Suns @ Lakers Thursday game thread 1-11-2024

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ishbia is more responsible for the KD trade than Jones. I mean it's pretty obvious. Rumored all season long and then it happens hours after Ishbia takes over. But still, not taking Haliburton is probably on Jones. Jones has done good and bad. If we were to let him go, I'd just really hope whoever we get is better because it could be worse.

Worse? Have you looked around. We are on the threshold of hell.

Okay, I couldn't resist my attempt at humor.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trolls gonna troll. ;)
:biglaugh:

Just checking in ahead of the game to see how your super team is doing these days. Lakers haven't been playing well either. But we did just beat the Clippers who beat the Suns pretty handily, so there's that.

As Bickley and Marotta said on the morning show, there are plenty of teams struggling right now but most are ripping on themselves to the media or at least speaking out about it - ala LeBron saying, "We just suck right now."

The morning show guys said your team lacks leadership, defense, and a true point guard (as opposed to point-Book) among other things. No one is speaking up other than Vogel who keeps preaching patience.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Just checking in ahead of the game to see how your super team is doing these days. Lakers haven't been playing well either. But we did just beat the Clippers who beat the Suns pretty handily, so there's that.

As Bickley and Marotta said on the morning show, there are plenty of teams struggling right now but most are ripping on themselves to the media or at least speaking out about it - ala LeBron saying, "We just suck right now."

The morning show guys said your team lacks leadership, defense, and a true point guard (as opposed to point-Book) among other things. No one is speaking up other than Vogel who keeps preaching patience.
He has no choice other than to encourage patience otherwise he is out of here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What's your take on Vogel? You saw a few years of him. Does he deserve credit for anything the Lakers accomplished or was that in spite of him?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your take on Vogel? You saw a few years of him. Does he deserve credit for anything the Lakers accomplished or was that in spite of him?
He may have won that bubble championship simply because both AD and LBJ were relatively healthy all season.

They missed significant time each of the next two seasons. One they squeaked into the playoffs via the play-in tourney and one they weren't even close and that got him canned.

He was constantly tinkering with lineups and used over 40 different lineups one of those final two seasons.

I thought we were really good defensively but maybe it was because of the particular players we had. Makes sense that it wouldn't necessarily translate to a different roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He may have won that bubble championship simply because both AD and LBJ were relatively healthy all season.

They missed significant time each of the next two seasons. One they squeaked into the playoffs via the play-in tourney and one they weren't even close and that got him canned.

He was constantly tinkering with lineups and used over 40 different lineups one of those final two seasons.

I thought we were really good defensively but maybe it was because of the particular players we had. Makes sense that it wouldn't necessarily translate to a different roster.

I hadn't even looked at the number of lineups he used there but I'm not all that surprised he over tinkered in LA.

Say what you will about the bubble title but regardless of how it is viewed next to other titles I believe it required the least amount of coaching since the players were in such close quarters with one another. There was essentially players only meetings on a daily basis and team chemistry played a huge role in a teams success within the bubble. Jared Dudley wrote that book, which is only like 70 pages, about the bubble experience from a player standpoint and he was the one who sort of put that notion out there, that the players chemistry and camaraderie with one another was huge for the Lakers.

He didn't discredit Vogel but he did credit LeBron and pat himself on the back for being a veteran leader who kept the players focused. So I think the rings mean as much for the players, bubble or not, but as far as a championship on a coaching resume I'd say the bubble shouldn't be viewed the same as any other year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hadn't even looked at the number of lineups he used there but I'm not all that surprised he over tinkered in LA.

Say what you will about the bubble title but regardless of how it is viewed next to other titles I believe it required the least amount of coaching since the players were in such close quarters with one another. There was essentially players only meetings on a daily basis and team chemistry played a huge role in a teams success within the bubble. Jared Dudley wrote that book, which is only like 70 pages, about the bubble experience from a player standpoint and he was the one who sort of put that notion out there, that the players chemistry and camaraderie with one another was huge for the Lakers.

He didn't discredit Vogel but he did credit LeBron and pat himself on the back for being a veteran leader who kept the players focused. So I think the rings mean as much for the players, bubble or not, but as far as a championship on a coaching resume I'd say the bubble shouldn't be viewed the same as any other year.
Meh I think that’s garbage. They all had the same chance to grow camaraderie. Everyone had the same factors impacting their success or failure.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh I think that’s garbage. They all had the same chance to grow camaraderie. Everyone had the same factors impacting their success or failure.

And they had peak Lebron and Anthony Davis, arguably the best players there who were healthy. LeBron more than others knows what it takes to win a championship as well. That isn't something every team had as far as players with experience like that.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He's regularly undersold our assets and disregards the draft as a means to build a team.
Of many gripes I have with James Jones, this is by far the biggest. He has basically arrogantly proclaimed he doesn't care about the draft and doesn't think it's important, and as much as proven that by how he has handled drafting since he's been the GM here. He views it as an annoying part of his job, doesn't appear to like rookies, and would rather fill the roster with "scrappy" veterans and "overachievers" pulled off the waiver wire than try and develop young talent of any kind. And I would almost 100% guarantee that this is why nearly every deal the Suns have been making recently has been positioned to dump future draft picks as much as legally permitted.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damion Lee is the only player on the Suns injury report.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Lakers injury report.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with James Jones philosophy towards the draft. If the Suns didn't draft Devin Booker, where would the Suns be? And he was drafted #13.

James Jones drafted 20-year-old Jalen Smith in the 2020 draft at #10. If Jones doesn't like project players, why did he draft him there. This seems so contradictory when there were some good 23-year-old players available.

The only proven good draft pick Jones made was Cam Johnson in a trade down from #6 in what was essentially a 2-3 player draft in 2019. It made sense since Cam Johnson was older, more mature and Dario Saric was included in the trade.

I also understand drafting 23-year-old Toumani Camara late in the 2nd round of the 2023 draft.

However, did anyone say Landry Shamet?

I see OKC gets brought up in the article. The 2nd place Thunder are doing quite nicely and have a ton of draft assets if they decide to make a move. If I were James Jones, I wouldn't look over the shoulder. Good young teams are right behind.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I disagree with James Jones philosophy towards the draft. If the Suns didn't draft Devin Booker, where would the Suns be? And he was drafted #13.

James Jones drafted 20-year-old Jalen Smith in the 2020 draft at #10. If Jones doesn't like project players, why did he draft him there. This seems so contradictory when there were some good 23-year-old players available.

The only proven good draft pick Jones made was Cam Johnson in a trade down from #6 in what was essentially a 2-3 player draft in 2019. It made sense since Cam Johnson was older, more mature and Dario Saric was included in the trade.

I also understand drafting 23-year-old Toumani Camara late in the 2nd round of the 2023 draft.

However, did anyone say Landry Shamet?

I see OKC gets brought up in the article. The 2nd place Thunder are doing quite nicely and have a ton of draft assets if they decide to make a move. If I were James Jones, I wouldn't look over the shoulder. Good young teams are right behind.
Indeed. James Jones might have a "philosophy" regarding the draft, but I don't see any evidence that it's a good one.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need a solid win desperately. Our record against potential playoff teams is lottery draft like.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ughhhh dreaded la gm day already man time flys on 420 :) lol

Hope all enjoyed a few stress free suns day

Just want a hard fought gm that to much to ask for vogel/players

Still shocked at how bad vogel this season is :(

Not to much faith in suns makin poffs...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison