The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Release Date: November 20, 2014 (p.m. screenings)
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Francis Lawrence
Screenwriter: Danny Strong, Peter Craig
Genre: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and action, some disturbing images and thematic material)

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, Sam Claflin, Jena Malone, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland

Plot Summary: The worldwide phenomenon of "The Hunger Games" continues to set the world on fire with "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1," which finds Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 after she literally shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin (Julianne Moore) and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) and a nation moved by her courage. "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1" is directed by Francis Lawrence from a screenplay by Danny Strong and Peter Craig and produced by Nina Jacobson's Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. The novel on which the film is based is the third in a trilogy written by Suzanne Collins that has over 65 million copies in print in the U.S. alone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to admit, these movies have been pretty awesome. I haven't read the books, but everyone says they are really good too. So smart to break these up into multiple movies.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Have to admit, these movies have been pretty awesome. I haven't read the books, but everyone says they are really good too. So smart to break these up into multiple movies.

I disagree with your last statement. IIRC, these aren't very long books at all. The Hobbit syndrome seems alive and well here.

The first movie was meh with far too much shaky cam (shaky cam hugs? really?). The second movie was pretty cool, with far less shaky cam. If it were just a third movie, I'd go see it. A two-parter? Not sure.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yea the third book wasn't as long as the first, but I figured they would split it up in 2 movies just as the hobbit and breaking dawn did. Money thing.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So. Freaking. Excited.

Meee too!

Although this is my least favorite book of the series, although I do think it will make the best movie because of events that transpire that I wont go into as to avoid spoilers.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am underwhelmed.

Obviously, that puts me in the minority......

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am underwhelmed.

Obviously, that puts me in the minority......

The books must have been wonderful for the following these films have garnered, but I watched the first movie on Netflix and was not impressed at all. Seemed to lack a lot of character development and I never really cared what happened to anyone. Just seemed to be off a bit. Didn't draw the viewer in, IMHO.

:shrug:

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The books must have been wonderful for the following these films have garnered, but I watched the first movie on Netflix and was not impressed at all. Seemed to lack a lot of character development and I never really cared what happened to anyone. Just seemed to be off a bit. Didn't draw the viewer in, IMHO.

:shrug:

I enjoyed the books very much. Haven't seen the movies

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Meee too!

Although this is my least favorite book of the series, although I do think it will make the best movie because of events that transpire that I wont go into as to avoid spoilers.

I agree. The third book was my least favorite but still look forward to watching it all on the big screen.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the 3 guys on my squad who went last nigth at midnight this sucked. I will wait for video.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. The third book was my least favorite but still look forward to watching it all on the big screen.

I agree.

The fist 2 books and movies were great.

Mockingjay the book kind of sucked. Have no desire to see the movie.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen all three of these movies as my girls were big into the books. All three, however, said Mockingjay was their least favorite of the three books.

I did not enjoy the first two movies very much. This one was definitely different than the first two. Very little violence or action compared to the first two. Instead, it's basically more of political intrigue and conspiracy type stuff. Sadly, the shallow characters don't make that very interesting. I feel like I'm watching cardboard cutouts more than real people existing in the future. Just so bland.

IDK. I can't figure out if I have a lower opinion of the Twilight movies or this series. It's beyond me why both have been so wildly popular. Maybe I'm old. :(

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've seen all three of these movies as my girls were big into the books. All three, however, said Mockingjay was their least favorite of the three books.

I did not enjoy the first two movies very much. This one was definitely different than the first two. Very little violence or action compared to the first two. Instead, it's basically more of political intrigue and conspiracy type stuff. Sadly, the shallow characters don't make that very interesting. I feel like I'm watching cardboard cutouts more than real people existing in the future. Just so bland.

IDK. I can't figure out if I have a lower opinion of the Twilight movies or this series. It's beyond me why both have been so wildly popular. Maybe I'm old. :(

Because unlike Twilight, which can only be explained by teenage hormones, these books are fantastic. The movies just do not translate. The characters in the book are rich and deep, in the movies you couldn't care less about any of them.

I dont know WHY they cant get it right, maybe it's just not a movie story, but the books are fantastic, although I agree with your girls, Mockingjay is by far the weakest book in the series.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought the movie was well made, but it was a complete bore and this was the first movie that I was not impressed with Jennifer Lawrence's acting skill. From start to finish all she did was whine about Peeta.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because unlike Twilight, which can only be explained by teenage hormones, these books are fantastic. The movies just do not translate. The characters in the book are rich and deep, in the movies you couldn't care less about any of them.

I dont know WHY they cant get it right, maybe it's just not a movie story, but the books are fantastic, although I agree with your girls, Mockingjay is by far the weakest book in the series.

Yeah, I read a little bit of the first book but never finished it. I read none of Twilight. I guess that could color how I see both series. When it came to the books, the writing style made it hard for me to stick with it. It's that modern writing style of short, choppy sentences. I don't think there is inherently bad or good in that style, it just made it hard for me to get into a flow reading it. Once I start reading a book, if I get into it I barely put it down before I finish it. If I can't get into a flow with it, it usually winds up open faced on my night stand for months and then on a shelf.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It wasn't very good only because their trying to save all the good stuff for part 2.

Kinda like Harry Potter Deathy Hallows movie. The part 1 was a bore but part 2 was great.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It wasn't very good only because their trying to save all the good stuff for part 2.

Kinda like Harry Potter Deathy Hallows movie. The part 1 was a bore but part 2 was great.

Was wondering if that was going to be the case. The third book although lacking the excitement of the games was still pretty good I thought. Seems like this may be just a setup for the final movie since you aren't the first I've heard say that. I'll go see it anyway, really liked the books and the first two movies.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Was wondering if that was going to be the case. The third book although lacking the excitement of the games was still pretty good I thought. Seems like this may be just a setup for the final movie since you aren't the first I've heard say that. I'll go see it anyway, really liked the books and the first two movies.

Yep, shameless cash grab.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was nowhere near as bad as the first Hobbit movie. That movie felt like someone was saying "um" "um" for the first 2 hours of that movie. This was a good movie although not as good as the last IMO.

This did feel like a setup for the next film but was still entertaining. My daughter loved it but she loves all things Hunger Games right now. LOL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson