Week 9 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 3/04/24-3/10/24

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hell yeah Caleb is a better prospect than Stroud was. So is Drake Maye.

Stroud had a phenomenal supporting cast and coaching year one. That definitely helps to make a young QB look pretty good.
He said better not better prospect. Stroud has established himself as one of the best young QBs. But go ahead and try and downgrade what he did. Right now I’ll take stroud over all these guys. And I was NOT stroud fan when he came out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I meant as a prospect coming out before game play they ever snapped in the NFL.

I think that Caleb can become a better QB than Stroud, but I think Stroud is already top 7-8QB in the league so that would be hard to beat rigth away.
Appreciate the clarification. Would you take stroud now or one of these guys? I am not impressed with this class.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bull. If they think the rookie is possibly better they will take him - not to mention the financial benefits of a rookie contract. That does not mean they think Fields sucks, because he obviously doesn't.

I really don't like this black and white thinking.

Fields has a certain value, Caleb Williams has a certain value, and the picks they get for trading the number 1 pick has a value.

If Fields + the picks > Caleb to the Bears they will make the deal.
Lol… ok.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year perhaps Baker had leverage over the Cardinals - if they cut him on the heels of a horrible season and an offseason that hadn't moved the needle in a positive way, it diminish optimism for the future.

But this season, given the glutted market for safeties, Baker's failure to be a difference maker in 2023, and the shift of emphasis on safeties around the league, the Cardinals have leverage. If they cut Baker now, there are a lot of other good safeties who could be had for less.

If they want to keep him since he's one of the few "faces of the franchise", and assuming that forcing him to take a pay cut a year after giving him a raise would set a sour tone entering free agency, perhaps they could "commit to him" by extending him at a much lower rate, to spread his salary cap hit over more years and lower his average. :shrug:

Agreed. The FO should be saying "We love you and want you to stay, he's a $12m 3 year extension which we think is generous in the current safety market. But we understand if you want to test the market and will cut you by the start of the league year if not".

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bull. If they think the rookie is possibly better they will take him - not to mention the financial benefits of a rookie contract. That does not mean they think Fields sucks, because he obviously doesn't.

I really don't like this black and white thinking.

Fields has a certain value, Caleb Williams has a certain value, and the picks they get for trading the number 1 pick has a value.

If Fields + the picks > Caleb to the Bears they will make the deal.

Someone is going to give a 2nd round pick for Fields. Rosen got a 2nd. Darnold got a 2nd. Fields improved a lot last year and is better than both those guys at the stage they were traded.

Bears just need to let the QB market play out a little. Once a team loses out of the guy they have in mind a 2nd round pick will seem reasonable.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agreed. The FO should be saying "We love you and want you to stay, he's a $12m 3 year extension which we think is generous in the current safety market. But we understand if you want to test the market and will cut you by the start of the league year if not".
Why would we cut Budda Baker right now? What is the marginal value of the additional cap space? We have $56 million in cap space with 63 players under contract. We're extremely unlikely to head into the draft with less than $25 million in available cap space.

There just aren't players to sign; you don't get better by cutting your best players and replacing them with cap space.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Someone is going to give a 2nd round pick for Fields. Rosen got a 2nd. Darnold got a 2nd. Fields improved a lot last year and is better than both those guys at the stage they were traded.

Bears just need to let the QB market play out a little. Once a team loses out of the guy they have in mind a 2nd round pick will seem reasonable.
The problem is...if they don't bend and trade him soon, the QB openings might fill.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The problem is...if they don't bend and trade him soon, the QB openings might fill.
No team who is planning on Kirk Cousins is going to act faster to get Justin Fields. Teams are going to wait until Cousins and maybe Ryan Tannehill are off the market before turning to Fields, I believe.

Then the next tier is waiting to complete their evaluations on the 2024 rookie class. It's possible you see a draft day trade for Fields if some team decides that they'd rather have him than Bo Nix or something.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No team who is planning on Kirk Cousins is going to act faster to get Justin Fields. Teams are going to wait until Cousins and maybe Ryan Tannehill are off the market before turning to Fields, I believe.

Then the next tier is waiting to complete their evaluations on the 2024 rookie class. It's possible you see a draft day trade for Fields if some team decides that they'd rather have him than Bo Nix or something.
That's my thoughts as well.

We already know what Fields is. He's a dynamic runner, and below average to average passer. His best games he can look like average Lamar Jackson. His worst games would make Joshua Dobbs blush. It's hard to win in the league with that kind of inconsistency.

The problem for Fields is that there possibly 6 QBs that could possibly go first round (Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Pennix, Nix) and there are two veteran options (Wilson and Cousins) available in free agency. We've already seen what Fields can do for an extended period of time, and a good part of the time the results were pretty underwhelming.

With the four of options, Fields is likely plan G at this point. The same reasons the Bears will move on is the same reason there is a chilly market for Fields.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would we cut Budda Baker right now? What is the marginal value of the additional cap space? We have $56 million in cap space with 63 players under contract. We're extremely unlikely to head into the draft with less than $25 million in available cap space.

There just aren't players to sign; you don't get better by cutting your best players and replacing them with cap space.

Why? Because he saves $15m and for half that price would could sign one of a dozen very good safeties that are available. Then we have a player who can do just as good a job, maybe even better considering Budda's ball skills, and have $7.5m to spend elsewhere.

The 63 includes a whole bunch of scrubs that are camp bodies. There are plenty of open positions on the 53 that require money to fill. Especially if you want to fill them with good players.

But generally people here are way too attached to Budda the person over Budda the player. He's nowhere near worth his contract. And you could, in my opinion, just straight up improve the position for less money.

And no, Pro Bowls don't prove anything.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Josina Anderson-CBS NFL Insider said that Brian Burns (Franchise Tag) can be traded for as low as a 3rd Round pick and maybe an additional 5th. That is assuming a team is willing to pay his huge salary demand (26 million plus per year).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why? Because he saves $15m and for half that price would could sign one of a dozen very good safeties that are available. Then we have a player who can do just as good a job, maybe even better considering Budda's ball skills, and have $7.5m to spend elsewhere.

The 63 includes a whole bunch of scrubs that are camp bodies. There are plenty of open positions on the 53 that require money to fill. Especially if you want to fill them with good players.

But generally people here are way too attached to Budda the person over Budda the player. He's nowhere near worth his contract. And you could, in my opinion, just straight up improve the position for less money.

And no, Pro Bowls don't prove anything.
Who? Say Josh Allen again.

Budda's either off the roster altogether or playing for a much lower salary next season anyway. I don't know why you want to antagonize your only pro bowler so that we can roll over additional cap space in 2025.

Again: there aren't the quantity or quality of free agents available to spend the money we have.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who? Say Josh Allen again.

Budda's either off the roster altogether or playing for a much lower salary next season anyway. I don't know why you want to antagonize your only pro bowler so that we can roll over additional cap space in 2025.

Again: there aren't the quantity or quality of free agents available to spend the money we have.
Why do you count Budda and PP's Pro Bowls, but talk about Kyler like he is not as good as Colt McCoy!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why do you count Budda and PP's Pro Bowls, but talk about Kyler like he is not as good as Colt McCoy!
That's not me, bruh. Kyler is way better than Colt McCoy, despite the whispers that Steve Keim was feeding to the local gabbers last fall.

I'm just not sure Kyler is better than, like, Trevor Lawrence, and he probably needs to be. Yeah?

PFR cracks me up sometimes:

You must be registered for see images attach

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not me, bruh. Kyler is way better than Colt McCoy, despite the whispers that Steve Keim was feeding to the local gabbers last fall.

I'm just not sure Kyler is better than, like, Trevor Lawrence, and he probably needs to be. Yeah?

I was once jealous that the Cardinals didn't get their pick of Jameis Winston and Marcus Marriota

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are smoking crack laced with LSD if they think Jayden Daniels is a top 3 pick and yet here we are.
I saw a crazy stat about how seldom JD threw over the middle last year. I thought that is the Jayden I know. :burgerking: He was something like #147 or something in passes over the middle.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Kinda has a Jerry Cooney feel to it doesnt it?