Suns @ Celtics, Thur 3-14-24

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Jrue Holiday was cheaper. Boston got him for pennies on the dollar. Brogdan would have been an option as well.

The Blazers did get Holiday but flipped him almost immediately, maybe they do the same with CP3 or keep him like they did Brogdan to tutor Scoot.

Personally I think a lineup of Jrue, Booker, Mikal, Cam, Nurk would be much better than we have now. Our cap situation would be better. We probably still get Grayson, who would be an excellent Sixth Man. We should have money to get a backup Forward as well. I'm not positive but I believe that team sans Beal wouldn't be over the 2nd apron.
IDK if it would have all gone down like that. I agree Holiday would be better because of his D.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IDK if it would have all gone down like that. I agree Holiday would be better because of his D.

Maybe it doesn't but I'm trying to highlight there were better fits available this past off-season, had the Suns waited.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It’s all speculation and could a would a should a. We have no idea what was viable and we sure as heck don’t know if those guys play well together.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jrue Holiday was cheaper. Boston got him for pennies on the dollar. Brogdan would have been an option as well.

The Blazers did get Holiday but flipped him almost immediately, maybe they do the same with CP3 or keep him like they did Brogdan to tutor Scoot.

Personally I think a lineup of Jrue, Booker, Mikal, Cam, Nurk would be much better than we have now. Our cap situation would be better. We probably still get Grayson, who would be an excellent Sixth Man. We should have money to get a backup Forward as well. I'm not positive but I believe that team sans Beal wouldn't be over the 2nd apron.

This is beyond confusing. How exactly are we getting Jrue Holiday/Nurk/Allen? There would have to be multiple trades to get that done, I assume?

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If we are redoing the team, I want Jokic at Center, Embiid at power forward, Giannis at small forward, and Curry at PG with Booker at the two guard spot.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That’s ridiculous…

To have Curry over SGA. :)
I thought about him, but I wanted better three shooting to make up for Book's slow streak right now. I actually did think that. LOL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You think we were landing Jrue for Paul? Sorry, that was never going to happen. There was no path to Jrue for us. We didn’t have a Dame to trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You think we were landing Jrue for Paul? Sorry, that was never going to happen. There was no path to Jrue for us. We didn’t have a Dame to trade.

Boston didn't give up much for Jrue. Maybe the whole Ayton deal is reworked with the Suns getting Jrue rather his pit stop in Portland. There's many ways it could have played out. Paul was an expiring deal and Poole has proven he's overpaid but I think Poole for Paul was a good deal at the time. Paul's deal would have been more of a matter of making salaries work. Shopping for a better fit than KD is the main point and we've seen a number of guys dealt who would have fit better like Dame, Jrue, and Siakam. Those are just the All-Star caliber guys. There's others who have been shopped or moved that would have made more sense than trading all of our forwards and picks for 1 tweener forward who is nearing the end of his career.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston didn't give up much for Jrue.

Boston gave up the 6th man of the year, a solid young big and two first round picks for Jrue. That’s what the Blazers received, which is a hell of a lot more than CP3’s expiring (which you yourself said was only thrown in for salaries) and picks.

Maybe the whole Ayton deal is reworked with the Suns getting Jrue rather his pit stop in Portland.

How could you see the Ayton deal somehow netting us Holiday, Nurk, Allen? Can you break that down for us? If we got that three some (lol… that’s a banned word?), I assume Milwaukee still gets Dame in that deal, but then the Blazers must be getting Ayton, CP3 and picks for Dame/Nurk/Allen. That has no chance of happening. We already know they only valued Ayton for Nurk/Little/Allen which means that basically means the Blazers value in return for Dame would have been… CP3 and picks. Is that the trade you’re advocating could have happened and if not, what would it have looked like?

Especially considering we saw what Ayton’s worth ACTUALLY was. There’s literally a deal of record. It was Nurk, Allen and Little. If Ayton could actually be used as a centerpiece (plus picks) for a Siakam, don’t you think we would have done that even after the KD trade?

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
How? I mean… don’t you realize that Boston wasn’t even involved in the first deal. The Jrue trade happened AFTER our trade.

And Boston gave up the 6th man of the year, a solid young big and two first round picks.

We ALL saw what Ayton’s worth was… literally, we saw the deal. It was Nurk, Allen and Little. But somehow you believe he could have been the centerpiece to get Siakam or Dame with CP3 and picks thrown in as sweeteners?
That's the point I was trying to make. The market is what it is. Some guys you have to trade a bunch for, and some guys you have to waive because no one will give you anything for them. I know there's a perceived overpay for some guys, but the trade is what it is. Every fan base thinks they didn't get enough in a trade, even if one side is perceived an overpay. Initially, on Reddit NJ fans were pissed about KD being traded, for example. They weren't saying, "Hey we got a boat load on this trade. Did we make out!"

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
The recipe is clear for the playoffs. Play the Suns physical and you win. Simple.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recipe is clear for the playoffs. Play the Suns physical and you win. Simple.
also, just be within 10 going into the 4th Quarter and take advantage of the Suns meltdown surely to follow.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
also, just be within 10 going into the 4th Quarter and take advantage of the Suns meltdown surely to follow.
I still say our best bet is to hold on like gang busters in the 4th, and play to tie. We kick ass in OT!

If there was some way to get the players tricked into thinking the 4th is OT.....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can bet that the Phoenix Suns tried to figure out if there was any way to get holiday in that deal. They've had a hard on for him forever. I've always wanted to see him playing next to Booker. I remember when the pelicans were shopping him I was hoping like hell we could land him.

That said, it's hard to complain about the Chris Paul deal. We didn't get the ring but that was a great deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Boston didn't give up much for Jrue. Maybe the whole Ayton deal is reworked with the Suns getting Jrue rather his pit stop in Portland. There's many ways it could have played out. Paul was an expiring deal and Poole has proven he's overpaid but I think Poole for Paul was a good deal at the time. Paul's deal would have been more of a matter of making salaries work. Shopping for a better fit than KD is the main point and we've seen a number of guys dealt who would have fit better like Dame, Jrue, and Siakam. Those are just the All-Star caliber guys. There's others who have been shopped or moved that would have made more sense than trading all of our forwards and picks for 1 tweener forward who is nearing the end of his career.
You’re wayyyy overvaluing Paul and poole imo. But you’re entitled to your opinion.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re wayyyy overvaluing Paul and poole imo. But you’re entitled to your opinion.

We're talking about a team who paid Jerami Grant $40 million a year and wanted to take on Ayton's max salary. They got another backup PG, Brogdan, and Robert Williams for Jrue. We could have matched that if we had picks. We could have outbid Milwaukee for Dame. There's a number of ways it could have worked. To say we couldn't have found a way is shortsighted considering the low value they received for Dame and Jrue. Portland received 2 1st round picks, 2 1st round swaps, and a conditional 1st from Golden State that may not convey. Portland got hosed. How you lose 2 All-NBA PG's for so little is astonishing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We're talking about a team who paid Jerami Grant $40 million a year and wanted to take on Ayton's max salary. They got another backup PG, Brogdan, and Robert Williams for Jrue. We could have matched that if we had picks. We could have outbid Milwaukee for Dame. There's a number of ways it could have worked. To say we couldn't have found a way is shortsighted considering the low value they received for Dame and Jrue. Portland received 2 1st round picks, 2 1st round swaps, and a conditional 1st from Golden State that may not convey. Portland got hosed. How you lose 2 All-NBA PG's for so little is astonishing.
Uh this was the final outcome:

Blazers received:
Ayton
Brogdon
Robert Williams
Toumani camara
3 first round picks
2 pick swaps

They gave up:
Lilliard
Nurkic
Clark
Little

To land lilliard and nurkic we would have had to give up:

Ayton
Bridges
Toumani
Paul (to make $$ work)
3 firsts
2 swaps

And maybe even cam Johnson. And that’s only if they would even take Paul’s contract. Would’ve left us with:

Lilliard
Book
Gordon
Little
Nurk

Lineup. That squad ain’t winning squat.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that you think we could have gotten Dame/Nurk/Allen for older than dirt CP3/Ayton and picks is astonishing. Especially because WE ACTUALLY SAW AYTON’S VALUE TO THE BLAZERS, which was ONLY Nurk/Allen. Who is the Jrue Holiday piece of a straight up Suns/Blazers deal where we could have outbid the other teams to get him. You talk about people being short-sighted while you have a A MASSIVE blind spot in your own proposal.

I mean… without a Jrue-esque piece to make a trade work, and knowing Portland only valued Ayton as equal to Nurk/Allen/Little, you’re saying we could have gotten Dame for CP3 and picks. That’s preposterous. Flat out, 1000% preposterous.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh this was the final outcome:

Blazers received:
Ayton
Brogdon
Robert Williams
Toumani camara
3 first round picks
2 pick swaps

They gave up:
Lilliard
Nurkic
Clark
Little

To land lilliard and nurkic we would have had to give up:

Ayton
Bridges
Toumani
Paul (to make $$ work)
3 firsts
2 swaps

And maybe even cam Johnson. And that’s only if they would even take Paul’s contract. Would’ve left us with:

Lilliard
Book
Gordon
Little
Nurk

Lineup. That squad ain’t winning squat.

Why does Bridges need to be dealt? Ok, we don't get Dame then go for Jrue. CP3's salary is more than Jrue's and we'd be able to offer more picks than Boston did.

Jrue
Booker
Bridges
Cam
Nurkic

That's assuming we still did the Nurk/Ayton deal.