Is a burner = A wide receiver who run very fast, and can stretch a defense with the threat of a long ball ?

Cause I don't see where we lack in this department.

We got three guys who can stretch the field.

With all the holes to fill on this team I cannot believe we are not happy with our current wide recieving core.

You can have all the speed in the world, but if you don't catch the ball it is useless.

Peace

Just take a look at the Chiefs offense statistically before Eddie Kennison and the year after he got there and keep in mind the rest of the team was almost identical on that side of the ball.

Also keep in mind Eddie Kennison isn't all that good.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have a perfectly good stove-top burner in Bryant Johnson. He even comes with two big skillets.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
huh? I didn't see a lot of deep patterns for Fitz last year and nobody is scared of Fitz on deep patterns.

I wonder how the Rams Safties would respond to that.
:shrug:

Fitz can out jump any saftey.

A deep threat is a guy that can run down the field quickly for a long pass and then CATCH IT!

Fitz does both. Thus is a deep threat.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
I wonder how the Rams Safties would respond to that.

Fitz can out jump any saftey.

A deep threat is a guy that can run down the field quickly for a long pass and then CATCH IT!

Fitz does both. Thus is a deep threat.
Wow he can out jump safety for jump balls, I sure hope so. He's what 6'3 1/2? Deep threats are Harrison,Moss,Roy Williams,Chad Johnson,Andre Johnson and TO. Are you talking about the flea flicker against the Rams? thats called trick play. I have a question for you Rugby, do you consider Burress a deep threat? Cause I saw him outjump safeties for the ball too. Boldin and Fitz are possesion recievers not deep threats.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Wow he can out jump safety for jump balls, I sure hope so. He's what 6'3 1/2? Deep threats are Harrison,Moss,Roy Williams,Chad Johnson,Andre Johnson and TO. Are you talking about the flea flicker against the Rams? thats called trick play. I have a question for you Rugby, do you consider Burress a deep threat? Cause I saw him outjump safeties for the ball too. Boldin and Fitz are possesion recievers not deep threats.

Yeah....wow!

Oh yeah, what about the game they had against Seattle. 2 deep TD's to Fitz, and 1 deep TD to Boldin.

A catch for 60 yards is a catch for 60 yards.

I would like to see how many +40 catches Fitz had, especially in comparision to Roy Williams, Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, and Chad Johnson.

Andre Johnson is constantly out jumping safties and corner back. Same as Moss.

The reason I fight this is because I don't know where a "burner" would fit in, and the Cardinals are not going to get a guy like Harrison,Moss,Roy Williams,Chad Johnson,Andre Johnson and TO.

Maybe get some guy to return punts/ kick offs with some serious speed, but this is the least of our problems over this off season.

But that is just me.

Peace

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I saw Fitz beat about three guys and catch a 40yd pass in stride against Miami.

Dude has huge plays written all over him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
We have a perfectly good stove-top burner in Bryant Johnson. He even comes with two big skillets.

CLASSIC Vince.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The 3 receivers the Cards have are fine.

They just need a QB who can actually SEE and then deliver a decent pass to them when they are open.

Upgrage the QB position with a decent, intelligent one and Quan, Fitz and Johnson will be just fine. Whether that is Josh taking enough lecithin to generate some brain cell activity or via free agency/trade, that is a more important "need" IMO.

I like the trio we have at receiver.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would consider Muhsin Muhammad a "deep threat" and doubt very much that he's any faster than Fitzgerald.

If we "flip" Fiz's and Boldin's positions next season, I think this conversation about Fitz's ability to get separation will quickly end.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Yeah....wow!

Oh yeah, what about the game they had against Seattle. 2 deep TD's to Fitz, and 1 deep TD to Boldin.

A catch for 60 yards is a catch for 60 yards.

I would like to see how many +40 catches Fitz had, especially in comparision to Roy Williams, Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, and Chad Johnson.

Here you go 40+ yard passes 2004.

Fitz= 1 (Miami)
Roy Williams = 2
Chad Johnson =5 had 7 year before
Andre Johnson=3 had 4 year before
Marvin Harrison=3 averaged about 5 since 1999

Chad Johnson the irony is they switched to Carson Palmer because his arm would make Chad more effective downfield.

Roy Williams and Fitz were essentially the same in long passes 15 over 20, roy had 1 more over 40, both had several in the mid 30's. Roy averaged about 1.5 yards more per catch. Given both played hurt much of the year it's hard to say I'll stand by my pre draft comment that Roy would have been the better fit for our offense, but Fitz did play 16 games Roy only able to play 14 and that was one of the doubts on Roy, could he stay healthy?

I tried to look up numbers to support Conrad's comment about Kennison and the Chiefs but i gave up when I realized that Kennison, Green and Holmes all joined the Chiefs the same year 2001. Just impossible to separate out what happened after that was it Kennison, Green, Holmes or all 3?

but I do agree with Conrad's comment about keeping safeties off the LOS. the best example is Moss in 98 with the Vikings but obviously he's a one of a kind burner deep threat.

I'm a huge believer that we need a deep threat, hopefully it's BJ, so far I don't think he's that type of WR.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Here you go 40+ yard passes 2004.

Fitz= 1 (Miami)
Roy Williams = 2
Chad Johnson =5 had 7 year before
Andre Johnson=3 had 4 year before
Marvin Harrison=3 averaged about 5 since 1999

This is not necesarily indicitive of the WR when the Qb cannot see you.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
This is not necesarily indicitive of the WR when the Qb cannot see you.

Yeah comparing Roy to Fitz though we're talking about 2 QB's who were huge disappointments this year so I didn't think I needed to mention it. Obviously Carr, Palmer, and Manning have at least proven they can throw the ball downfield.

Funny I would have expected the 40 + numbers to be higher across the board with all the defensive holding penalties, the guys I looked up for Rugby that wasn't the case.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yeah comparing Roy to Fitz though we're talking about 2 QB's who were huge disappointments this year so I didn't think I needed to mention it. Obviously Carr, Palmer, and Manning have at least proven they can throw the ball downfield.

Funny I would have expected the 40 + numbers to be higher across the board with all the defensive holding penalties, the guys I looked up for Rugby that wasn't the case.

ugh I dream of taking Harrington to the prom after he signs here!

All seriousness I think he is a solid QB. Maybe he needs new scenery. Roy was out alot and Rogers is always out.

But your right I would expect more 40+ too. Seems that rookie on Green Bay is the only one having any trouble LOL

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
You can't have a deep threat without the threat of a running game. Look at Carolina to see all you need. During their Super Bowl run they relied heavily on the deep ball to Smith/Muhammad/Proehl. It would not have worked without the threat of Davis and later in the season Foster running the ball.

Watch the Patriots/Rams Super Bowl again for a lesson on what happens when you try and go deep but have no running game. The only difference was in that game the Rams lack of running game was a function of the play calling rather than talent.

You also need an offensive line that can buy enough time. Are we all forgetting Denny taking out the deep passes in preseason due to the line's inability to protect McCown on the deep plays? Offensive line may have improved but it's still only middle of the pack at best.

I'd rather see upgrades at pretty much any other position than WR at this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jerryp said:
You can't have a deep threat without the threat of a running game. Look at Carolina to see all you need. During their Super Bowl run they relied heavily on the deep ball to Smith/Muhammad/Proehl. It would not have worked without the threat of Davis and later in the season Foster running the ball.

Works both ways, you can't run if teams aren't worried about bringing their safeties up.

No question a better RB will help us though.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Everyone take a minute and think back to the games this year. Can you all picture the countless plays in your head where BJ was wide freaking open down the field and McCown threw it to Emmitt instead? Good now that your memory has cleared up, QUIT talking about how we need a new wide receiver and start talking about the RB,QB,Oline, and DB help this team really needs. God, if it was up to some of you guys we would have nine wide receiver sets.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This whole need for a burner crap is utter nonsense. Jake Reed and Cris Carter were two possession receivers and those Minnesota teams never had any problem scoring points before Moss got there. The lack of a vertical passing game was mostly the result of poor pass protection, zero threat of a running game, and consistently awful QB play.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Heucrazy said:
Everyone take a minute and think back to the games this year. Can you all picture the countless plays in your head where BJ was wide freaking open down the field and McCown threw it to Emmitt instead? Good now that your memory has cleared up, QUIT talking about how we need a new wide receiver and start talking about the RB,QB,Oline, and DB help this team really needs. God, if it was up to some of you guys we would have nine wide receiver sets.

Good Post, QB HB and some O-line help and these WR's will look great. Having a QB that can't read the field worth a crap will help 1000 times next year. McCown was scared too air out the ball, all that little dink dunk crap on 3rd and 10 sucked. I really wan't to see a guy who can QB, what he could do with the WR's.