The Hunger Games

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Saw it yesterday after just reading the book. Like so many books turned movies, the book is so much better. I thought the movie was average. The actress who played Katniss was good and Woody was good. Outside of that, meh. Not a lot of character development or background information.

Patoons

Reaction score
Saw it yesterday after just reading the book. Like so many books turned movies, the book is so much better. I thought the movie was average. The actress who played Katniss was good and Woody was good. Outside of that, meh. Not a lot of character development or background information.

Gotta agree here. Though it's certainly increased the popularity of the book, the movie doesn't compare.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it again, liked it even more the second time around. The shaky camera didn't bother me as much as the first time around. I will probably buy this movie when it comes out.

You paid twice for that garbage? :mulli:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree here. Though it's certainly increased the popularity of the book, the movie doesn't compare.

The books have gained in popularity but I'm not sure how much of that increase is due to the movie. Sales spiked considerably as 2011 closed out and it's easy to point to the upcoming movie as the cause but Holiday sales played a big part too. Also, the books were highly popular on Amazon and separate from and prior to the movie marketing campaign, the series was already gaining widespread exposure on internet sites such as Facebook. The movie exposure helps but this series was moving into phenomenon status on it's own merit, IMO.

Steve

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Saw it with my son, who has read the books. He loved it. I thought it was decent.

I would love to see a hard-R Rambo style version of this. I guess Running Man in the forest.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to see a hard-R Rambo style version of this. I guess Running Man in the forest.

Hard-R would have never sold. As such it is already over 1/2 billion in box office if you count international.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I both read the book before going and seeing this. I really enjoyed it and think the casting Woody Harrelson as Haymitch was absolulely perfect. For the most part I think it stayed true to the book and was adapted pretty well.

I just finished book 2 and can't wait to see what they do with that one on the big screen.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They left out way to much and altered to much for my liking. Sorely lacking in character development. It was definitely more of an outline of the story than the actual story. The lead in no way shape or form portrays a 16 year old.

Didn't like how they completely altered the scene with Rue getting killed. Was nothing like the book. Little things like where the mocking jay pin came from(Madge)etc... Cato was nowhere near as menacing or as dominant a figure in the movie as he was in the book. The wild animals that were created and where they were created from wasn't even touched on. Which in my mind is a supreme example and showing of just how barbaric and evil the capitol really is. There was also almost no sense of urgency about food and water in the movie, or the struggles it took to get it and maintain energy and health. Where the book was engrossed with it. All in all I thought it blew pretty badly.

But I can see how someone who didn't read the book may enjoy it.

Is this BIM???? Did you hyjack Shane's account?

Han shot first I tell you! :yoda:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty harsh coming from someone who vigorously defended Transformers 2!

Ahahaha 100% better movie. More entertaining and realistic ;)

Was there a transformers 2 book I can read to see how bad they screwed the book up?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Haven't read the book, nor will I.

That said, it's not the terribly bad movie some of you seem to think it is. It was entertaining once I got past my problems with the premise and typical (forgivable) plot holes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't read the book, nor will I.

That said, it's not the terribly bad movie some of you seem to think it is. It was entertaining once I got past my problems with the premise and typical (forgivable) plot holes.

I'm sure there's a lot of books you have no plans to read but is there a specific reason you've closed the door on the possibility you might read this one?

Steve

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a lot of books you have no plans to read but is there a specific reason you've closed the door on the possibility you might read this one?

Steve

The only books I have time, or the inclination, to read any more are text books.

Maybe if I wasn't working full time, and taking a full class-load, I could read for fun again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only books I have time, or the inclination, to read any more are text books.

Maybe if I wasn't working full time, and taking a full class-load, I could read for fun again.

Good reasons. Have you given any thought to taking the Evelyn Woodhead speed reading course? Ever since I took the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Riddin' course, my riddin' has im-PROVVed one hunert percent and "comprenshun" has increased "won-der-full-lee.

Steve

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Good reasons. Have you given any thought to taking the Evelyn Woodhead speed reading course? Ever since I took the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Riddin' course, my riddin' has im-PROVVed one hunert percent and "comprenshun" has increased "won-der-full-lee.

Steve

Huh huh...you said woodhead...huh huh

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie blows...the first thirty minutes of stupid shaky camera work that seemed to be shot by a director with parkinsons really pissed me off. THE ACTING WAS marginal mostly due to a flat script IMO. I NEVER read the book and will not be watching the sequel.

Absolutely agree. And double-ditto on the shaky-cam.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really liked the movie. But I haven't read the book. So I started reading the book after watching the movie, and I can see why people are complaining.

If you haven't read any of the books yet, I think the best approach is to watch the movie and then read the book if you want the back story. This way you can enjoy both. I think I may hold off on reading part 2 and 3 until those movies come out.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just watched this one.....and I just dont see why all the hype....SyFy channel makes movies like that all the time....it was very predictable.....not horrible, but not good either...just a way to kill an evening with the family.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched this one.....and I just dont see why all the hype....SyFy channel makes movies like that all the time....it was very predictable.....not horrible, but not good either...just a way to kill an evening with the family.

I don't think the hype was justified either but you must get a different SyFy channel than I do. On a scale of 1 to 100, Hunger Games was a solid 70 and I don't think I've seen a SyFy channel movie that deserved more than a 30. I'm amazed at how consistently horrible SyFy channel movies are and even more amazed at the fact that I keep trying to watch them. I've seen better sci-fi movies on the Hallmark channel.

Steve

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think the hype was justified either but you must get a different SyFy channel than I do. On a scale of 1 to 100, Hunger Games was a solid 70 and I don't think I've seen a SyFy channel movie that deserved more than a 30. I'm amazed at how consistently horrible SyFy channel movies are and even more amazed at the fact that I keep trying to watch them. I've seen better sci-fi movies on the Hallmark channel.

Steve

come on now...you didnt like the Babylon 5 pilot?....... or the 4 seperate Stargate movies they made?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
come on now...you didnt like the Babylon 5 pilot?....... or the 4 seperate Stargate movies they made?

I'm not sure what credit they should receive for Babylon 5 but I don't think they had much to do with the Stargate movies. Also, Babylon 5 was almost 20 years ago and I have no idea what 4 Stargate movies you're talking about. Regardless, they put a lot of initial release movies out each year and they are an insult to sci-fi fans more often than not.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw it Sat on on Demand, never read the book. We both really liked it. Agreed it's got a lot of Running Man to it, some Logans Run too but I liked it. I would have liked more explanation of exactly what happened to lead to them doing it but I'm sure the book has that?

I didn't like the shaky camera and the CGI dogs or whatever they were at the end were silly but otherwise I liked it. not clear why we'd have genetically engineered wasps in the future but that was somewhat clever.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
saw it Sat on on Demand, never read the book. We both really liked it. Agreed it's got a lot of Running Man to it, some Logans Run too but I liked it. I would have liked more explanation of exactly what happened to lead to them doing it but I'm sure the book has that?

I didn't like the shaky camera and the CGI dogs or whatever they were at the end were silly but otherwise I liked it. not clear why we'd have genetically engineered wasps in the future but that was somewhat clever.

lol on the wasps comment. yeah, the backstory is more well-defined in the book and it even explains the genetically engineered wasps. hence the book a much better read than the movie. there's just not enough time in the movie to properly explain everything developed in the book.

and let's not forget that the book itself wasn't meant to be a major novel. it was a "teen's best list" type of thing in most bookstores. the fact that it was as clever and entertaining as it was is sort of a revelation in and of itself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard