Reaction score
The Hunger Games

Release Date: March 23, 2012
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Gary Ross
Screenwriter: Billy Ray
Genre: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: N/A

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Wes Bentley, Elizabeth Banks, Dayo Okeniyi, Amandla Stenberg, Jack Quaid, Leven Rambin, Willow Shields, Paula Malcomson, Ian Nelson, Kalia Prescott, Ethan Jamieson, Tara Macken, Chris Mark, Jacqueline Emerson, Ashton Moio, Kara Petersen, Sam Ly, Leigha Hancock, Samuel Tan, Mackenzie Lintz, Imanol Yepez-Frias, Annie Thurman, Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson

Plot Summary: "The Hunger Games" chronicles a dystopic Capitol which requires its twelve subjugated districts to pay tribute in the form of a teenage boy and girl, forced to participate in the annual "Hunger Games," a fight-to-the-death live televised event. Katniss Everdeen’s little sister is chosen in the lottery to participate and Katniss volunteers to take her place. Although persevering through hardship is commonplace for Katniss, she must start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love in order to win the games and return home. The "Hunger Games" novel has been on the New York Times best seller list for over 100 consecutive weeks. Foreign rights for the book, published by Scholastic have been sold in 41 countries.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stoked for this one. I really hope they dont screw it up. It's a fantastic story and the action is awesome, but there are plenty of opportunities for a director to take it too far and make it stupid.

I love that they cast a bunch of relative unknowns as the main characters as well, perfect choices IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stoked for this one. I really hope they dont screw it up. It's a fantastic story and the action is awesome, but there are plenty of opportunities for a director to take it too far and make it stupid.

I love that they cast a bunch of relative unknowns as the main characters as well, perfect choices IMO.

I really wonder how well this will translate. IMO, the incredible storytelling by the author is what made this book so special and I'm not sure they'll be able to capture that on the screen. I was mesmerized by the author's ability to tell this tale in such a simple and straightforward manner. Take away the wonderful writing style and I don't know if this story is any more compelling than your average SyFy movie of the week. I'm still hopeful but I have my doubts about this.

Steve

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wonder how well this will translate. IMO, the incredible storytelling by the author is what made this book so special and I'm not sure they'll be able to capture that on the screen. I was mesmerized by the author's ability to tell this tale in such a simple and straightforward manner. Take away the wonderful writing style and I don't know if this story is any more compelling than your average SyFy movie of the week. I'm still hopeful but I have my doubts about this.

Steve

I completely understand but kind of disagree.

The role of Katniss Everdeen is probably the most coveted and important role for any female character. Problably the best role for a female in an action film ever. Jennifer Lawrence got it, and she is already been an Acadamy Award nominee. Go netflix "Winter's Bone" if you get a chance.

I used to think the same thing about the Harry Potter books because the style of writing was as important as the story, but the Potter films came out pretty well.

Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is brilliant casting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely understand but kind of disagree.

The role of Katniss Everdeen is probably the most coveted and important role for any female character. Problably the best role for a female in an action film ever. Jennifer Lawrence got it, and she is already been an Acadamy Award nominee. Go netflix "Winter's Bone" if you get a chance.

I used to think the same thing about the Harry Potter books because the style of writing was as important as the story, but the Potter films came out pretty well.

Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is brilliant casting.

I hope you're right. I think the style of writing is usually what makes any story special but IMO her style was unlike anything I've come across. With a decent script and the right director/cast, there's no reason this can't be a solid movie. I guess I was just focusing on how unique the writing style was and the fact that you can't really capture that on screen.

Steve

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost finished with the second book in this series, and the writer's style is phenomenal. She has a fantastic sense of pacing and narrative. I hope it translates...because I want to see the entire trilogy.

The second book is effed up.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the movie will be somewhat of a narrative of Katniss. With a lot of voice overs so it will be a personal tale from her point of view rather than a straight forward movie.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see this movie. I wasn't super keen on Lenny Kravitz being Cinna, but I'm cool with it now.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saw it last night with my wife at an advance showing. My wife, who has read the books, felt that it was a pretty good adaptation of the story. I haven't read the books, so I will go with what she said - a few minor changes. I heard some others during the credits say that a few chunks were left out but that it did not harm the story. Because they are teens, it seems the angst that would have naturally occurred was missing a little in the acting, but the film was entertaining.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
saw it yesterday, I did not read the books, but with all the hype behind the movie I was pretty stoked to see it..

Overall it was entertaining enough and definently kept my attention yet imo, it just seemed to be missing something..

I am not sure what, just didn't completely satisfy all the expectations that seemed to surround this new movie franchise..

7/10 in my book, decent, not spectacular..

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
saw it yesterday, I did not read the books, but with all the hype behind the movie I was pretty stoked to see it..

Overall it was entertaining enough and definently kept my attention yet imo, it just seemed to be missing something..

I am not sure what, just didn't completely satisfy all the expectations that seemed to surround this new movie franchise..

7/10 in my book, decent, not spectacular..

It probably didn't satisfy because there will be two more movies.

I saw it tonight and thought is was pretty good. Kept to the book for the most part.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I just finished the book a day ago and it is really fresh in my mind... This movie was complete garbage.. That is all.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It probably didn't satisfy because there will be two more movies.

I saw it tonight and thought is was pretty good. Kept to the book for the most part.

It didn't satisfy me because the movie didn't exhibit any of the emotions of the book. It was a play-by-play of the story, but they had no time for true character development.

The Hunger Games are about the desperation of trying to hang on to life in such extreme circumstances. The movie went through everything at such a pace and in such a way that that desperation didn't come across to the audience.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you read the book chris?

I ask, b/c I didnt, but everyone I know who did seemed to hate it, but most of tgose who sjust saw the movie really seemed to like it..

I haven't read the book, but this can be said for every movie. The book is always better, just get over it and enjoy the different medium.

It is an adaptation, not a translation.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't satisfy me because the movie didn't exhibit any of the emotions of the book. It was a play-by-play of the story, but they had no time for true character development.

The Hunger Games are about the desperation of trying to hang on to life in such extreme circumstances. The movie went through everything at such a pace and in such a way that that desperation didn't come across to the audience.

They left out way to much and altered to much for my liking. Sorely lacking in character development. It was definitely more of an outline of the story than the actual story. The lead in no way shape or form portrays a 16 year old.

Didn't like how they completely altered the scene with Rue getting killed. Was nothing like the book. Little things like where the mocking jay pin came from(Madge)etc... Cato was nowhere near as menacing or as dominant a figure in the movie as he was in the book. The wild animals that were created and where they were created from wasn't even touched on. Which in my mind is a supreme example and showing of just how barbaric and evil the capitol really is. There was also almost no sense of urgency about food and water in the movie, or the struggles it took to get it and maintain energy and health. Where the book was engrossed with it. All in all I thought it blew pretty badly.

But I can see how someone who didn't read the book may enjoy it.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah even in the movie I thought they should have highlighted the need for food and water. I understand though it was already 2.5 hours and that level detail isn't going to be appreciated by the mass of consumers.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They left out way to much and altered to much for my liking. Sorely lacking in character development. It was definitely more of an outline of the story than the actual story. The lead in no way shape or form portrays a 16 year old.

Didn't like how they completely altered the scene with Rue getting killed. Was nothing like the book. Little things like where the mocking jay pin came from(Madge)etc... Cato was nowhere near as menacing or as dominant a figure in the movie as he was in the book. The wild animals that were created and where they were created from wasn't even touched on. Which in my mind is a supreme example and showing of just how barbaric and evil the capitol really is. There was also almost no sense of urgency about food and water in the movie, or the struggles it took to get it and maintain energy and health. Where the book was engrossed with it. All in all I thought it blew pretty badly.

But I can see how someone who didn't read the book may enjoy it.

Yes, the food and water was a major issue, the gifts of food were key to the survival of the tributes and gave a much better portrayal of the bonding between Districts.

Also, the tributes were freezing and practically dead for most of the Games all the way to the end. This was not portrayed in the movie.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
read the books and loved them. heard the movie was an abomination from an enthusiast. interviewed and intern candidate whose best friend played cato in the movie. that's all i got. will return upon viewing. still cautiously hopeful . . .

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's Woody Harelson in it? Is the casting as brilliant as it seems?

Casting is good IMO. But the Haymitch character just isn't as important in the movie as he is in the book. Not enough time to really get into his personal demons and who he is and portrayed in the book. He's just there nothing special.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
read the books and loved them. heard the movie was an abomination from an enthusiast. interviewed and intern candidate whose best friend played cato in the movie. that's all i got. will return upon viewing. still cautiously hopeful . . .

Its garbage :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Pretty spot on. Worth the price of admission and a decent flick, though. The director DEFINITELY needs to be shot, however. Shaky camera? Really? In EVERY EFFING SCENE? You know, they spent decades researching the technology to keep a camera still, and now they purposefully make it stupid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard