The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

Release Date: November 20, 2015 (2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Francis Lawrence
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and action, and for some thematic material)
Screenwriters: Peter Craig, Danny Strong
Genre: Drama, Action, Sci-Fi
Website: TheHungerGamesmovie.com | Twitter | Instagram |Pinterest

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, Willow Shields, Sam Claflin, Jena Malone, Natalie Dormer, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland

Plot Summary: The epic global phenomenon of "The Hunger Games" arrives at its powerful final chapter with "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2" – in which Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) now fully realizes the stakes are no longer just for survival, they are for the future. With the nation of Panem in a full scale war, Katniss Everdeen confronts President Snow (Donald Sutherland) in the final showdown. Teamed with a group of her closest friends – including Gale (Liam Hemsworth), Finnick (Sam Claflin), and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) – Katniss goes off mission, using the unit from District 13 – and risking their lives – to stage an assassination attempt on President Snow increasingly obsessed with destroying her, the mortal traps, enemies, and moral choices that await Katniss will challenge her more than any arena she faced in The Hunger Games.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was bad. Incredibly bad. My buddy and I agreed on all the other movies--the first was surprisingly good, despite the overuse of shaky cam, the second was brilliant, and the last movie was terrible because of splitting it into two movies. This one was supposed to be all the action, all the content we would have gotten if they hadn't split the movies. And it was AWFUL. Abysmal. I had high hopes, but it fell fall short of the mark.

We saw it last night, and Bridge of Spies tonight. Bridge of Spies was so, so much better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought the last one was really mediocre after loving the first two movies, but thought this was a really solid ending. Bleak, dark, realistic with the politics. Not the barn-burning crowd-pleaser most of these types of series would end with, but I was more then okay with that.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The book was actually good and had a lot more action but for some reason the film version decided to, once again, make it a character study. The one question I had for the entire series is why was Peeta Neo for some reason?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The book was actually good and had a lot more action but for some reason the film version decided to, once again, make it a character study. The one question I had for the entire series is why was Peeta Neo for some reason?

why did you think Peeta was Neo?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
why did you think Peeta was Neo?

I can dig Katniss wanting to help him in the first book/movie to repay his kindness but that debt was repaid several times over. From Catching Fire on he was nothing but a liability. More people were killed because of his scrawny behind than Katniss', who was the true Neo in this franchise.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can dig Katniss wanting to help him in the first book/movie to repay his kindness but that debt was repaid several times over. From Catching Fire on he was nothing but a liability. More people were killed because of his scrawny behind than Katniss', who was the true Neo in this franchise.

okay... but Katniss was the Neo in this movie as well. I still don't see how Peeta was the Neo in this one. He didn't end up the hero, did nothing to ever really help and was consistently treated as a liability, but a liability that Katniss couldn't give up on.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
okay... but Katniss was the Neo in this movie as well. I still don't see how Peeta was the Neo in this one. He didn't end up the hero, did nothing to ever really help and was consistently treated as a liability, but a liability that Katniss couldn't give up on.

He's only Neo because Katniss wants to keep him alive at all cost. She doesn't even have these kind of feelings for Gale or Prim.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about with the Neo bit?

I liked the movie. It was slow torwards the end but give a good finish to the trilogy(well 4 movies). Like cheese said, it was bleak, dark, realistic with the politics, and it closed the chapter well.

Stout

Reaction score
Aside from the awful writing plot-holes wise (see below), once they got into the city, it became incredibly formulaic and boring. Once I rolled my eyes over at my buddy and said, "Oh good, let's camp and talk some more," which elicited a laugh.

The hell of it was, both my buddy and I were really looking forward to this one, and it just fell flat, just thudded to the ground like a hunk of lead.

Why in the hell would they ever bring Peeta along? I had fallen asleep at that point, and my buddy said they just gave a single line throw-away reason--for the propo. Really? That writer should be shot with a bow and arrow. And then, gee, we'll go into the tunnels where there are NO TRAPS because the brilliant, evil government and game masters couldn't think of that very obvious detail. Those are just the two most egregious moments.

Also, how glaringly obvious was it that she was going to shoot the new president?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's only Neo because Katniss wants to keep him alive at all cost. She doesn't even have these kind of feelings for Gale or Prim.

okay... I don't think that really makes him a Neo. It just means to me it was the person Katniss loved the most in the world that she had control over to protect.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wife and I saw it yesterday and we both thought it ended the series OK. I think I align up with Cheese on this one.

Enjoyed it.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aside from the awful writing plot-holes wise (see below), once they got into the city, it became incredibly formulaic and boring. Once I rolled my eyes over at my buddy and said, "Oh good, let's camp and talk some more," which elicited a laugh.

The hell of it was, both my buddy and I were really looking forward to this one, and it just fell flat, just thudded to the ground like a hunk of lead.

Why in the hell would they ever bring Peeta along? I had fallen asleep at that point, and my buddy said they just gave a single line throw-away reason--for the propo. Really? That writer should be shot with a bow and arrow. And then, gee, we'll go into the tunnels where there are NO TRAPS because the brilliant, evil government and game masters couldn't think of that very obvious detail. Those are just the two most egregious moments.

Also, how glaringly obvious was it that she was going to shoot the new president?

The group didn't ask to bring him. He was sent there by Coin in the hopes he would snap and kill Katniss. I read the books and thought it was obvious, but maybe they should have driven that point home a little harder if some didn't see it that way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The group didn't ask to bring him. He was sent there by Coin in the hopes he would snap and kill Katniss. I read the books and thought it was obvious, but maybe they should have driven that point home a little harder if some didn't see it that way.

someone said that much point blank at some point. Coin saw Katniss as a problem ultimately and with the revolution in full swing, didn't need her anymore by the time they started taking the capital.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
someone said that much point blank at some point. Coin saw Katniss as a problem ultimately and with the revolution in full swing, didn't need her anymore by the time they started taking the capital.

Yea, the may general dude said it to Katniss in detail. So it was explained well why Peeta was there.

Stout

Reaction score
Then my friend missed it while I was asleep. Yes, the movie actually put me to sleep. He said they only gave a throwaway line of 'they want him for the propo'.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was pretty good, I liked it better than the first three. Didn't ever read the books so the ending was a little unexpected for me, which probably made the difference.

However, GENETICS GRADE = F

Okay, no way in hell those two pop out a blonde haired kid with hair so curly it's damn near a fro. FAIL!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, because all movies based on a plot of a dystopian future where civilization is saved by hot looking teens should have scripts written with infallible logic. Otherwise, the whole thing just becomes unbelievable fiction.

Stout

Reaction score
Yes, because all movies based on a plot of a dystopian future where civilization is saved by hot looking teens should have scripts written with infallible logic. Otherwise, the whole thing just becomes unbelievable fiction.

Sorry, but I'll not apologize for refusing to like crap writing. Movies, especially dystopian movies like this, get a lot of leeway in willing suspension of disbelief, but it comes in the form of believing in sci-fi tech, weird societal setups, etc. Writers don't get a free pass to leave gaping plot holes and just figure audiences should overlook them. The plot holes sucked, and such plot holes suck whether or not it's a high-theme drama or a teeny bopper movie.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'll not apologize for refusing to like crap writing. Movies, especially dystopian movies like this, get a lot of leeway in willing suspension of disbelief, but it comes in the form of believing in sci-fi tech, weird societal setups, etc. Writers don't get a free pass to leave gaping plot holes and just figure audiences should overlook them. The plot holes sucked, and such plot holes suck whether or not it's a high-theme drama or a teeny bopper movie.

Well the "plot hole" you pointed out earlier really wasn't one. You missed it because I guess you fell asleep, and your friend didn't seem to understand a pretty basic premise, so I don't know what to tell you in that regards. They did say "for the propo" or w/e, but it was pretty evident that was not the real reason, and none of the characters there bought it. I thought it wasn't perfect, it certainly could have been better, but I didn't think it sucked. I didn't fall asleep, and it kept me interested throughout the whole movie.

Stout

Reaction score
Well the "plot hole" you pointed out earlier really wasn't one. You missed it because I guess you fell asleep, and your friend didn't seem to understand a pretty basic premise, so I don't know what to tell you in that regards. They did say "for the propo" or w/e, but it was pretty evident that was not the real reason, and none of the characters there bought it. I thought it wasn't perfect, it certainly could have been better, but I didn't think it sucked. I didn't fall asleep, and it kept me interested throughout the whole movie.

That is merely one plot hole I pointed out. And a movie I'm looking forward to making me fall asleep isn't a good sign.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was extremely faithful to the book, and it was excellently performed and executed. Great movie, and a fine finish. It wasn't an 'action movie'. It was a tale of woe.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decent ending to the series and the wife and I enjoyed it. It wasn't a great movie but a fitting ending IMO. The last major sequence in the movie made it worth it to me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This one comes out on DVD in 2 days...looking forward to watching it with the family.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liked it. Ordered the blu Ray to complete the set.

I think I liked them in this order:

Catching Fire
Hunger games
Mocking jay 2
Mocking jay 1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard