What I Would Do

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Arrive at an injury settlement with Kevin Kolb---whatever that entails. He should retire a rich and healthy man. That's fine. Experiment rerailed and let's move on.

2. Mold this team around John Skelton as the starting QB---which make me far less nervous about the offensive line because as Skelton has shown he will take off when the occasion presents itself, but most of the time he will define the pocket and stay comfortably in it.

3. Get Fitz to restructure his contract---not the o-linemen. We need some key parts and we need some added cap space to get it done.

4. As of this moment---sign RT Kareem McKenzie and groom either D'Anthony Batiste (whom I think is a lot better than most fans realize) or D.J. Young to be the heir apparent in a year or two.

5. As much as I have appreciated Adrian Wilson's passion and loyalty to the organization, because the defensive scheme has changed and his skills don't translate snugly into it, we need to trade him to the Baltimore Ravens for a 4th round draft pick.

6. Trade Kerry Rhodes for a 6th or a 7th.

7. Trade Beanie Wells and the #13 pick to the Bengals for their #17, #53 and #116 picks. They have their eye on a player at #13 and tbey need another RB.

8. Sign QB Dennis Dixon as the #3.

9. Draft the following:

1. Mark Barron, S, Alabama. THE perfect fit for Horton's defense and our Troy Polamalu.

2. Doug Martin, RB, Boise St. Fits the system to a tee. A true triple threat.

3. Brandon Boykin, CB/KOR, Georgia. Dynamite addition. Will hound and harass the slot and be a KO and STs demon.

4. Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa. One of the best kept secrets in this draft. A sure #2 if there ever was one.

5. Danny Coale, Slot WR, Virginia Tech. Say hello to the next Wes Welker.

6. Matt Conrath, 34DE, Virginia. Another 6'7-6'8 DE who is active and blocks kicks.

7. Ryan Davis, OLB, Bethune Cookman. Compares in some ways to Ryan Kerrigan. Credit the Cardinal scouts for finding him.

8. Lance Nix, G, Pittsburgh. Big and nasty---vastly overlooked in this draft.

9. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise St. What a coup, grabbing both Martin and Moore. Moore fits the system and is a high completion, drive you down the field winner, despite his lack of size and arm strength.

10. Ronnie Cameron, DT, Old Dominion. Fierce, relentless...under the radar because he played in THT's league.

11.. Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota St. Former SDSU basketball player who runs like the wind and catches with ease. A project with tremendous upside.

That's about it---my biggest regret?

Not finding a way to draft Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska. I absolutely love this kid. On the smallish side, but so were Navarro Bowman and Will Witherspoon...and as much as I watched of tape on those two, I have to say Lavonte David blows them both away. Bo Pellini, the Nebraska head coach said that he would take David over any LB in the country---and honestly his tapes prove why, This kid is a star.

OK---this is my last mock of what I would do, because after all the tapes I've watched, for right or for wrong, this is the best I've got.

If you want to see what I think the Cardinals will do---check out the Cardinal Mock competition at the sticky top of page, I have posted it there.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1. Arrive at an injury settlement with Kevin Kolb---whatever that entails. He should retire a rich and healthy man. That's fine. Experiment rerailed and let's move on.

I think you've got to give him this year at least. A full schedule in the system. If it doesn't work out now.....then see ya! :wave:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
4. As of this moment---sign RT Kareem McKenzie and groom either D'Anthony Batiste (whom I think is a lot better than most fans realize) or D.J. Young to be the heir apparent in a year or two.

I think McKenzie is pretty much toast. No better than what we presently have. I'd rather have Snyder play over there than him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch: In other words, blow up the roster?

Are you inferring we can't make it to the playoffs or further with the current players and draft picks we've got?

Also - aren't you jumping to conclusions about Kolb's concussion? He's said that he continued to have symptoms 3 weeks into the off-season but that he feels fine now. Granted, he's gonna say what he's gonna say, but isn't it reasonable that he is as likely to be leveling with everyone as he is blowing smoke?

I have a natural bias against making sweeping changes. Continuity counts for something.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
5. As much as I have appreciated Adrian Wilson's passion and loyalty to the organization, because the defensive scheme has changed and his skills don't translate snugly into it, we need to trade him to the Baltimore Ravens for a 4th round draft pick.

Wow, I don't know what to say about this. It's not going to happen is about all.

He has deficiencies for sure but I go another year with him because the overall D played well at the end of the year and Wilson finally got a little healthier.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch: In other words, blow up the roster?

Are you inferring we can't make it to the playoffs or further with the current players and draft picks we've got?

Also - aren't you jumping to conclusions about Kolb's concussion? He's said that he continued to have symptoms 3 weeks into the off-season but that he feels fine now. Granted, he's gonna say what he's gonna say, but isn't it reasonable that he is as likely to be leveling with everyone as he is blowing smoke?

I have a natural bias against making sweeping changes. Continuity counts for something.

Jeff---tell me this---didn't he have 7 million reasons to feel fine right now?

I am guessing that he was as surprised as many of us were that the Cardinals signed over the $7M check. For what? 1 1/2 quarters of decent football?

Speaking of 7, how many players do you know of felt debilitating concussion symptoms for 7 weeks?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think McKenzie is pretty much toast. No better than what we presently have. I'd rather have Snyder play over there than him.

Hardly---the guy is a winner---he got dinged the last part of the season---he's the perfect stop-gap for a year or two. Get it done!

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

2. Mold this team around John Skelton as the starting QB---which make me far less nervous about the offensive line because as Skelton has shown he will take off when the occasion presents itself, but most of the time he will define the pocket and stay comfortably in it.

3. Get Fitz to restructure his contract---not the o-linemen. We need some key parts and we need some added cap space to get it done.

7. Trade Beanie Wells and the #13 pick to the Bengals for their #17, #53 and #116 picks. They have their eye on a player at #13 and tbey need another RB.

8. Sign QB Dennis Dixon as the #3.

9. Draft the following:

1. Mark Barron, S, Alabama. THE perfect fit for Horton's defense and our Troy Polamalu.

2. Doug Martin, RB, Boise St. Fits the system to a tee. A true triple threat.

3. Brandon Boykin, CB/KOR, Georgia. Dynamite addition. Will hound and harass the slot and be a KO and STs demon.

4. Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa. One of the best kept secrets in this draft. A sure #2 if there ever was one.

6. Matt Conrath, 34DE, Virginia. Another 6'7-6'8 DE who is active and blocks kicks.

7. Ryan Davis, OLB, Bethune Cookman. Compares in some ways to Ryan Kerrigan. Credit the Cardinal scouts for finding him.

9. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise St. What a coup, grabbing both Martin and Moore. Moore fits the system and is a high completion, drive you down the field winner, despite his lack of size and arm strength.

10. Ronnie Cameron, DT, Old Dominion. Fierce, relentless...under the radar because he played in THT's league.

11.. Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota St. Former SDSU basketball player who runs like the wind and catches with ease. A project with tremendous upside.

That's about it---my biggest regret?

Not finding a way to draft Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska. I absolutely love this kid. On the smallish side, but so were Navarro Bowman and Will Witherspoon...and as much as I watched of tape on those two, I have to say Lavonte David blows them both away. Bo Pellini, the Nebraska head coach said that he would take David over any LB in the country---and honestly his tapes prove why, This kid is a star.

OK---this is my last mock of what I would do, because after all the tapes I've watched, for right or for wrong, this is the best I've got.

If you want to see what I think the Cardinals will do---check out the Cardinal Mock competition at the sticky top of page, I have posted it there.
no...

HELL NO!!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff---tell me this---didn't he have 7 million reasons to feel fine right now?

I am guessing that he was as surprised as many of us were that the Cardinals signed over the $7M check. For what? 1 1/2 quarters of decent football?

Speaking of 7, how many players do you know of felt debilitating concussion symptoms for 7 weeks?
It doesn't matter whether he has 7-million or 7-trillion reasons. We don't know whether he feels fine or not. For all we know, he may be one of those guys who feel they already have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their life and have something to prove - to themselves and the world.

Or not. The point is - we don't know, and it's wrong to assume we do.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, for your passion and knowledge the Cardinals should select You, for their front office. You'd have RG's head spinning within a week.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You know that D'Anthony Batiste is going to be 31 or 32 in "a year or two," right? Whatever "grooming" has to be done with him at this point likely includes clipping ear hair and combing in Just For Men.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Thanks for the read Mitch.

With that said....... I hate all but 2 sentences of the entire thing.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
1. Arrive at an injury settlement with Kevin Kolb---whatever that entails. He should retire a rich and healthy man. That's fine. Experiment rerailed and let's move on. He's been paid $7M this year, he only has $1M left to be paid this season. We've moved on...with Kolb. Not sure why you are unwilling to do so. Even if Skelton beats him out, he would be a more than servicable backup for $1M.

3. Get Fitz to restructure his contract---not the o-linemen. We need some key parts and we need some added cap space to get it done. Yup, let's push his money off until other years so we can sign scrap heap free agents. Why don't you just trade him for a song like the rest of the team?

4. As of this moment---sign RT Kareem McKenzie and groom either D'Anthony Batiste (whom I think is a lot better in one preseason series that you are rememberingthan most fans realize and older than you might realize) or D.J. Young to be the heir apparent in a year or two.

5. As much as I have appreciated Adrian Wilson's passion and loyalty to the organization, because the defensive scheme has changed and his skills don't translate snugly into it, we need to trade him to the Baltimore Ravens for a 4th round draft pick. Right, let's trade the soul of the team. Don't talk about appreciating Wilson when you are giving him away for a 4th rounder, because that's not appreciation. This square peg fit pretty well in the round hole last year.

7. Trade Beanie Wells and the #13 pick to the Bengals for their #17, #53 and #116 picks. They have their eye on a player they do? Who is it? at #13 and tbey need another RB. You realize Beanie has almost no cap hit the next 2 years. And he is a perfect compliment for your build around Skelton philosophy, a hard nosed runner.

Who else should we trade on your fantasy team?

8. Sign QB Dennis Dixon as the #3. That's decent

9. Draft the following:

1. Mark Barron, S, Alabama. THE perfect fit for Horton's defense and our Troy Polamalu. Since you traded down from #13 to 17, Barron just got picked by the Cowboys at #14 or the Eagles at #15. Whoops!

"The grass is always greener"

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Got to hand it to you, you always find some unknowns in the draft. Maybe some will get a shot somewhere.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So your solution for making this team a contender is basically to:

~Cut the starting QB

~Trade both of our starting safties

~Trade our #1 Running Back

~Sign a QB who does not fit the offensive scheme, at all (Dixon)

and....

~Roll the dice with practice squad tackles on the offensive line

You execute these moves, it'd be telling the coaches, remaining players, and fan base you've already given up on the 2012 season (in April, mind you) when the team was 8-8 the previous season.

One step forward, two steps back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know that D'Anthony Batiste is going to be 31 or 32 in "a year or two," right? Whatever "grooming" has to be done with him at this point likely includes clipping ear hair and combing in Just For Men.

lol... good one.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch, I think someone has been using your account. Really? This is crazy. You normally make so much sense. Wilson, Wells and Rhodes are going nowhere.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I do not buy it Mitch because a majority of your picks are coming with the expectations that they will all do what you think and we all know draft picks will seldom all work. I certainly would not trade Beanie after he played well through a injury and I would not approach Fitz to restructure his contract after Johnson got that big contract from the Lions, out of respect for Larry. Wilson was also playing pretty dang good towards the end as he started to understand his role and it would crush the leadership and heart of this defense to lose him. I do see the reasons with Kolb and would go along with that

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I have some serious concerns about the Cardinals roster, but to contemplate this kind of radical make-over after two years of rebuilding takes us right back to starting all over again in that process. No thanks!

We give Kevin Kolb an entire offseason to learn Whis' offense and live or die with the guy THIS year. If he doesn't cut the mustard this year, we cut him next year and start over. But after giving the guy $7 million there is NO way we should cut him now. He would be have to be crazy to give back any of that $7 million.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm as down on Kolb as anyone, but I agree. Cutting him at this point is... pointless. They'd have to restructure more contracts just to make room for the cap impact of dumping him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
So your solution for making this team a contender is basically to:

~Cut the starting QB

~Trade both of our starting safties

~Trade our #1 Running Back

~Sign a QB who does not fit the offensive scheme, at all (Dixon)

and....

~Roll the dice with practice squad tackles on the offensive line

You execute these moves, it'd be telling the coaches, remaining players, and fan base you've already given up on the 2012 season (in April, mind you) when the team was 8-8 the previous season.

One step forward, two steps back.

Explanations/Clarifications:

1. Kevin Kolb: For right or for wrong, it would not surprise me at all if he is having serious thoughts about whether he should risk another concussion and the long-term debilitating effects that could ensue. The two hints of this as far as I can perceive are (1) that he was in communication with the Cardinals' doctors about the lingering symptoms he suffered for another 3-4 after the season---which on the one hand seems proper, but on the other hand, especially with all the speculation about the Cardinals' interest in Peyton Manning, Kolb was making his situation regarding the decision of whether to pay him the $7M roster bonus all the more questionable in light of his medical issues; (2) it makes almost no sense that after receiving the $7M---which is practically as much as the entire coaching staff will make this year---that he would publicly air his frustration with Ken Whisenhunt. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. One would think Kolb would be relieved and grateful to have the Cardinals maintain their investment in him.

Plus, it was the manner in which Kolb talked about the Whisenhunt situation---his tone was kind of like a "I set him straight" type tone. Whisenhunt abhors the airing of dirty laundry---so this HAS to pique him a great deal, especially from a player whom the organization had blind faith in and gave so much to, all for very very little in return thus far.

The excuse made for Kolb is that he didn't have an entire off-season---but hey, a handful of rookie QBs played better than Kolb did---a few even taking their teams to the playoffs---and they were in their first training camps ever.

Maybe I am wrong, but my hunch is that Kolb doesn't really want to play and that if he does he will be all the more skittish---therefore, my thought was to offer him an injury settlement to see if the team could at least reduce or eliminate the $6M future cap hits---

What we don't know for sure is whether Kolb received his guaranteed $10M in full last year---we do know that for cap purposes it was scheduled to be pro-rated over the course of the five years at $2M per. What I wonder is---if Kolb and his agent would be willing to accept the recent $7M as the remainder of the original signing bonus---

Regardless, please hear me correctly on this---if I am wrong and Kolb really wants to play and feels he can stand strong in the pocket and deliver what the offense needs him to do, then at this point it would be ridiculous to cut him. So I was not suggesting that.

2. Trading the safeties and Beanie Wells---all three are not good fits for the system. I am not saying they are bad players---in fact, all three are good enough that they still have trade value.

I have explained previously what Ray Horton wants and needs from his safeties. Neither Wilson nor Rhodes would start for Dick LeBeau because neither is versatile or disciplined enough to perform the roles. If LeBeau had Wilson and Rhodes to work with, he would use Wilson as a situational box blitzer or underneath cover man. Rhodes would be a backside nickel safety at best.

For the money they are making---if they are not the right fit and you could draft a player in Mark Barron who could be your version of Troy Polamalu---you then wouldn't want to embarrass Wilson by starting a rookie in front of him.

The defense played much better last season when Porter and Rhodes went out---a coincidence?

As for Beanie Wells, he has been up and down as a runner due to injuries and fumbles...but he struggles as a blocker and a receiver. A trio of Ryan Williams, Doug Martin and Hyphen would fit the system in that all three of them are swift, quick runners who can catch the ball.

In Cincinnati, Wells would be a good fit for their system (a more traditional running attack and scheme) as a first and second down back.

3. I think Dennis Dixon can fit the system and offer some good mobility in the process. But signing him is for insurance anyway, because the young QB I drafted, Kellen Moore, to me is a great fit in the system because of his uncanny accuracy in the short and intermediate zones...and his penchant for throwing timed routes.

4. How is signing RT Kareem McKenzie "rolling the dice on practice squad tackles"?

I said the Cardinals could groom Batiste or D.J. Young (whom the coaches are very high on---and is one of the reasons why they may not draft a tackle in the middle rounds because they will feel that Young is better anyway) as possible future starters...but the starters would be Brown, Colledge, Sendlein, Snyder and McKenzie---all of whom, save Snyder, have Super Bowl experience---and Snyder is fresh off an NFC Championship experience.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn