What is a "burner", and why do we need one?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heucrazy said:
Everyone take a minute and think back to the games this year. Can you all picture the countless plays in your head where BJ was wide freaking open down the field and McCown threw it to Emmitt instead? Good now that your memory has cleared up, QUIT talking about how we need a new wide receiver and start talking about the RB,QB,Oline, and DB help this team really needs. God, if it was up to some of you guys we would have nine wide receiver sets.

I don't remember any of our guys "wide freaking open down the field" but if you keep claiming it often, people get tired of challenging it. Kind of like Bush saying Iraq was a theat to us. No real basis in reality but so what?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I don't remember any of our guys "wide freaking open down the field" but if you keep claiming it often, people get tired of challenging it. Kind of like Bush saying Iraq was a theat to us. No real basis in reality but so what?

icon14.gif
But that was the best information they both had at the time:biglaugh:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

:banned: take it to the P&R board.

j/k :)

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I don't remember any of our guys "wide freaking open down the field" ?

hmmm if I had the time or pateince Id chop up my game tapes and make about an hour long tape for you.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
This whole need for a burner crap is utter nonsense. Jake Reed and Cris Carter were two possession receivers and those Minnesota teams never had any problem scoring points before Moss got there. The lack of a vertical passing game was mostly the result of poor pass protection, zero threat of a running game, and consistently awful QB play.

1997 the Vikings scored 354 points, 11th in the NFL, Carter and Reed were the WR's, Brad Johnson the QB having beaten out Randall Cunningham but I'm pretty sure Cunningham ultimately won the starting job by year end.

1998 the Vikings scored 556 points, first in the NFL, alltime NFL record at the time(may still be), went from 9-7 to 15-1 in one year. Difference, well Cunningham was the starter and won the MVP award but the primary difference was a rookie WR named Randy moss who scored 17 TD's. 99 team fell back to 399 points, 397 in 2000 2001 everything went south they had only 290 Green left, Tice took over.

Were they good before Moss got there yes, they got as high as 4th in scoring without Moss, but the arrival of Moss turned that team into an offensive powerhouse.

We can be a good offense without a burner, no question, but if we were able to find one we'd be better.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got three guys who can stretch the field.
Problem is - they don't stretch the field (at least yet).

There's not a lot of explosion by any of the three separating from a defender, and you seldom find our guys getting behind coverage or outrunning all defenders after the catch.

Some of this can be taught. But some of it may (may!) be because neither Fitz, Q or BJ have blinding speed.

I'm not saying we should replace any of the three with a speed-guy, but I do think it would be helpful to add a fast, explosive weapon to our arsenal, both as a 4th receiver as well as a returner.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

What games were you watching? I will give you an example that is still fresh in your mind. During the Tampa game do you remember a play where McCown threw to a covered check down receiver on third down? Well not only was the ball not caught, if it was it wouldn't have been a first anyway. Well Fitz was "wide freaking open" by the goalline during that play. And Fitz stood at the spot where he was "wide freaking open" until the punting unit was completly on the field. Fitz just stood there shaking his head. That type of thing happened every single game.

But hey maybe we should take a WR with our first round pick? It couldn't have been McCown's fault, right?:rolleyes:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Is a burner = A wide receiver who run very fast, and can stretch a defense with the threat of a long ball ?

Cause I don't see where we lack in this department.

We got three guys who can stretch the field.

Furthermore you are not going to find a better deep threat than Larry Fitzgerald. You gotta be a moron to try and single cover Fitz on a deep pattern.

With all the holes to fill on this team I cannot believe we are not happy with our current wide recieving core.

You can have all the speed in the world, but if you don't catch the ball it is useless.

Peace
:thumbup:

Right you are. You can have all the speed in the world but you need the hands, the will, the ability to run precision routes, the smarts to recognize blitzes and break off a route early, the ability to take a hit, and perhaps some size to wrestle the ball away from defenders. "Burner" is an overused word. A good receiver is made up of many things and speed is just one of them. Randy Moss is a rare guy who has most of these things but is also an ass which does not help with the team concept. Good "TEAMS" still win football games with or without burners. New England seems to have grasped the TEAM concept very well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heucrazy said:
What games were you watching? I will give you an example that is still fresh in your mind. During the Tampa game do you remember a play where McCown threw to a covered check down receiver on third down? Well not only was the ball not caught, if it was it wouldn't have been a first anyway. Well Fitz was "wide freaking open" by the goalline during that play. And Fitz stood at the spot where he was "wide freaking open" until the punting unit was completly on the field. Fitz just stood there shaking his head. That type of thing happened every single game.

But hey maybe we should take a WR with our first round pick? It couldn't have been McCown's fault, right?:rolleyes:

I don't think anybody is advocating taking a speed WR in round one, we should have done that last year instead of Fitz, if Green had to have a WR, but that's old news and Fitz is going to be special anyways.

the point many are making is Quan, Fitz and BJ are all talented but all lack great speed, it'd be nice to have at least one guy who could really run.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I don't think anybody is advocating taking a speed WR in round one, we should have done that last year instead of Fitz, if Green had to have a WR, but that's old news and Fitz is going to be special anyways.

the point many are making is Quan, Fitz and BJ are all talented but all lack great speed, it'd be nice to have at least one guy who could really run.

Maybe I'm confused? I always thought that he was open because he was fast.:confused: Maybe it was because defenses ignored him, since he was a second or third option. And we all know what McCown does when his first option is covered. That's right checkdown receiver for 4 yards on third and 12.:mad:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heucrazy said:
Maybe I'm confused? I always thought that he was open because he was fast.:confused: Maybe it was because defenses ignored him, since he was a second or third option. And we all know what McCown does when his first option is covered. That's right checkdown receiver for 4 yards on third and 12.:mad:

I guess you mean BJ? He's our fastest probably but compared to most good NFL deep threats, he's not that fast, he lacks quickness it takes him too long to get up to full speed.

I would also bet I could count on one hand the number of times Johnson has been doubled in his 2 year NFL career.

A developing player no question, but he's more of a possession WR who can occasionally get deep than a deep threat.IMHO of course, but he has 84 catches in his career and only 9 of them have been longer than 20 yards and only 3 longer than 40.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I guess you mean BJ? He's our fastest probably but compared to most good NFL deep threats, he's not that fast, he lacks quickness it takes him too long to get up to full speed.

I would also bet I could count on one hand the number of times Johnson has been doubled in his 2 year NFL career.

A developing player no question, but he's more of a possession WR who can occasionally get deep than a deep threat.IMHO of course, but he has 84 catches in his career and only 9 of them have been longer than 20 yards and only 3 longer than 40.

Damn! :doofus:

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
IMO a burner is typically not the biggest or strongest WR on the team. I think they are the X-Factor of the offense. Randle El, Stockley, and when he was with the Rams, Hakim. The way I see it, in the right offense they're great, but will never be a #1. A couple of guys in the draft have burner potential. I like Chad Owens out of Hawaii. The kid can return kicks, punts, and could be extremely dangerous in a three or four wide set. A burner is someone that can stretch the field and stretch it FAST. He also doesn't garner much attention because he's not in every play and isn't lined up as a #1 or 2. He makes plays when plays need to be made but is also a utility player.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
john h said:
Right you are. You can have all the speed in the world but you need the hands, the will, the ability to run precision routes, the smarts to recognize blitzes and break off a route early, the ability to take a hit, and perhaps some size to wrestle the ball away from defenders. "Burner" is an overused word. A good receiver is made up of many things and speed is just one of them. Randy Moss is a rare guy who has most of these things but is also an ass which does not help with the team concept. Good "TEAMS" still win football games with or without burners. New England seems to have grasped the TEAM concept very well.

NE has Branch, a burner. He stretches the field and allows the O to operate.

NYJets have a burner, S. Moss. He stretched the field and basically beat US this yr.

We have three posesion type recievers, who can get deep on occasion. That's why I was pressing for the most expendable one, Johnson to be moved for a RB (Henry), and to draft either M. Williams or B. Edwards with our pick. Depends if they measure out in the combines speed wise, but I think they can stretch the field very well and we know they are talented recievers as well. Johnson is adaquate, they could be supperior.

A truely effective O nowadays needs that special 1 or 2 (3rd and 4th) recievers who can clear the safties and get the occasional bomb.

And you don't necessarily have to burn a #1 to get him. But if he's staring you in the face?!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
john h said:

what the hell does the team concept have to do with the effect of a speed burner? deion branch and bethel johnson are two of the fastest players in the league. the open up the running game for dillon and the underneath routes for givins and their te's.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
what the hell does the team concept have to do with the effect of a speed burner? deion branch and bethel johnson are two of the fastest players in the league. the open up the running game for dillon and the underneath routes for givins and their te's.

Agreed.

But Bethel Johnson, and Deion Branch is more obtainable than some of the so called "Burners" listed about like TO, and Chad Johnson.

No need to give up one of our WR in order to get someone who can just run fast.
:thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1