Suns @ Hornets Game Thread

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
Hornets-Suns Preview
By MIKE LIPKA, STATS Writer
Posted Oct 30 2008 1:55AM

http://www.nba.com/games/20081030/NOHPHX/preview.html?nav=scoreboardhome#stats

The New Orleans Hornets burst onto the Western Conference scene last year, winning 56 games and serving notice that behind star point guard Chris Paul, they plan on contending for years to come.
Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns certainly got the message.
A night after both clubs earned tough road victories in their openers, the Suns will look to finally earn a win over New Orleans on Thursday night at the US Airways Center, something they couldn't do against the Hornets last season.
After missing the playoffs for three straight seasons, the Hornets (1-0) returned to relevancy in 2007-08, winning the challenging Southwest Division while Paul finished second to Kobe Bryant in the league's MVP voting.
The Suns (1-0) lost all four meetings between the teams as Paul averaged 29.0 points and 11.0 assists, and the Hornets scored 117.8 points per game.
"We match up with them pretty well," Hornets forward David West said after the final matchup, a 120-103 home win on Feb. 27. "C.P. and our guards have an advantage over their guards with their speed and ability to get up and down the floor. ... It just happens that Phoenix is one of those teams that we feel confident against."
The last meeting in Phoenix was a 132-130 double-overtime thriller on Feb. 6, as Paul had 42 points, nine assists, eight steals and just one turnover. He outplayed his rival point guard, as Nash had 32 points and 12 assists but turned the ball over 10 times.
Both teams were eliminated by San Antonio in the postseason, with the Hornets bowing out in seven games in the West semifinals. But Paul picked up where he left off, scoring 21 points and adding 11 assists in the Hornets' 108-103 win at Golden State on Wednesday.
New Orleans allowed 34 first-quarter points, but tightened its defense and gave up just 19 in the fourth. Paul, meanwhile, missed a pair of open shots down the stretch, but had the go-ahead layup with 19.4 seconds left.
"Great finish, but I hope that all of them don't start off this way," coach Byron Scott said. "We got a little bit more aggressive, and our communication got better in the last few minutes."
West led New Orleans with 24 points and James Posey added 11 off the bench in his Hornets debut. New Orleans added Posey, an key reserve on Boston's NBA championship team last season, to help the Hornets chase their first title.
The Suns' opening win was more fulfilling, as they earned a measure of revenge on the Spurs with a 103-98 win at San Antonio. Nash had 13 points and 13 assists and Amare Stoudemire scored 11 of his 22 in the fourth quarter as coach Terry Porter earned a victory in his Phoenix debut.
Phoenix had fallen to the Spurs in five games in the first round of last year's postseason, the third time in the last four seasons that the Suns were eliminated by San Antonio. But on Wednesday, Shaquille O'Neal had 15 points and 13 rebounds while Leandro Barbosa scored 18 off the bench as Phoenix took advantage of Manu Ginobili's absence.
"Obviously, the first one is nice, especially on the road," said Porter. "Our guys really gutted it out tonight. It was great to see that down the stretch."
Porter, a former assistant for Detroit, is hoping to help improve Phoenix's defense, which allowed 105.0 points per game last season - sixth-worst in the league. The Pistons led the league in scoring defense in 2007-08, allowing an average of 90.1 points. Despite winning at least 54 games each of the last three seasons, the Suns haven't started 2-0 since 2004-05, when they won their first four games en route to a 62-20 season.

http://www.nba.com/games/20081030/NOHPHX/preview.html?nav=scoreboardhome

go suns!

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Going to the game tonight. Actually got some lower level tix for once.
Whats the deal with cameras anyway as far as rules & regulations? I'd like to take mine but it's not exactly easy to keep under wraps. At other games i've been to i've always just snapped a few crap pics w/the camera phone but i'm gonna be fairly close to the action tonight(sec 115 row 7 think)and my digital has a nice zoom on it but it's big & bulky not one of those slimline jobs. I won't have the tix till gametime to read the back;).
Anyway, GO SUNS!!:suns:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Going to the game tonight. Actually got some lower level tix for once.
Whats the deal with cameras anyway as far as rules & regulations? I'd like to take mine but it's not exactly easy to keep under wraps. At other games i've been to i've always just snapped a few crap pics w/the camera phone but i'm gonna be fairly close to the action tonight(sec 115 row 7 think)and my digital has a nice zoom on it but it's big & bulky not one of those slimline jobs. I won't have the tix till gametime to read the back;).
Anyway, GO SUNS!!:suns:

I was looking at cameras the other day. I saw a 12.1 MP. I can only imagine the detail one of these cameras could provide. I used to take pictures at ASU basketball games with my Canon and a zoom lens. This was when Byron Scott was still around. :)

They did not come out half bad even though I was probably mid-way up on the lower level. Maybe you should call the Suns office for regulations.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, the losses to the Hornets had relevance to the Suns trading for Shaq. It seemed pretty obvious the Suns were too small to play teams like the Hornets.

Posey promises to be a big deal for the Hornets. Last year opponents shot 46.1% against the Hornets (worse than the Suns shooting defense). Posey is replacing Wells in the Hornets lineup and gives them more three point shooting and somewhat better defense.

To beat the Hornets, the Suns will have to explit the defense of Peja and David West. Defensively, the Suns need to beat the Hornets on the boards and take way West. The Hornets can beat anyone if they are hot for three, but Chandler is not a big offensive threat so they can overplay West and their shooters. Paul will make a lot of drives to the basket, but that is not enough if their shooters are defensed.

The Warriors played the Hornets tough last night without their usual fire power. This is a "wnable" game for the Suns, but they have to play better than last night.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you will be fine with a camera in the LL. i've taken mine many times. never had a problem.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMHO, the losses to the Hornets had relevance to the Suns trading for Shaq. It seemed pretty obvious the Suns were too small to play teams like the Hornets.

The Suns played a couple games against the Hornets that came down to the last shot before Shaq and then got murdered in the game with Shaq.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I scored some suite-level tickets for the game. :thud:

Yeah, I'm a Lakers fan, but I'll be rooting for the Suns to put an L on the Hornets tonight. :thumbup:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the camera folks. Getting pumped! Funny, i only went to one game last year & it was against the Hornets also.
If my pics turn out to be any good i'll post 'em here in the near future.
GO SUNS!

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
New Orleans Hornets center Tyson Chandler was ruled out of Thursday’s meeting with the Phoenix Suns after suffering a sprained right ankle in Wednesday’s season-opening win over the Golden State Warriors. Chandler was injured during the second quarter against the Warriors. He continued to play, however, logging 37 minutes and collecting 13 points and 16 boards, but the team decided not to risk further injury against Phoenix.
Third-year center Hilton Armstrong takes Chandler’s place in the starting lineup. The Connecticut product has played sparingly during his first two seasons in the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...PKB4?slug=txhornetschandler&prov=st&type=lgns

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
Well that little snippit of Suns/Hornets on TNT didn't look too great.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bell has become very ineffective

yea he could get away with being a 1 dimensional offensive player in dantonis system but he is being exposed now. we would be SO much better with a 2 gaurd that could put the ball on the floor. everytime bell drives i just cringe.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns down 22-30 after 1 quarter. Suns with 5 turnovers for 7 Hornets' pts in the 1st quarter, Hornets with 1 for 0 Suns' pts.

Hornets 48% from the field with 3/5 3 pointers, Suns 56% from the field with 2/4 3 pointers.

Suns hitting only 2/6 free throws though, Shaq is 0/2.

Last edited:

atikiN

Registered
Reaction score
Nice defense... giving up 30 points in the 1st.
Were you under the impression Porter came with a magic wand that would make the Suns a good defensive team in a single preseason?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn