What Are the Cards Looking for From Murray’s Start?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The first element is leadership. The second is comfort with playing under center. Can Murray rally the troops? Is he composed under pressure? Can he use the pocket when it’s there? Fair or not Murray has previously exhibited a lack of composure, like the end zone throw in the Rams playoff game. When a viable pocket doesn’t form, how does he respond?

Gannon is a big believer that playing under center offers more offensive options. It especially enhances play action. Murray has little non-practice experience with this system. He has looked okay in practice, but how will he respond to game pressure? Will he simply cut and run? Will he hang in the pocket and shift to create throwing lanes or will he get a ton of passes batted down? Can he rollout through traffic and throw with accuracy? Can he read defenses and call the correct audibles? Will he use progressions or throw to his first read regardless of coverage?

What don’t they care much about? They don’t really care about winning games. They would like to see a more functional offense. They’d also like to see if the players wanted to help Murray establish himself as the QB now and in the future. Murray often previously seemed disengaged from the other players when they were off the field. Will he now make those players feel they are all in this together? Will he keep his focus on how to go forward, not just on things that have gone wrong? The coaches expect quite a few things to go wrong. Will there be improvement game to game? Can Murray avoid getting frustrated if he piles up some losses? Will he keep his focus positive in the face of unfair fan criticism that will expect too much? Has the adversity of being injured given Murray the opportunity to mature? Can he see the big picture of where the team is headed and most importantly buy in to the required sacrifice? Can he see if he is the QB of the future that the team has positioned itself to build outstanding strength going forward? Has he examined the career of Troy Aikman, for example? They have much in common though Aikman was a rookie.

As a fan I recommend you focus on progress not the score. Realize if Murray succeeds this is a tremendous opportunity to accelerate the rebuild. This is shaping up to be at least a solid draft. The Cards’ future and Murray’s have never been more closely linked. Murray is a great athlete. Whether he can become a great QB for the Cardinals is what the next couple of months will determine!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good write up

So many questions to answer from KM

I certainly hope he takes advantage of the situation and puts in the hard work to improve

But with Oline and potentially plays backups at LT and RG he may be forced back to his old habits with no time to throw

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The under center obsession is entirely fan-driven. See for yourself.

Cards have run 169 of 550 offensive snaps from under center. 31% of the time.

When the Cards ARE under center, they run the ball 75% of the time.

The Arizona Cardinals are worse passing from under center (59.8 passer rating) than from shotgun (79.6 passer rating). They're also worse rushing from under center (3.8 YPA) than they are from shotgun (5.9 YPA).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The under center obsession is entirely fan-driven. See for yourself.

Cards have run 169 of 550 offensive snaps from under center. 31% of the time.

When the Cards ARE under center, they run the ball 75% of the time.

The Arizona Cardinals are worse passing from under center (59.8 passer rating) than from shotgun (79.6 passer rating). They're also worse rushing from under center (3.8 YPA) than they are from shotgun (5.9 YPA).
This is where Petzing will need to grow.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good write up

So many questions to answer from KM

I certainly hope he takes advantage of the situation and puts in the hard work to improve

But with Oline and potentially plays backups at LT and RG he may be forced back to his old habits with no time to throw
OL will be a BIG part of the answer.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s what I don’t want to see. I don’t want helter skelter. I want Kyler to run the offense the way it was being run ( with Connor) and take advantage of play action.
I don’t want to see no huddle.
I don’t want to see Kyler throwing the ball 47 times…unless we are just rolling up the score.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If they're trying to figure out how Kyler will handle tough situations they couldn't have set a better stage - under Center or not Kyler Murray better bring his track shoes this week - pocket shmocket

Thing is I think he has a good shot at handling it - he doesn't have to scramble to get firsts - better to scramble buying time to throw for the first - ultimately providing optimal option conditions

Kyler Murray doesn't need to survive the blitz - he needs to punish it

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
OL will be a BIG part of the answer.
No. Kyler gets no excuses at this point. He himself must show out as the QB of the future. Bad OL/injured OL? Adapt and overcome. This isn't to say we expect superstar play, or even wins, but he has to show out as "the guy." If he sucks the rest of the season we're not passing on a new QB because of the OL.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Taking care of the football is priority #1. No bad INTs, and don't put it on the turf.

Then:
1. Build in-game timing with his WRs/TEs.
2. Lead the offense/make the correct calls at the LOS.
3. Hurt the ATL defense with his legs.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Taking care of the football is priority #1. No bad INTs, and don't put it on the turf.

Then:
1. Build in-game timing with his WRs/TEs.
2. Lead the offense/make the correct calls at the LOS.
3. Hurt the ATL defense with his legs.
I’m given to understand there won’t initially be many planned runs.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I’m given to understand there won’t initially be many planned runs.

I definitely can see it happening either way Harry and I won't be shocked if they don't run him more than once or twice.

But ultimately, he has to use his elite mobility as a weapon. It's what separates him from an Hebert or K. Cousins.

We need 2020 Murray rushing wise. - 819 yards total, 6.2 a carry, and 11 TDs.

It's devastating to opposing defenses. Demoralizing. And it makes us lethal in the red zone.

Anyway, appreciate all the content you provide and hope you've been well lately.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need 2020 Murray rushing wise. - 819 yards total, 6.2 a carry, and 11 TDs.

It's devastating to opposing defenses. Demoralizing. And it makes us lethal in the red zone.
I agree that it was devestating and would love to see it - but I think 2020 Murray was already retired in 2021, and we'll never see that guy again.

2021 Murray with had 30 yards per game at 4.8 per rush, and I suspect that would be a good, perhaps ambitious, goal for 2023.

2022 Murray with 38 yards per game at 6.2 per rush might be the best we'll see again in his career, perhaps when he's another year removed from his ACL tear.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson