Six picks…what do you want.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As things stand right now we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Without considering names or depth of each position in the draft, what “ holes” would you fill?

For the sake of continuity base your opinion on the assumption Kyler is our starting qb in 2024.

I would like to see:
A CB
A RB
An OT
Two d- linemen
A wr preferably over 5’10”
Hope we don't go RB in top six. Rather have an ILB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I want a #1 WR, OT (assuming we can dump Humphries), 2 CBs (that room is the biggest weakness on the team, and a D Lineman.

MJH, Verse, Fuaga, Abrams-Draine,Newton

Fuaga would also be a monster of a LG if we decide to keep Humphries another year, although I'd prefer to dump him
No point in dumping Humphries until you have a better option on the roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jeremiah Trotter Jr in round 3 wouldn't be terrible. I am very open to the idea of grabbing a RB or LB in round 3 if a decent player is there.

One area I will give Monti credit for in his first draft is that he drafted pretty an entire draft of players who can stick on most 53 man rosters. Now he has to show he can draft premium talent along with continuing to fill out the roster.

If you want another Garrett Williams type player, drafting Zak Zinter somewhere could be a great option for the Cardinals. I don't believe his broken leg will prohibit him from having a pro career.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have needs all across the roster. I'd like to see them continue to build this team from the inside out. So with the top six picks I would like help added along the DL/Edge and OL. Also a WR and CB at some point early in the draft would be wise as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One area I will give Monti credit for in his first draft is that he drafted pretty an entire draft of players who can stick on most 53 man rosters. Now he has to show he can draft premium talent along with continuing to fill out the roster.

Did he? Kei'Trel Clark had zero defensive snaps for the worst unit in the NFL last week. Owen Pappoe is exactly the kind of guy who gets replaced in two seasons by another late-round pick.

I think this is the kind of thing you say about almost rookie class and then we look back in 24 months and say it was pretty average. Especially about the prospects who are struggling to find playing time on literally the worst defense in the NFL. Yes, if another team had drafted them, they would have made the 53 in their rookie year, probably.

Except for Clayton Tune. Real Nathan Peterman vibes on that guy.

The Cardinals have needs all across the roster. I'd like to see them continue to build this team from the inside out. So with the top six picks I would like help added along the DL/Edge and OL. Also a WR and CB at some point early in the draft would be wise as well.

I'm getting less and less sure that draft status matters much when it comes to CB. The best pass defense in the NFL by QB rating against is Cleveland, and they're top starters are a 3rd round pick and a late first round pick.

Put a feisty group of pass rushers on the front line, and your entire secondary looks better.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick mock I did on PFF:

You must be registered for see images attach

Harrison was a smash pick.

I'm a big Latham fan. Love his physical style of play. The Cardinals can move him inside to LG and eventually move him to RT when they move on from Humphries.

Sweat is a monster of a man in the middle of the DL. He will clog the middle for years to come. He can also collapse the pocket. Sweat would instantly be part of the DL Rotation particularly on run downs.

Byron Murphy II is Sweats teammate and will help bolster the DL rotation.

Caelen Carson is a physical corner who is also strong in run support

Javon Bullard provides depth behind Budda.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting less and less sure that draft status matters much when it comes to CB. The best pass defense in the NFL by QB rating against is Cleveland, and they're top starters are a 3rd round pick and a late first round pick.

Put a feisty group of pass rushers on the front line, and your entire secondary looks better.
yes I totally agree. I was referring to day 2 as a spot to snag CB.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ENOUGH with the safties and corners

This team needs lineman on defense and offense

I agree that the team needs help on both lines. Hence why in my mock above I took an OL in the 1st, a NT in the 2nd and a DE in the 3rd. The Cardinals also have a bunch more picks on day 3 that they can use to add additional depth at those positions.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'm a big Latham fan. Love his physical style of play. The Cardinals can move him inside to LG and eventually move him to RT when they move on from Humphries.

I really like this general approach: a tackle that can also be a guard at first.

The 20th pick overall will have about a $2.7mm cap hit. Cheap enough that if the OL you create next year is super effective -- you can repeat it in 2024 before moving him to RT.

Fuaga of Oregon St. and Fautanu of Wash fit this bill as well.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did he? Kei'Trel Clark had zero defensive snaps for the worst unit in the NFL last week. Owen Pappoe is exactly the kind of guy who gets replaced in two seasons by another late-round pick.

I think this is the kind of thing you say about almost rookie class and then we look back in 24 months and say it was pretty average. Especially about the prospects who are struggling to find playing time on literally the worst defense in the NFL. Yes, if another team had drafted them, they would have made the 53 in their rookie year, probably.

Couldn’t agree more on CBs… such a crap shoot in taking any not named Sauce Gardner in the early rounds. Seem there are a ton of successful DBs taken in the middle rounds.

Reactions: PJ1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

CB is one of those positions I think the sweet spot is around round three and you take a later round corner as well, nearly every year.

I love taking guards, off ball LBs, and TEs around round 4ish.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It seems MHJ is the consensus pick.
1. MHJ
2. The biggest , baddest, d-line, edge or o- lineman

if MHJ is gone
1.Trade down SLIGHTLY, biggest baddest, d-line, edge, or o-lineman
2. Wr.

It's BRUTAL because Will Anderson was the consensus pick last year and Monti traded down. We all fell in line, but I think odds are extremely close Monti trades down again vs drafting MJH. Staying put at #3 and drafting someone else are long odds for me.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It's BRUTAL because Will Anderson was the consensus pick last year and Monti traded down. We all fell in line, but I think odds are extremely close Monti trades down again vs drafting MJH. Staying put at #3 and drafting someone else are long odds for me.
this draft on the board will be extra if that happens

i can live with the move because the comp was good AND Will Anderson was described as a very good but not great prospect.

OTOH: Harrison has been described as a great prospect -- the best WR across several drafts.

what i wonder about and trading down:

Is MHJ to Nabers like.... Fitz to Roy Williams, or, AJ Green to Julio Jones

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I will say regarding Will Anderson is that I loved Will coming out, still do, still believe he’s going to have a great NFL career.

However, difference between him & MHJR is that MHJR is being billed as the WR prospect since Megatron(or Ja’Marr in some cases) & the best overall prospect in the 2024 class. Will was basically fighting against Jalen Carter as the best overall prospect in the 2023 class. Will also wasn’t seen a Myles Garrett/Von Miller type of prospect.

It’ll be a lot more alarming if Monti trades away from MHJR than he did Will & a lot less forgiving.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing I will say regarding Will Anderson is that I loved Will coming out, still do, still believe he’s going to have a great NFL career.

However, difference between him & MHJR is that MHJR is being billed as the WR prospect since Megatron(or Ja’Marr in some cases) & the best overall prospect in the 2024 class. Will was basically fighting against Jalen Carter as the best overall prospect in the 2023 class. Will also wasn’t seen a Myles Garrett/Von Miller type of prospect.

It’ll be a lot more alarming if Monti trades away from MHJR than he did Will & a lot less forgiving.
If MHJR is all that, I would be shocked he’s on the board at #3. If he is #1 on our board it’s a no brainer.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. I can see the Bears sticking with Fields, drafting MHJ and Alt.
The question is IF MHJ is still there is he worth more than an additional 2-3 picks and an alternative wr?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
We have to take at least 1 CB...if not 2 in this draft. We have the worst CB situation in the entire league. Im fine getting 1 in FA, but we have to draft a guy that can play next year.
Disagree

Williams is our starter next year along with someone like hamilton or another FA. We also have 2 bonafide safties. Leave the DB room alone and build up the DLine and Oline

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I guess.

Pappoe played 61% of ST snaps. That matters IMO. If he can replace Zeke Turner...awesome.

Clark has had an up and down year but I don't feel he has played terrible.

Tune is a backup QB project.

Maybe the fact we haven't cut these guys outright means less because our roster is so bad.