The Hunger Games

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For starters, I can't stand it when people begrudge others who like something they don't. People liked the movie. Fine. If you didn't, fine also. We all don't have to like the same things. The fact that someone said they liked Drop Dead Fred confirms that. You do you. That said, I haven't read the books so I enjoyed this movie better than I thought it would and, yes, Woody Harrelson was good in this role. Also, I've read many books where the movie wasn't near as good as(Timeline & Sphere come to mind. Page turning books but mediocre at best movies). The problems film makers have is that they have to compact the book into a 2 to 2 1/2 hour movie. 3 hours at most. So the screen writer has to adjust the plot/character/storyline to fit into a movie. A good example is Hannibal(as in Lecter). The Harris book is very, very good and there are characters in it that were pertinent to the story that Scott chose to lump into one character(Verger's sister for one who a few of her actions are given to the man-servant). It's not an easy thing to do. Truth be told, very few books are translated exactly into movie form. I think the director did a good job with what they had to work with.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NJ, you need to start giving us the versions of movies if you were the lead character and had a shotgun. That rules.

I am not kidding. It rules.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, this movie bored me to tears. That's pretty hard to do because I'll geek out on just about any ol' sci-fi. I'm betting the books were fun reads. I won't be watching any more of this series on film.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, this movie bored me to tears. That's pretty hard to do because I'll geek out on just about any ol' sci-fi. I'm betting the books were fun reads. I won't be watching any more of this series on film.
Yes, but what if the lead was a guy with a shotgun
smiliefan.gif
number1.gif

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but what if the lead was a guy with a shotgun
smiliefan.gif
number1.gif

I can't think of a bad film moment in that scenario, because all I can think of is Steve McQueen in The Getaway.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should point out once I realized they could materialize whatever they wanted in that sphere, I was like, "Why don't they just materialize food?" Bam. Problem solved. Form the Federation, everyone gets tight jumpsuits, and start exploring where no man has gone before.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, kinda brutal movie. Jennifer Lawrence is good, but it is just not a very well made movie.

Edit: I have seen worse for sure I wonder if the subject matter is limited. Example:the Lenny Kravitz character was dumb.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Ugh, kinda brutal movie. Jennifer Lawrence is good, but it is just not a very well made movie.

Edit: I have seen worse for sure I wonder if the subject matter is limited. Example:the Lenny Kravitz character was dumb.

He should have an even smaller role in #2, but it should be more important.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should have an even smaller role in #2, but it should be more important.

I hope the Peeta "love story" is gone too. Terrible storyline and iffy casting. And he makes himself blend into riverbeds because he decorated cakes? Heh?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I watched this one back in 2012 and never watched the next 3, so I started by rewatching this. Holds up pretty well; a solid 7/10, which is high for me because I'm not much of a sci-fi guy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know it’s not unique, but the books were just SO much better than the movies.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I know it’s not unique, but the books were just SO much better than the movies.
They are on my reading to-do list. My daughter gave me all 3 books. I was pleasantly surprised to see they weren't tomes because I'm not much of a fiction reader.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw this the other night, thought it was decent. Likely where all these battle royale video games come from. Thought it was more violent than expected due to the teen movie status of it. Reading #2 is even better, I guess it is worth a shot.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw it Sat on on Demand, never read the book. We both really liked it. Agreed it's got a lot of Running Man to it, some Logans Run too but I liked it. I would have liked more explanation of exactly what happened to lead to them doing it but I'm sure the book has that?

I didn't like the shaky camera and the CGI dogs or whatever they were at the end were silly but otherwise I liked it. not clear why we'd have genetically engineered wasps in the future but that was somewhat clever.

Running man was awesome. I'd love a high budget version but I dont think today has an Arnold.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw this the other night, thought it was decent. Likely where all these battle royale video games come from. Thought it was more violent than expected due to the teen movie status of it. Reading #2 is even better, I guess it is worth a shot.

the Battle Royale video games likely come from... Battle Royale, the Japanese film from 2000 that was the first version of this story that The Hunger Games ripped off.