Tim Tyers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 14, 2003 12:00 AM

Tonight's game
SUNS AT ROCKETS

WHERE: Toyota Center, Houston.

WHEN: 6:30 p.m.

TV/RADIO: UPN 45/KTAR-AM (620).

SUNS UPDATE: Phoenix has lost three straight games to the Rockets and shot an anemic 39 percent in four games against them last year. Center Scott Williams (thumb) returned to practice Thursday but won't be activated for at least a week.

ROCKETS UPDATE: Houston is 5-2 after losing Thursday night at Dallas. Guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley are averaging 18.9 and 17.7 points per game, respectively, and center Yao Ming is averaging 14.9. The front line of Yao, Kelvin Cato and Jim Jackson is averaging almost seven blocks a game.

The NBA released the 2004 All-Star Game ballot Thursday, and it included three Suns: guard Stephon Marbury and forwards Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire.

Three Suns starters supposedly are All-Star caliber, but the offense against a zone resembled a fire drill in a flea circus in losses to Atlanta and Utah and even in a win over Memphis.

That should make tonight's meeting with the stingy Houston Rockets very interesting, considering that the Suns shot a weak 39 percent in losing three of four to the Rockets last season.

Entering Thursday's game at Dallas, Houston, under new coach Jeff Van Gundy, was allowing a league-low 76.8 points per game and holding opponents to 35.5 percent shooting (No. 1 in field-goal defense).

The Rockets (5-2) have moved 6-foot-11 Kelvin Cato, who was 7-6 Yao Ming's backup in the post last season, to starting power forward. Although Cato is more turtle than hare, he is one of the NBA's best shot blockers, and Van Gundy is utilizing that asset.

Suns coach Frank Johnson said he believes the Suns' offensive problems are overblown.

"We saw 11 or 12 possessions against the zone on tape after the Atlanta game," he said. "We got the shots. They just didn't go down. What happens if you make those shots? They come out of the zone.

"Somebody asked me (Wednesday) why scoring is down. Well, we're just not shooting very good."

Those without benefit of the tape saw a team that often looked confused and launched more than a couple of panic-stricken, long-distance shots at important times.

"We sometimes think too much," Johnson said. "You miss one shot, you miss two, you miss three - now everyone is putting so much pressure on themselves because they want to do it so bad. But to do it, sometimes all you have to do is make one more pass. Then maybe another guy will do it and the next guy will also make one more pass."

Right, but then you run the chance that the team could fall into a syndrome called overpassing.

"Yeah," Johnson said with a wry smile. "I'd like to see that happen."

The good news for the Suns is that the Rockets don't play much zone defense.

"Their guards are pushing at the top and funneling everything down to Yao and Cato," Johnson said. "If you run a pick and roll, Yao is always back there waiting. Cato is also a big part of their defense.

" . . . They're also getting back and eliminating layups in transition. I don't think this is just a case of them getting off to a fast start. . . . They're for real."

Then, with a touch of comic timing, Johnson offered the bad news.

"They'll probably play some zone against us," he said.

Why not? It makes sense. First, the Suns have to show they can handle a zone. Second, Rockets guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and forward Jim Jackson have the quickness to defend shooters on the perimeter without worrying about giving up the inside.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dr. Dumas
Why not? It makes sense. First, the Suns have to show they can handle a zone. Second, Rockets guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and forward Jim Jackson have the quickness to defend shooters on the perimeter without worrying about giving up the inside.

The Rockets won't be worring to much about giving up the middle on the zone defense to the Suns. The Suns will be doing there usual pass the hot potatoe around the perimeter until someone puts up a bad shot.

What really makes me sick is where FJ talks about how the Suns played the zone okay, that shots were just not falling. :stupid:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can't believe that they still think the problem is not enough passing.

It occurs to me that one problem with the Suns is that, since their "big four" all came into the NBA so young, they've probably never had any real coaching. Of course the problem with Stoudemire is well documented. But Marbury, Marion, and Joe Johnson have only five years of college between them, right? And when they were in high school, I'm sure they dominated everyone, so basic stuff like moving without the ball was someone else's problem.

In terms of college or equivalent European experience, is there a greener starting five in the entire league? Maybe that's a big part of why the team is so fundamentally weak. Heck, maybe NBA coaches aren't supposed to talk about these things, except for throwbacks like Hubie Brown, because it's assumed that the players know it all already.