Celtics @ Suns, Saturday 3-9-24

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I’m still confounded but bol’s lack of PT last night.
You could see Boston's continual trips to the rim were halted when Bol was in there. There was one play even the announcers remarked the guy didn't drive when he saw Bol "Lurking."

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I didn't really see any different level.

I would say they screwed up not doubling KD, our other guys were missing the shots that they got, giving them more shots likely makes this more of a blowout for Boston.
I would argue it was bad scouting by Boston, because other teams have doubled KD and Book, in the fourth especially, with great success. I guess they thought with as good of defensive players as they had, they could just play us straight up and stick with their normal defense. One big mistake was not putting Nurk back in when "Boston often planted expert defender Jrue Holiday on a center, shutting down Phoenix’s primary screening actions since no team would willingly put Holiday into the play." Earlier in the game when they tried that with Nurkic in, he just bully balled Jrue. He pretty much had his way inside on offense, and helped slow down the offensive rebounds by Boston. Without Nurkic in there, we lost what little control of the paint we had.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon shouldn’t see the floor anymore. Even with book hurt. Gordon getting 29 minutes to bowl’s 10 on a night where bol is playing as well as he was playing is criminal stupidity. The icing on top was roddy getting minutes.

Beal just isn’t a good enough second banana with book out. He doesn’t possess that next level.

Turnovers still gawd awful.

Any hope to beat a Celtics with subpar games from Grayson and Royce who killed us missing open shots.

Just outclassed.
I think it's only partially Gordon's fault. I have been watching pretty close how they have used him. He is basically either a decoy or they park him on the 3 point line the vast majority of the time. Gordon's game used to be a bunch of driving and mid-range shots. That isn't even in the regular playbook with Vogel for him. If Gordon isn't hitting deep 3's he is pretty much useless on the court. Vogel is a huge reason for his ineffectiveness although Gordon's lack of aggressiveness is a factor too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's only partially Gordon's fault. I have been watching pretty close how they have used him. He is basically either a decoy or they park him on the 3 point line the vast majority of the time. Gordon's game used to be a bunch of driving and mid-range shots. That isn't even in the regular playbook with Vogel for him. If Gordon isn't hitting deep 3's he is pretty much useless on the court. Vogel is a huge reason for his ineffectiveness although Gordon's lack of aggressiveness is a factor too.

Gordon has been replaced by Beal. Vogel and Kevin Young don't know how to scheme for both being on the floor together without making one of them a decoy who never touches the ball. This offense would be better if they let the players make up plays and sets on the fly. It's the most generic, predictable, and old fashioned offense in the league.