The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Release Date: November 21, 2013 (2D theaters and IMAX, p.m. screenings)
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Francis Lawrence
Screenwriter: Simon Beaufoy, Michael deBruyn, Scott Frank
Genre: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and action, some frightening images, thematic elements, a suggestive situation and language)

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Lenny Kravitz, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland, Toby Jones, Woody Harrelson, Jena Malone, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amanda Plummer, Lynn Cohen, Patrick St. Esprit, Meta Golding, Bruno Gunn, Alan Ritchson, E. Roger Mitchell, Maria Howell, Stephanie Leigh Schlund, Sam Claflin, Jeffrey Wright

Plot Summary: "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" begins as Katniss Everdeen has returned home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a "Victor's Tour' of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell) - a competition that could change Panem forever.

You must be registered for see images attach

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a movie date with friends this Wednesday to see it, but I don't think I can hold out that long. I need to see this movie immediately!! So happy it's been getting good reviews.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It certainly couldn't be worse than the 1st.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I liked it. One of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen in terms of faithfulness and execution. Sure, they cut out the unnecessary fluff, invented a few scenes to propel the story forward, and axed a few characters. Usually, this would result in an outcry from fans of the novel, but I've not heard any complaints about their artistic decisions here.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved it, loved it, loved it. Enjoyed every last second. Cant wait to see it again. Jennifer Lawrence is a goddess. Woody is a perfect Haymitch. LOVED IT.

When does the blu-ray come out? Take my money now!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I read the first book, but it was just okay, so I didn't read the other two. As I'm an avid reader that loves book series, this is a pretty indicting detail. The first movie was okay, but everything--EVERYTHING--was in shaky cam. I hugged my sister--in shaky cam. I walked through the front door--in shaky cam. I'll never watch the first movie again.

All that said, this movie was pretty cool. Way, way better than the first one, and without all the annoying shaky cam. I'll not buy it or go see it again, but I'd put it on in the background once it makes HBO.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news and bad news....

The good news is that it was indeed better than the first one.

The bad news is that the only reason it was better was because there was no shaky cam.

Just a mishmash. This movie is to films what Sarah Palin is to coherent sentence structure. Jennifer Lawrence spent a good amount of time with an expression on her face akin to trying to take care of week-old constipation. Plot holes galore. Year 2113 technology mixed with 1949 technology. Clumsy in its attempts to make political statements. Just not very good.

Certainly not the worst picture I've ever seen, but.......... oh well. You get the idea.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, we must be watching different movies.

this was pretty damn great. The last shot, watching Katniss' eyes go from sorrow to resolve was awesome.

I kinda saw the BIG twist coming, but didn't care. the whole movie was incredibly well done. can't wait to see where this goes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good movie. I have to admit I was surprised. This was vastly superior to original movie IMO. Better story...better acting...lots of action.

I liked the shot with Katniss opening her eyes but I was having deja vu. It reminded me of the ending of Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1 and Bella opening her eyes at the end. They were different from an emotional standpoint but regardless the shots almost seemed identical.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, we must be watching different movies.

this was pretty damn great. The last shot, watching Katniss' eyes go from sorrow to resolve was awesome.

I kinda saw the BIG twist coming, but didn't care. the whole movie was incredibly well done. can't wait to see where this goes.

"...eye of the beholder, and all that...." ;)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seeing all these comments and them being entertwined with scenes from twilight just proves to me that I have made the right decision by not seeing ANY of these or the twilight movies.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
made my wife go see this with me. (payback for anchorman 2). I loved it. She hated the first one but liked this one. Guess my plan failed
Oh well.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news and bad news....

The good news is that it was indeed better than the first one.

The bad news is that the only reason it was better was because there was no shaky cam.

Just a mishmash. This movie is to films what Sarah Palin is to coherent sentence structure. Jennifer Lawrence spent a good amount of time with an expression on her face akin to trying to take care of week-old constipation. Plot holes galore. Year 2113 technology mixed with 1949 technology. Clumsy in its attempts to make political statements. Just not very good.

Certainly not the worst picture I've ever seen, but.......... oh well. You get the idea.
You mean like Obama?

Also, how about you fixing your sentence structure yourself before casting aspersions at others.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean like Obama?

Also, how about you fixing your sentence structure yourself before casting aspersions at others.

In the spirit of Christmas, I'm sorry Santa didn't bring you a sense of humor. You need one.

And since you've obviously forgotten the obvious, this thread is about the movie The Hunger Games, not about your crush on a former Alaska Governor or your purported editorial capabilities. :nono: :thumbdown

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great sequel, and better than the first--a rare feat, even today. Good action, and while it took a little while to get going, it was nice to see how everything came together in the end and the how the ante was upped with her resolve.

Shots that linger on a character on a long time showing her mood through facial expression is basically what movies are about--show, don't tell. Funny enough, I was reminded of the end of Captain Phillips and Tom Hanks in the sick bay. COmpletely different movies and situations, but the character work in both was great (Tom Hanks was the best, obviously, but you get the idea).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great sequel, and better than the first--a rare feat, even today. Good action, and while it took a little while to get going, it was nice to see how everything came together in the end and the how the ante was upped with her resolve.

Shots that linger on a character on a long time showing her mood through facial expression is basically what movies are about--show, don't tell. Funny enough, I was reminded of the end of Captain Phillips and Tom Hanks in the sick bay. COmpletely different movies and situations, but the character work in both was great (Tom Hanks was the best, obviously, but you get the idea).

Yeah...that sick bay scene was pretty incredible. Broke me down after two hours of non-stop tension.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Just saw it.. seems like I am in the minority, but I liked the first one better. I didn't read the books, but my wife gave me a five minute overview of each book.I guess I was expecting it to be more like the first one with the surprise twist at the end and thought they kind of flew through the actual games/less action than I was expecting. I understand people's thoughts around it having a little deeper plot and no shaky cam though.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw it.. seems like I am in the minority, but I liked the first one better.

Yes, thie first one was much better. Came out on DVD this week, and the 1rst 90 minutes were pull out your hair boring,

Read the trilogy, but this movie is a 2 1/2 hour of your life you won't get back. Horrible.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, thie first one was much better. Came out on DVD this week, and the 1rst 90 minutes were pull out your hair boring,

Read the trilogy, but this movie is a 2 1/2 hour of your life you won't get back. Horrible.

Sounds just like the first :)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre-ordered the bluray/dvd combo, got it Friday, watched it twice already. Love this movie!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The first one was virtually unwatchable. Not because of the content, but because of the idiotic shaky came. She hugs her sister--in shaky cam. She picks up a glass of water--in shaky cam. Blech. It was a headache to watch from beginning to end.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Couldn't disagree more. The second one was far superior and this is coming from someone who was dragged to both by my wife and daughter. Better story, better acting and better overall story. The fist one was OK but I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson