Suns @ Celtics, Thur 3-14-24

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past Ishbia to pull the plug on Vogel after one year.
Me too. Out of the available pool we had at the time, I think he was about the best we had to chose from. That said, I don't think Ishbia is ever satisfied with status quo. If there is an upgrade at coach, I could see him making the change.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good (and relentless) presentation from the Boston game showing how awful our defense is. And these are things that should not be happening and completely preventable.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Great video and analysis - we've seen this brain dead lackadaisical effort all year. Not a winning team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If we simply kept the twins and traded Ayton for Nurk/Allen, where would we be now? (Assuming of course we had a real pg as well)

Worse than the current version but neither team is contending for a title. Yet, the old version would have a helluva lot more flexibility going forward…

Well, Cam Johnson would probably be injured right now, so there's that.

Cam has played more games this year than Book, Beal and Gordon.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Worse than the current version but neither team is contending for a title. Yet, the old version would have a helluva lot more flexibility going forward…
Yeah, at least there is a realistic path forward...with this crew...yuck.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would this mysterious pg be and just how would we have acquired him?
Not sure it's possible to go back in time to see who could of been or would have been available. However, in retrospect? I don't go after Beal. I go after a PG. Just what I would have done but I don't get paid to be a GM like Jones.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Chris Paul would still be a trade option, we'd still have draft picks as well! There would be avenues to acquire one, unlike our current situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Me too. Out of the available pool we had at the time, I think he was about the best we had to chose from. That said, I don't think Ishbia is ever satisfied with status quo. If there is an upgrade at coach, I could see him making the change.
Nurse was the best option but we couldn’t convince him out squad was better positioned than Philly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would also play at an All-NBA level like CP3 did when the team was actually good… which they weren’t pre-KD trade, sitting at a painfully mediocre 26-25 in a weak West (and before anyone claims that team had injuries and was coming off a great 8-2 stretch… THIS year’s weak team, at the same point this year, was 8 games over .500, in a tougher West, while also being riddled with injuries).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We were already involved in the Lillard deal. They wanted Ayton and picks, had we not parted with all of our picks for KD then there's the PG, who is also a star to pair alongside Booker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not sure it's possible to go back in time to see who could of been or would have been available. However, in retrospect? I don't go after Beal. I go after a PG. Just what I would have done but I don't get paid to be a GM like Jones.
It’s easy to say but it’s not like we signed beal. It was very unique fact set that brought him. I’m not even sure we could e signed ANY pg given where we were with cap. Would’ve had to find a pg trade for Paul which I don’t think was viable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris Paul would still be a trade option, we'd still have draft picks as well! There would be avenues to acquire one, unlike our current situation.
What high end pg was available? This is all easy to say but just 100% conjecture. We weren’t getting a beal level pg in trade for Paul.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Agree, and if we had kept Kelly Oubre the Suns would have some youth going forward. Instead they have lots of dead-weight on the bench.
I get the youth part, but going with MORE offense hasn't really seemed to pay off. We needed guys with more defense around KD and Book, I would guess.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We were already involved in the Lillard deal. They wanted Ayton and picks, had we not parted with all of our picks for KD then there's the PG, who is also a star to pair alongside Booker.
The deal in which they got two players and draft picks? So that would be Ayton and bridges and picks gone.

Lilliard
Book
Cam
Allen
Nurk

Not sure that team moves any needle.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s easy to say but it’s not like we signed beal. It was very unique fact set that brought him. I’m not even sure we could e signed ANY pg given where we were with cap. Would’ve had to find a pg trade for Paul which I don’t think was viable.
I don’t disagree. None of the available players could have been viable. Just saying I would rather have had a PG.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What can you do when a guy discounts your organization? I liked Nurse, too.
Monty didn’t want to coach again either, but the pistons got him. Almost nothing is impossible. It’s all about how far are you willing to go to get what you want.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Monty didn’t want to coach again either, but the pistons got him. Almost nothing is impossible. It’s all about how far are you willing to go to get what you want.
You can't turn down the money they gave Monty.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The deal in which they got two players and draft picks? So that would be Ayton and bridges and picks gone.

Lilliard
Book
Cam
Allen
Nurk

Not sure that team moves any needle.

Jrue Holiday was cheaper. Boston got him for pennies on the dollar. Brogdan would have been an option as well.

The Blazers did get Holiday but flipped him almost immediately, maybe they do the same with CP3 or keep him like they did Brogdan to tutor Scoot.

Personally I think a lineup of Jrue, Booker, Mikal, Cam, Nurk would be much better than we have now. Our cap situation would be better. We probably still get Grayson, who would be an excellent Sixth Man. We should have money to get a backup Forward as well. I'm not positive but I believe that team sans Beal wouldn't be over the 2nd apron.