Suns #5 on Hollinger's All-Time NBA Franchises List

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FranchiseRankings-Suns

5. PHOENIX SUNS: 57.85 POINTS PER SEASON (1968-2009)
You must be registered for see images attach

Wins: 1,860
Playoff wins: 120
Series wins: 26
Titles: 0
All-Stars: 59
Best player: Charles Barkley
Best coach: Mike D'Antoni
Best team: 1992-93 (62-20, lost NBA Finals)
Intangibles: +50. Consistently entertaining teams with remarkably few knuckleheads.

"Best franchise never to win a championship" is something of a backhanded compliment, but in the case of Phoenix, it fits. For four decades, the Suns have done everything right except one thing -- win the title in the end. Despite four decades of visionary leadership from Jerry Colangelo, every opportunity has been ruined by some bizarre misfortune or other. One has to wonder whether this is the NBA's version of the cursed Chicago Cubs.

FRANCHISE HISTORY

Phoenix Suns (1968-present)

Phoenix has missed the playoffs only seven times since the merger and has had a staggering 18 50-win seasons in the past 33 years, but in that time, the Suns have made it to only one NBA Finals … in which they lost to the Bulls in six by dropping all three of their home games. From 1988-89 to 1994-95, they won at least 53 games every year and, with stars such as Kevin Johnson, Tom Chambers, Dan Majerle and Charles Barkley, were arguably the league's most talented team.

Somehow, they never won it all. In consecutive seasons, they blew 2-0 leads in the conference semifinals against the Rockets, the second coming with the added kick of a blown lead at home in Game 7 and a kiss-off from Mario Elie after he nailed the game-winning 3-pointer. And in 1990, they seemed poised to make the leap after upsetting the Lakers in five games in the second round of the playoffs, only to suffer four last-second losses to Portland in the conference finals.
A later era with two-time MVP Steve Nash produced more heartbreak, including consecutive conference finals losses and a heartbreaking second-round defeat to eventual champion San Antonio that came about in part because of the suspension of Boris Diaw and Amare Stoudemire in Game 5.
The Suns had one other NBA Finals trip earlier in their history, in 1976, one of only two times in their first nine years that they made the playoffs. That ended in disappointment, too, of course, as the Suns lost one of the most memorable Finals games in history -- a triple-OT affair in Boston in Game 5 -- en route to defeat in six.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Phoenix has missed the playoffs only seven times since the merger and has had a staggering 18 50-win seasons in the past 33 years, but in that time, the Suns have made it to only one NBA Finals …

Umm??? did we forget Boston vs Phoenix?? Or does it not count cause they pulled that feat with less than 50wins? Why would that matter?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Id say that ranking is about right, the Suns are indeed the best team to never win a title. If you're one of these myopic types who are obsessed with 'win a title or the season is meaningless' you'd obviously rank the Suns a lot lower but I think Hollinger did a good job.

We've really been lucky because the Suns have never really endured long stretches of bad teams, we're one of the few franchises to be so lucky.

Phoenix has missed the playoffs only seven times since the merger and has had a staggering 18 50-win seasons in the past 33 years, but in that time, the Suns have made it to only one NBA Finals …

Umm??? did we forget Boston vs Phoenix?? Or does it not count cause they pulled that feat with less than 50wins? Why would that matter?

Since the merger was the phrase that pays in that sentence. The Suns-Celtics finals was a year before the merger.

EDIT: Also notice, under 'best coach' its Mike D'Antoni :D A good argument could be made for Cotton but I think thats probably the right call too.

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We've really been lucky because the Suns have never really endured long stretches of bad teams, we're one of the few franchises to be so lucky.

Funny you should mention that. The luck has just run out.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. 1: Los Angeles Lakers
No. 2: Boston Celtics
No. 3: San Antonio Spurs
No. 4: Chicago Bulls
No. 5: Phoenix Suns
No. 6: Philadelphia 76ers
No. 7: Utah Jazz
No. 8: Portland Trail Blazers
No. 9: Indiana Pacers
No. 10: Houston Rockets
No. 11: Milwaukee Bucks
No. 12: Oklahoma City Thunder
No. 13: Detroit Pistons
No. 14: Miami Heat
No. 15: Orlando Magic
No. 16: New York Knicks
No. 17: Dallas Mavericks
No. 18: Denver Nuggets
No. 19: Cleveland Cavaliers
No. 20: Golden State Warriors
No. 21: New Jersey Nets
No. 22: Atlanta Hawks
No. 23: Washington Wizards
No. 24: New Orleans Hornets
No. 25: Sacramento Kings
No. 26: Minnesota Timberwolves
No. 27: Toronto Raptors
No. 28: Charlotte Bobcats
No. 29: Los Angeles Clippers
No. 30: Memphis Grizzlies

Can not say I really can argue with much on the list other than maybe the Celtics 1 and the Lakers 2. If I was doing the list, I would have put them in a tie since no one can really win the argument. I think if not for the Isiah Thomas years in New York, they would be top 10. Kudos to the Suns for being the best team to never win a championship.

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
That's a great article. It really puts things in perspective.

These next couple of years are going to be very interesting. We're entering into a rebuilding mode and it remains to be seen what the new ownership will be able to accomplish. I expect this year to be a tough season, and 2010 might not be any better; but we could end up with a high lottery pick in 2011.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. The luck has just run out.

Maybe, but I don't think so. As dumb as Sarver and Kerr are, I don't think we're going to go through a Clippers like spell. I suspect we'll be mired in mediocrity, sort of like those late 90s/early 00's Suns teams that would get bounced in the first round. I suspect the Suns are headed for a frustrating stretch of teams good enough to make the bottom of the playoffs but not really be a challenger.

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
Well if it was my list I'd have the Pistons higher. It's not terrible though. And even though they had some good series against MJ & Co. and gave the 3 peat Lakers 6 games in the finals when they were a bunch of old dudes, I really don't think the Pacers have done enough to merit being ranked above a bunch of franchises with multiple championships..

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it's criminal to have OKC at #12

In the 41 seasons from 1968-69 to 2008-09, only four teams have won more regular-season games than the Sonics/Thunder franchise

the sonics are the sonics - the thunder are the thunder

anything from the moment clay bennett assumed ownership should be carved out from a part of sonics history and that franchise would be down near memphis

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I'm impressed by Hollinger with this set of articles. He normally paints himself as an 'unbiased numbers guy' who in truth has a lot of bias toward teams and players which he hides behind the numbers. In this case, his formula approach resulted in a pretty objective (IMO at least) listing of franchise histories/successes. Great read for anyone wanting a history of the league's teams.

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
Well if it was my list I'd have the Pistons higher. It's not terrible though. And even though they had some good series against MJ & Co. and gave the 3 peat Lakers 6 games in the finals when they were a bunch of old dudes, I really don't think the Pacers have done enough to merit being ranked above a bunch of franchises with multiple championships..

I think that I would agree with this. Why were the Pistons dropped down to #13? In fact I'm surprised that they are not ahead of the Suns.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Mike D'Antoni as the best coach is quite the joke however. Maybe statistically because of the limited time he spent here and the amount of talent he had all those years..

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Umm??? did we forget Boston vs Phoenix??

Boston vs. Phoenix was in 1976, which is not within the past 33 years.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would have to agree with the SUNS ranking also. Absolutely the best franchise never to win it all.
Yeah the Pistons are too low.
It's close, but I'd give the HC nod to Fitzsimmons over D'Antoni.
This franchise was in far worse shape when Cotton revived it than it was when DA did. Also, I just happen to think that the team's Cotton built and coached were better than DA's teams.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Also, I just happen to think that the team's Cotton built and coached were better than DA's teams.
I agree. If Mark West could have stayed out of foul trouble throughout his career, a prototype 6'10" 240 lb. Center concentrating on defense, we would probably have reached the promised land.

And if Kevin Johnson had the maturity to work with the Chuckster instead of trying to upstage him. KJ hogging the ball, driving the line and getting blocked with the game on the line became too predictable.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I agree. If Mark West could have stayed out of foul trouble throughout his career, a prototype 6'10" 240 lb. Center concentrating on defense, we would probably have reached the promised land.

And if Kevin Johnson had the maturity to work with the Chuckster instead of trying to upstage him. KJ hogging the ball, driving the line and getting blocked with the game on the line became too predictable.

Why are you blaming KJ for the end of that game when the blame ought to be on Ainge who fell asleep on defense the play before?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why are you blaming KJ for the end of that game when the blame ought to be on Ainge who fell asleep on defense the play before?
Yeah i don't get that. I've never really blamed any one guy for that nightmare game 6 finish. Like most SUNS teams over the years,we've never been very good at guarding people when it mattered.
KJ played a good series.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The author also forgot the Tim Donaghy calls in the playoffs. That has to go in there, but remarkably even though many pundits talk about it in the nba ref scandal arena, it's hardly brought up in other contexts when doling out the lists of bad juju we've had in that respect.

Of course we aren't cursed.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That game was many games. It became predictable that our Point Guard would hog the ball during the last couple of minutes, driving into the land of giants to have his shot blocked.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard