Pistons @ Suns Wednesday game thread 2-14-2024

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of that is just pushing, for the most part none of those incidents don't involve sucker punches, or punches at all.
Have heard plenty of stories over the years about punching pushing etc. Again, don't have an issue if it's handled all the same. To your point, if I push someone on the street....it's still assault.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Have heard plenty of stories over the years about punching pushing etc. Again, don't have an issue if it's handled all the same. To your point, if I push someone on the street....it's still assault.
If Stewart had merely pushed Drew and that's it, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why it's also a mess. Does law enforcement then get involved in every bench brawl, NBA fight, NFL fight on the field too? That's what I mean. It's so subjective. I am all for every situation being treated the same. Not subjective application depending on when or where it takes place then.
Of course not. But the answer would be the same if you were to flip that and ask if law enforcement should never get involved in a bench brawl, NBA fight or NFL fight. It depends on the situation, context always matters. And no matter how you feel about it, there is a huge difference between what happens on the playing field versus somewhere else in the building.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course not. But the answer would be the same if you were to flip that and ask if law enforcement should never get involved in a bench brawl, NBA fight or NFL fight. It depends on the situation, context always matters. And no matter how you feel about it, there is a huge difference between what happens on the playing field versus somewhere else in the building.
Again, it's not the followup actions (regardless of what that might be) that bothers me as much as how subjective the application is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If it took place outside the arena and in front of cop we would.
But Drew likely wouldn't have pressed charges on a push. But a sucker punch from a large human being (no matter the victim)? Doesn't matter where it happens, law enforcement will almost always be involved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, it's not the followup actions (regardless of what that might be ) that bothers me as much as how subjective the application is.
Subjective isn't a bad word, and it plays a role in almost everything law enforcement gets involved with. I'm really surprised you're digging your heels in here. Like I said before, it's quite common for the police to be involved in an altercation such as this whether charges get filed of not.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Drew likely wouldn't have pressed charges on a push. But a sucker punch from a large human being (no matter the victim)? Doesn't matter where it happens, law enforcement will almost always be involved.
It's not always up to the victim to press charges. It happened to a friend of mine in college that pushed someone but the guy never pressed charges.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subjective isn't a bad word, and it plays a role in almost everything law enforcement gets involved with. I'm really surprised you're digging your heels in here. Like I said before, it's quite common for the police to be involved in an altercation such as this whether charges get filed of not.
I am all for police getting involved in every situation. Again, it's not about the end result.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not always up to the victim to press charges. It happened to a friend of mine in college that pushed someone but the guy never pressed charges.
My guess here is also that Drew wasn't the one that called the cops, arena security did.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You would think but why don't most on court or field punches result in charges?
99.9999999% of NBA fights are shoving matches and don't require attention.
If an NBA employee assaults someone before or after the game on property or not that person should be arrested.
If a priest molests your kid on a fieldtrip instead of at the church does it make a difference that it wasn't church hours?

The NBA is not exempt from state or federal laws. It should be taken seriously because players are valuable assets.
If the punishment isn't severe enough what's to stop any team from saving a spot on the bench for a hitman. I would

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
99.9999999% of NBA fights are shoving matches and don't require attention.
If an NBA employee assaults someone before or after the game on property or not that person should be arrested.
If a priest molests your kid on a fieldtrip instead of at the church does it make a difference that it wasn't church hours?

The NBA is not exempt from state or federal laws. It should be taken seriously because players are valuable assets.
If the punishment isn't severe enough what's to stop any team from saving a spot on the bench for a hitman. I would
Naturally. Note I said "extreme" in a previous post. Honestly, if two players are talking smack, shove each other and one throws a punch? Seems like a pretty common thing over the history of sports. I am cool with how everyone thinks it should be handled as long it's the same application.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you enter the arena it's an NBA event IMO. Outside a building on the street isn't the same thing. We will have to agree to disagree. There are not laws I am aware of that set parameters where or when something like that occurs which determines if you get charged. It's subjective at best. The lines here can get really grey really quick and make a mess.
Legally, Draymond Green should have been arrested for Assault 10-15 times in his career. Should he have been? Logically yes, since the slaps on the wrist the NBA gives him has done nothing to deter him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it should have been handled by the NBA. I think things get really really messy when you start crossing those lines between internal and legal. I mean every single fight in the NBA then could result in arrests. Think about all the bench clearing brawls.
Maybe they should. If someone assaulted you in your office would you expect the law to just ignore it? Just because it’s in the field of play doesn’t automatically place it outside the rule of law.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes. Exactly what I am saying. If it occurs during an NBA event, it's a league matter unless it's something extreme. Can you imagine if all the bench clearing brawls all end up with players getting charged? What a mess that would be.
The enforcement of law is a “mess?” There’s literally no reason to suspend laws just because the assault occurs during a sport. I think we are just conditioned for that bc athletes are essentially gladiators. But assault is not okay bc it takes place during a sporting event.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The enforcement of law is a “mess?” There’s literally no reason to suspend laws just because the assault occurs during a sport. I think we are just conditioned for that bc athletes are essentially gladiators. But assault is not okay bc it takes place during a sporting event.
Not enforcement. Application.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It wasn't during an NBA event. It's like you going to work and outside the front door you are assaulted by a paralegal. Should the company be the only ones that handle it?
Where it occurs actually has zero bearing on the discussion. As far as I know sporting courts or fields are not law-free jurisdictions. If a player went onto a court and shot another player it’s not an nba matter. Laws are laws.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The problem is laws vary from state to state. Again, I said unless it's something extreme. The way it is now? It's very subjective.
So? When you travel to another state you are held responsible under those laws. You can’t say “I’m from Arizona and we have different assault laws.”

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Legally, Draymond Green should have been arrested for Assault 10-15 times in his career. Should he have been? Logically yes, since the slaps on the wrist the NBA gives him has done nothing to deter him.
Draymond should've caught a charge when he knocked the talent out of Jordan Poole - that wasn't no game - lol honestly I think Poole should sue the team for Post Draymond Stress Disorder

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not how laws work.
I have a problem with subjectively deciding if an assault should be reviewed by law enforcement or if it should be handled internally. What I am saying is I prefer consistent application regardless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's why it's also a mess. Does law enforcement then get involved in every bench brawl, NBA fight, NFL fight on the field too? That's what I mean. It's so subjective. I am all for every situation being treated the same. Not subjective application depending on when or where it takes place by players participating in a league game.
Laws have specific criteria that must be satisfied to be found guilty. It’s how we live in a society with rules.