We will have the #2 pick

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I dont follow College that closely other than Mizzou which is not a major player anyway. You have to draft a QB if nothing than to give hope to the fan base. Otherwise this whole organization unravels and the good of 08 and 09 are gone.

Last edited:

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no safety worthy of being taken in the top 10, much less top 3. If we don't get Luck, the best thing to do would be address OL.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Making it all the more likely that we'll take one.

I was thinking punter there.

I should apply for a job at the Cardinals front office, I don't think they actually like people with football smarts there.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Carolina
2. Arizona

We won't win another game. What do we do if we have the #2?

If the Cards don't win another game they will have the number 1 pick because CAR and AZ will have the same record with CAR winning the tie breaker. If the Cards have number 1 pick and Luck declares he better be the pick or Graves and Wiz should be fired.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Even if we end up behind Carolina, they drafted their QBOF in Clausen, at least I hope they think so. So unless they traded the pick... Of course that would be the luck of the Cardinals. SF would make a trade, get Luck, and then he'd become a hall of famer. God I hate my life.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cards don't win another game they will have the number 1 pick because CAR and AZ will have the same record with CAR winning the tie breaker. If the Cards have number 1 pick and Luck declares he better be the pick or Graves and Wiz should be fired.

Carolina has only won one game and we have won three so if they beat us and lose the rest of their games they would finish with a worse record and get the number one pick. Additionally, Detroit, Buffalo and Cincinnati have only won two games so far.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Tie breaker for draft spot is not head to head but strength of schedule.

OP
OP
C

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Carolina has 1 win right? They beat the cards that gives them 2. We have 3.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Regardless of the outcomes of the rest of the games, this board is going to go into a state of mania

We lose - fans will continue to moan about the ineptitude of the team

We win - fans will complain that we will lose our chance to draft a QB who we are uncertain whether or not will even declare for the draft

Can't satisfy everyone (or anyone for that matter).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Regardless of the outcomes of the rest of the games, this board is going to go into a state of mania

We win - fans will complain that we will lose our chance to draft a QB who we are uncertain whether or not will even declare for the draft

I doubt it. Participation seems to be at a definite ebb right now, because there's nothing to say. On "Cardinal Talk" after the games, it's the same call over and over, "This is Whisenhunt's fault; he never should have cut [#7]. Put in Max Hall." The Cardinal-paid broadcasting team can't fall over themselves enough to look to the past for how Whis is an effective head coach.

Honestly, I'm not confident that this team will be able to identify or develop a high pick, anyway. Tanking the season for a pick never makes sense. But fans are in far too much despair to really worry about it.

This team isn't even entertainingly bad. This season feels like one of Derek Anderson's overthrown bombs.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

You are wise man.

Attachments

• iMASTAndex.jpeg
    iMASTAndex.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 204

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In all seriousness, if we end up with #2, here's how I'd play it out:

I would wait to trade down to see if CAR passes on Luck. Some feel that Clausen is the future there but honestly would you take him over Luck? Hopefully if we're at #2, CAR is that dumb.

If CAR takes Luck, I would trade down a few spots (staying in the Top 10) to pick up some additional picks and target Ryan Mallet. Mallet is the 2nd best QB in the draft just ahead of Newton IMO. I would target 2 starting OT's in FA because you need guys that can step in Day 1 instead of someone who is going to need time to develop. Use most of the draft to get a couple of pass rushers, an ILB, a CB, a SS and a back up C.

chickenhead

Reaction score
If some of us are upset by the idea of trading up for Skelton in the 5th only to draft a QB in the first this year--how will Panthers fans feel about drafting Clausen in the 2nd then using the top pick the next year on a QB?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In all seriousness, if we end up with #2, here's how I'd play it out:

I would wait to trade down to see if CAR passes on Luck. Some feel that Clausen is the future there but honestly would you take him over Luck? Hopefully if we're at #2, CAR is that dumb.

If CAR takes Luck, I would trade down a few spots (staying in the Top 10) to pick up some additional picks and target Ryan Mallet. Mallet is the 2nd best QB in the draft just ahead of Newton IMO. I would target 2 starting OT's in FA because you need guys that can step in Day 1 instead of someone who is going to need time to develop. Use most of the draft to get a couple of pass rushers, an ILB, a CB, a SS and a back up C.

Someone has to want to trade up in order for you to trade down. If there's no one there whom we'd want to pick with that choice, why would anyone else give up a 2 1sts and a 3rd (or whatever)?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Someone has to want to trade up in order for you to trade down. If there's no one there whom we'd want to pick with that choice, why would anyone else give up a 2 1sts and a 3rd (or whatever)?

Someone will shoot up draft boards, happens every year. A team fearing a player will not fall to them always seems willing to overpay to ensure they get their player, only time will tell.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are all wannabe's. The true nightmare is that DA starts to play well in the last 4 games, posts passer ratings in the 100s, and the braintrust feels that the QB position is fixed. That's a nightmare.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Someone will shoot up draft boards, happens every year. A team fearing a player will not fall to them always seems willing to overpay to ensure they get their player, only time will tell.

Examples? St. Louis couldn't find ANYONE who wanted to pay for the #1 overall pick. 0 Trades in the Top 5 in 2010 draft, 0 trades in the Top 4 in 2009, and the Browns probably got ripped off for the Mark Sanchez pick at #5. 0 trades in the top 10 of the 2008 draft.

It's easier said than done to just "trade down." The Pats have 2 first-round picks, but they're likely going to be in the mid-teens and the late-20s. Interested in that deal?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

And another point to add to K9's. What position on the Cardinals do you feel so comfortable about that we wouldn't want the player to fill it that other teams are willing to trade up for?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carolina has only won one game and we have won three so if they beat us and lose the rest of their games they would finish with a worse record and get the number one pick. Additionally, Detroit, Buffalo and Cincinnati have only won two games so far.
With only Cincy possibly taking a QB. Detroit already drafted their franchise QB in '09 and Buffalo has a keeper in Fitzpatrick. Cincy, after this season, might want to retool.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i dont know about that man, there are a lot of bad teams out there as well. cincinnati is really bad, so is buffalo. i can see buffalo winning a few more games but cincinnati has quit and probably wont win another game all year. i can see us with the 5th or 6th pick where we can probably land ryan mallet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson